Goodbye Jesus

Christian Goths, Punks, Nerds And Other Jesus Freaks

LastKing

Did anyone els deal with these proud Jesus Freaks?

At some point in my life I found my self deaing with a very odd band of right winged Christians.

I was a shy guy who loved to drawl and write about monsters and other darker things. I quickly discoverd that I was frown upon by other Christians when I started to looking around out sided my more Liberal Church. So at some point a freind showed a group of more "open minded Christians" who accept things like Punk, Gothic, and Nerdy stuff.

Between them and My long time Bathtist Counsler I would say this is ware I delt with most of my classic hypocitical Christian Momments. In some ways its kinda funny. I joined hopping to escape people who would try to control me only to find myself walking into it. Infact there the biggist hypocirts of all the Christian I have ever known. They cerry pick the bible and history to get away with there cloths, musics and othere things but Then Cherry pick it again so they can get away with treating other like dirt, hind from Evolution, and force there way of life on others.

They claim to help Christian who become victims of witch hunts (Harry Potter Books, D&D, Hot Topic Clothing ect.) but the momment it was revieald I have been freinds with a famliy of muslims I was under fire. (I am not saying there are no Muslims guilty of the same stupidty but in this case they were good freinds who I had know for a long time and Christains were the ones being the Ass Holes) I was getting Emails on how to convert mulsims, I was told that I was being "unfair" to my freinds for not warning them about God wriath and Islam was the number 1 religon it was okay to bash becasue of the all people Allah kills in the Koran. Yet the when it to the Christain God, guilty of all the same crimes as Allah in the Koran, we had to look the other way.

Did anyone els have to deal Christian Punks, Goths, or other Jesus Freaks?

Well, that was my crowd when I was in the church, but they weren't as intolerant as you describe. For example, nobody would have flipped out over the fact that you were friends with some Muslims. Hell, we used to have Muslim friends that would come see the Christian punk/hardcore bands play. Maybe it's because we were in California? I dunno.

But I think the thing that characterized them the most was sort of the cognitive dissonance. It's a contradiction not in that they're hypocritical but in that it's a syncretization of contradictory elements. I mean, shit, how do you combine "good Christian boy" with "mohawked street punk"? It makes my brain hurt just thinking about it, and they would have to spit out justification after justification to try and reconcile the contradiction, and a lot of them ended up falling away in part because of the discrepancy.

I was once a Goth for Jesus, but not anymore (well, the Jesus part). I still revel in my gothness.

About five years ago before I deconverted, I worked with a teenage youth pastor at a barista type coffee stand. He was into christian rave music and even made his own mixes. Christian ravers as I recall added Jesus to the popular rave phrase Plur(Peace Unity Love Respect) by changing the term to Plurch(Peace Love Unity Respect Christ Heaven). Given how ravers are into drugs like ecstasy and somewhat casual sex, I have to wonder how christians like him thought it was possible to put a christian candy coating on music that does promote sensuality(Nothing wrong with sensuality though). I have to give the guy some credit though, he wasn't a bad fellow, wasn't as judgemental as a lot of christians are. I kinda miss talking to the guy,even though we're worlds apart in belief now.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be this type of Christian.

I don't really fit into any of the above labels anymore, including Xtian.

I still don't see much wrong with it. There's nothing sacreligious about it, and it's just really their style.

I still don't see much wrong with it. There's nothing sacreligious about it, and it's just really their style.

Eh, maybe I'm old fashioned, or just old... but punk, metal, etc., were supposed to be anti-religious, anti-Christian, etc. Dig up some old hardcore from the early 80s and every fifth song is blasphemous or anti-Christian. And if we're talkin' goth, two words: Christian Death.

is a clip that I think runs along the lines of Christian Goth, but it's a goth Republican (Christian and Republican pretty much go hand in hand for most cases).

I was your basic Christian nerd...I still am nerdy, but no longer Christian.

The whole Goth thing started after I got out of high school, I probably would've gotten into it had it been around then.

There's something really depressing about seeing nerdy Christians. I think it's the fact that they're talking archaic traditions and trying to put a fresh, hip spin on it. Like, "You know who's awesome? Jesus." Right, like Jesus is topical. Thanks for letting me know that.

Maybe it's the fact that Christianity has to dilute everything that it tries to embrace. For example, Christian rock. They take all the ass-kicking out of rock and neuter it down to lame-ass songs about Jesus. It's like drinking soda after all the ice has melted, and you're just left with watery, flat pop.

A few years back, I was channel surfing, and I passed an "Xtreme Sports" show on TBN. I knew this was going to be rich, so I watched. Naturally, since it's on a Jesus channel, it can't just be about sports. Sure enough, some youth minister with bleached blond hair (is that allowed if you're a Christian?), a soul patch, and the whitest teeth ever pops in front of the camera and starts spouting off passages from the Bible. It was like, "Look how cool reading boring Bible passages can be!".

Eh, maybe I'm old fashioned, or just old... but punk, metal, etc., were supposed to be anti-religious, anti-Christian, etc. Dig up some old hardcore from the early 80s and every fifth song is blasphemous or anti-Christian. And if we're talkin' goth, two words: Christian Death.

that's true, but not so much anymore. Christians just warped it, as did the rest of pop culture.

Well, its not so much that there anything wrong with liking that stuff and being religous. (I am still a nerd who like punk/goth things) it just can be kind of hypocitcal for some people. This is very ture if your member of the Religous right which most of my freinds were.

One moment your dress with tattoos, peiceing, waring black, die hair why listing to loud music, ect. then as your doing this your demanding people to accpet you for who you are and how you chose to live your life. Then the next momment your getting on the case of others who pratice another religon, live a secular life, are gay, dont belive what you belive about the bible, dont agree with your politics and demanding that they change there live's.

They claim to be more open minded becasue they like this stuff that we can all live with out but when it comes to other people they there just the same old Fundy only in hot topic clothing.

I ran in the same circles with a few assorted goths, punks and nerds (I still know a Christian punk whose new thing is Christian Anarchy :huh:) but for the most part my youth group and church was full of kids wearing American Eagle. But my favourite part of the book Body Piercing Saved My Life, about a journalist experiencing the Christian music scene, was the part where the author encounters some Christian goths at Cornerstone, hilarity ensues.

What kinda hilarity? Give us an example!

is a clip that I think runs along the lines of Christian Goth, but it's a goth Republican (Christian and Republican pretty much go hand in hand for most cases).

:lmao:

Love it. Used to know a few of these types in HS to various degrees.

However, my HS was rank with the very preppy straight laced types.

I guess I didn't find much wrong with the clothing, ect. because I thought the whole worshiping of Yahweh and his masochistic son kinda of silly on some level. The cherry picking of beliefs I just took for granted.

Neil! We thought you was a toad!

I haven't a clue as to the difference between goths, punks, and emo's. I think we were all nerds back in the day. James Dean and Elvis were considered racy.

My point is that this too shall pass and your grandchildren will giggle at your quaint ways.

There's been kids calling themselves punks since 1976, and there's been kids calling themselves goths since about 1983, although what came to be called "gothic rock" got going in 1978. Even emo has been around since 1985 or so, although the old school stuff and the shit you hear today are two rather different things and there wasn't really a subculture/style surrounding it back then.

So none of the above is going away any time soon.

Emo, as we know it, is a fairly recent thing--within the past ten years.

Emo, as we know it, is a fairly recent thing--within the past ten years.

Look up "Rite of Spring" and "Washington DC" (so that you won't get five hundred hits for Stravinsky) on YouTube. No later than 1986.