Goodbye Jesus

Letting Off A Little Steam...

Ixchel

I posted a well thought out debate on another board, and xian is now a habit to use and I used it. Instead of answering the debate and discussing it, the use of the word xian is being called into question. They're saying that I'm cutting down xians and such. I'm lazy and I dislike using the word Christ anymore. Forgive me for not wanting to type it out. :Hmm: I know this is petty, but I really put a lot of thought into the debate.

I posted a well thought out debate on another board, and xian is now a habit to use and I used it. Instead of answering the debate and discussing it, the use of the word xian is being called into question. They're saying that I'm cutting down xians and such. I'm lazy and I dislike using the word Christ anymore. Forgive me for not wanting to type it out. :Hmm: I know this is petty, but I really put a lot of thought into the debate.

If it makes you feel any better I just vented online over somthing that happen in 2007.

I use "Xian" all the time...it's a way to type it faster and of disassociating with the cult.

Thing is, it gives them something to pick on rather than the heart of the actual debate.

It's the same 'ol Christmas vs. Xmas thing. They think you are trying to take Christ out of _____. However, many of them have the fish symbol with the Greek ΙΧΘΥΣ, the X standing for Christ. So Christians are the ones that started it.

I used to get annoyed at it when I was a Christian. I generally assumed that the person using "Xian" was trying to be snide and belittling. I personally would not use that now, partly because I remember how annoyed it made me back then, and partly because I type about 85 wpm so big words are no biggie.

I'd love to read what you wrote!

PS I wonder what would happen if somebody referred to them as Jesusians, Paulists, or Bibleonians :)

Personally I like the term: Jezombies.

Someone freaked out on me on a parenting board where they host religious debates for using xian. First of all, I was typing on an iPhone, and second of all, she thought I was purposely using it to belittle xians, which I don't. It's just an abbreviation. Luckily, about four atheists came to my defense. What was weird was the woman who yelled at me was also a non-believer. No xians had complained about it, either. Just her. I think people take it way too seriously. I'm sure there are people who use it to put down xians or whatever, but there are people out there who aren't believers and don't feel like typing Christ. I just hate seeing the word. I'm not even sure why. It just makes me feel uncomfortable. It always has, too, even when I was still in the cult.

Right now I'm very active at a forum that is restricted to non-believers-------no Christians or other mono- theists allowed. In there we routinely use "Xtian" as an abbreviation because it's just a pain in the ass to keep typing "Christian" over and over and over again.

I really don't see what the issue is. It's just another example of Christians crying about somebody pissing on their persecution parade.

Seeker's got a point. If referring to them by the term "xtians" offends them, your response can be that you're giving them an opportunity to "rejoice and be exceeding glad" (Matthew 5:11,12).

Isn't that speshul :D

I heard once it the x is an abbreviation in greek for christ but I don't know.

Ever forum I been on has a person that bitches about everything they see just click ignore.

You could put the article on this forum people will respond to it not how you spell xtian.

You could just repost your work replacing xtian with CHRISTian so they see that you have repented of your disrespectful ways. You could have a disclaimer at the top calling them out on getting distracted, so they have to deal with the issues rather than the word.

Personally I use xtian because I'm lazy and frankly it appeals to me and really the only place I'm chatting about xtians these days is here and no one is offended by it. But I use xmas freely in my life, always. It's a reclamation of the word for me... I am purposely removing Christ from Christmas. If people are offended no one has ever said. I celebrate xmas and will continue to do so. Frankly I'd celebrate --mas if I thought anyone would know what I meant. :)

I'm all for not offending people, and if you want to engage in dialogue with xtians (though I have no idea why anyone would) then I suppose you have to play by their rules and not get them hung up on the details. I agree that they probably latched onto the petty words because they had no reasoned response to your post.

Heather

I believe I know what group and thread you are talking about! I am a member there too. I am not using the same user name, this user name will probably look familiar but I stole it and altered it a bit! :lmao: No I am not that crazy psycho who lied about the cancer. If you are who I think you are I came here to this group because you mentioned it at the other group! :grin: I like it here.

I love using the term Xians, to me, it's a legitimate part of the english language that I should use in order to offend Xians.

Yes, I do believe that ex-Xians need to stand up and start getting louder and louder against the Xians. They don't realize the fact that they are members of a death cult that operates solely on rewards that are granted after the person who received them dies. To be a Christian is to waste this life away thinking that god will take care of you, when in fact, it's better relationship with other people that we need the most.

It's like right wingers using the term "libs" when they're talking about liberals. It is at least implicitly condescending, and is often explicitly so. Frankly, it's kind of an asshole thing to do, even if it's unintentional on the part of the person doing it, but maybe that's just me?

It's like right wingers using the term "libs" when they're talking about liberals. It is at least implicitly condescending, and is often explicitly so. Frankly, it's kind of an asshole thing to do, even if it's unintentional on the part of the person doing it, but maybe that's just me?

I'd say it's not, but, well... y'know. ;)

I know when I abbreviate it like that, at least, I do so fully conscious of the fact it's probably going to be received poorly by most Christians reading it.

I'd say it's not, but, well... y'know. ;)

I know when I abbreviate it like that, at least, I do so fully conscious of the fact it's probably going to be received poorly by most Christians reading it.

We are once again on the same wavelength. If you're gonna be an asshole, ya might as well do it consciously and unabashedly. :grin: There's no need to hem and haw around the matter.

Xian

Xian

Xian

Xian

Xian

etc.

*is an asshole.