Has Anyone Here Experienced Something That Could Be Called A Miracle?

Guest AnonyMouse

Guest AnonyMouse

I come from a semi-fundamentalist Pentecostal church, and one of the foundations of our faith is miracles. Miraculous healing and snake handling are the top two (although, thankfully, we do not put on huge snake-handling demonstrations in-church). I have heard numerous personal stories, and was even a witness to one of these myself. Most of them can be explained very easily with a little science, but there are a few that aren't so easily debunked:

1: My grandmother was working somewhere (I believe it was her garden). She had with her two bleach jugs. One of them was clean and filled with water, the other one had actual bleach in it (I have no clue what she was doing with it). At one point she picked up one of the jugs and took several swigs of it. Then she realized it was the jug of bleach. Despite having consumed approximately a cup of the stuff, she was completely unharmed.

2: The church preachers (when we had them, before I was born) never prepared sermons. According to my parents (who are reliable, if not objective) they would simply stand up, the "spirit of God" would come over them, and they would deliver the day's teachings. Now, if this were only on scattered occasions, I would chalk it up to a mixture of psychosomatic influence and sudden inspiration. But the fact that at least one preacher managed to deliver every time, without ever contradicting each other, makes me wonder if there wasn't something else behind it.

3: Another story handed down by my parents is the Spirit of Prophecy, who would come over someone sometimes in the middle of a sermon or meeting. When this happened, the person would drop whatever they were doing, utter the prophecy, then pick up right where they left off. The most famous example, of which I was told in some detail, was a man who was sitting in church when he felt the Spirit come over him. He did not want to prophesy and he stood up and ran for the door. Midway there, he froze in place, spoke the prophecy, then continued running and left the building.

So I'm wondering: Are there any other ex-Pentacostals (or ex-Xians in general) who have had or heard of similar experiences? These happenings are often considered the proof that our church is the One True Church, and I'd like to test that claim.

Yes. Once I had a cold, and I prayed, and prayed, for days, and suddenly the cold went away... just kidding! :HaHa: So many testimonies I heard over the years were this silly. My parents claimed to have experiences some. Actually, thinking about it, one time I had an appointment 60 miles away, and I had this old beat-up car. I was short on gas and short on time. I prayed in the car that the gas would be enough to at least get me to the client, and then I could fill up the tank afterward. And sure enough, God made my car drive on an almost empty tank... (imagine he cared so much for that business meeting, but then completely forgot to protect my family years later from a life-turning accident)... thinking back on the situation, how much can I really trust the gauge, or the fact that I drove really careful? It's a fact that if you drive more consistent and less stop and go, you save a lot of gas. Sometimes I think we make things happen, and then think about it as something more and bigger than it really was.

I prayed in the car that the gas would be enough to at least get me to the client, and then I could fill up the tank afterward. And sure enough, God made my car drive on an almost empty tank...

Our pastor at the church we attend had the same story as that; except he was driving to seminary school. Weird.

So I'm wondering: Are there any other ex-Pentacostals (or ex-Xians in general) who have had or heard of similar experiences? These happenings are often considered the proof that our church is the One True Church, and I'd like to test that claim.

I prayed one time for a certain amount on my check before I opened it, not knowing what it would be since I just started in a bonus program; hoping for this amount, I opened it and 'poof' it was the right amount. Then later added it all up and realized that it would've been the same either way :shrug:

Naw, seriously though. I used to have high blood pressure, overweight, unhealthy, etc. I would have spells in the middle of the night where I would wake up and not be able to breathe. My left arm would feel numb, and I would feel faint. One time I prayed because I thought it was it, I was going to die. And I began to catch my breath. The doctors said that it could have been a mild heart attack; they could not exactly tell unless I had a blood check. I just adjusted my diet, and now I'm fine. I was under much stress then as well. My ex said I had gas :lmao:

Our pastor at the church we attend had the same story as that; except he was driving to seminary school. Weird.

One time (as an atheist) I was running low on gas, and was on my way to the gas station. The last traffic light before the entrance is placed on a downhill. The engine stopped just before I came to the traffic light, and the light just changed to green, and I rolled through the intersection and up the entrance to the station and up to the machines. If I had prayed during those moments, God would have made it happen... but who should I blame for the success now? I suspect the flying spaghetti monster consider gas as evil, so I'm not sure. Maybe the invisible pink unicorn? Dunno...

I prayed one time for a certain amount on my check before I opened it, not knowing what it would be since I just started in a bonus program; hoping for this amount, I opened it and 'poof' it was the right amount. Then later added it all up and realized that it would've been the same either way :shrug:

Oh, yeah, it works like a charm.

Also, when you got a cold or a flu, then pray intensively for a couple of days, and you'll see the miracle when the cold/flu is gone. Amazing, works all the time (except for those who die of pulmonary infection, or something.)

Naw, seriously though. I used to have high blood pressure, overweight, unhealthy, etc. I would have spells in the middle of the night where I would wake up and not be able to breathe. My left arm would feel numb, and I would feel faint. One time I prayed because I thought it was it, I was going to die. And I began to catch my breath. The doctors said that it could have been a mild heart attack; they could not exactly tell unless I had a blood check. I just adjusted my diet, and now I'm fine. I was under much stress then as well. My ex said I had gas :lmao:

Sounds like severe anxiety. You know some physical ailments can have psychogenic reasons.

Maybe it's your subconscious telling you that you're living a delusion! Muahaha!!!

My former pastor always related a story about how his wife was driving home alone on a long distance commute from work one evening and he felt in his "spirit" that something was wrong. So all of a sudden he yelled out loud, "Wake up (his wife's name)! When she returned safely home he asked her if everything was alright. She said while driving home she felt very sleepy and actually dozed off momentarily. Yet suddenly she woke from her daze and avoided an accident. They compared timelines and lo and behold the exact same time he yelled for her to wake up was when she suddenly woke up! Do I believe this story? I certainly did at the time. They sincerely believe it too! Can these things be logically explained? Maybe not. I certainly don't believe it was any divine intervention now. Yet I can see how these type of things can reinforce their nutty beliefs.

Maybe it's your subconscious telling you that you're living a delusion! Muahaha!!!

I don't deny God, nor the ability of God to heal people. But I will say it goes both ways. I have read of medical miracles where doctors couldn't explain what happened; and I have read tragedies of people dying while others where praying for healing, or safety. The why does God protect, heal one; and do nothing in the same manner to another, is unknown to me. I would say it's all math if I didn't believe in Jesus/God. But, it is an unsettled thought for me currently. A topic I could lose my own mind trying to figure out.

I'm not sure of the point of the OP really, or question; but I would say to the OP to check the web; there are many reads on both sides of the fence.

1: My grandmother was working somewhere (I believe it was her garden). She had with her two bleach jugs. One of them was clean and filled with water, the other one had actual bleach in it (I have no clue what she was doing with it). At one point she picked up one of the jugs and took several swigs of it. Then she realized it was the jug of bleach. Despite having consumed approximately a cup of the stuff, she was completely unharmed.

I smell a fish story. That a person could put a bottle of bleach up to her lips and not realize what it is until after she's taken several full swallows seems dubious, at the very least.

I have a color TV from the mid-1980s. It fixes itself. No kidding. The color went out on it. At one time it had a big swatch of rainbow color across the screen. This effect gradually lessened until now the color is absolutely perfect. Seriously, I think the color is better on this TV than the Sony I bought in 2002.

Recently I see that the horizontal hold is slipping. When it first comes on, the picture rolls, then stabilizes after a few minutes. I will keep you all updated and let you know if this problem corrects itself.

But I will say it goes both ways. I have read of medical miracles where doctors couldn't explain what happened; and I have read tragedies of people dying while others where praying for healing, or safety.

Being unable to explain why the human body does X and being a miracle are 2 entirely different things.

I was in pentacostal holiness CofG for 2 decades and never saw anything vaguely supernatural. My mother prayed for her diabetic baby every Sunday for years. Big guy had someone more important on the other line.

Deva, color swatches on a CRT are caused by being too close to a magnet, speakers usually. When the magnetism wears off, back to normal.

and I have read tragedies of people dying while others where praying for healing, or safety. The why does God protect, heal one; and do nothing in the same manner to another, is unknown to me. I would say it's all math if I didn't believe in Jesus/God. But, it is an unsettled thought for me currently. A topic I could lose my own mind trying to figure out.

I know what you mean on this one! There was about a year period when I was an AOG deacon and there were several people that died within our church body. A few old, but several younger people even one physically disabled child. One of my friends who died was only 36 and had a brain aneurysm during a church function. Scores of people prayed around the clock, prayer vigils in her ICU room. She was in a coma about a month then died. The physically disabled child was constantly in and out of hospitals. Many prayers offered up, his parents even took him to a Benny Hinn crusade and the man himself prayed over him to no avail of course. The child died about a month later. One man in our church died of AIDS. It got to the point where even my pastor was beginning to question what god was doing. All these prayers and nothing happens, no miracles. Chalk it up to god's plan! Hit the "easy" button! Yet we hear of reports of miracles all the time! Some major stuff like cancer being healed. Or minor, "He blessed me with a promotion at work" type miracles. You all have heard them before. Now when I hear of supposed blessings and miracles I just think that the biblegod is pretty picky whom he chooses to help out. You see everyday of reports of children being kidnapped, raped and murdered and being buried in some scumbag's back yard. Now I ask myself if I were an omniscient, omnipotent god would I allow even one child do go through that horror? How could you even watch this going on (All-Seeing) day after day, year after year, for literally thousands of years of human history? Not only to children but adults as well all over the earth! Think about one single day on this earth and all the murders and rapes that take place and other mayhem. Biblegod is purported to being a witness to all this. It can truly boggle the mind! It's incomprehensible. And reprehensible to cowtow to any god who does nothing to stop this madness!

One more example and I'll stop ranting! I recently read on a christian forum about a woman who was in a concert band about to give a performance in a strange town she was not familiar with. Someone spilled a coke on her formal concert attire so she was in a quandry about what to do. She had to get to the local Walmart to purchase replacement clothing. Obviously she did not know how to get there and there was limited time before the concert started. She got in her car and rushed off praying all the while for the lord to lead and guide her to the Walmart. She related the holy spirit actually told her where to turn and which way to go. Yet miraculously the lord's help didn't stop there! After she made it to Walmart, praising god all the while, she became stressed out as to what clothing to buy to fit the appropriate concert attire. She said she heard the holy spirit tell her which clothes to buy. Correct size and all! So she buys the "divinely inspired" clothes and rushes out to her car. But she forgets how to get back to the concert area! More praying. Well the lord is such a gentleman he obviously guides her back and the concert performance goes off without a hitch. Praise god!

Well, does everyone remember the twelve-year old girl Caliegh(sp?) from Florida a couple of years ago who was snatched right on camera at a local mall? We all know her tragic end. Raped, tortured and murdered. You think she was screaming out to biblegod to help her? For a miracle? For someone to intervene? Maybe biblegod was too busy helping another "true" christian find a parking space close to the store so they wouldn't have to walk as far. Afterall, they breathed a little prayer to have him find one for them! My point is, when I hear of these "testimonies" and then I think back of what happened to Caliegh and many, many other tragic stories, I have to raise the bullshit flag. It just does not compute. And it is just one more nail in the coffin of christianity!

Recently I see that the horizontal hold is slipping. When it first comes on, the picture rolls, then stabilizes after a few minutes. I will keep you all updated and let you know if this problem corrects itself.

Now that is a praise report I am anxiously waiting to hear about! I hereby stand together with you, DevaLight, in prayer for that TV to be healed. Where two or three are gathered together in my name.....I stand against you devil for afflicting that TV with picture rolling! Praise jesus! :jesus:

I think one thing that has to be taken into consideration is that when the mind is in such a state of delusion that it is seeking proof of the power of god, anything is likely to be interpreted as a proof of that belief. I think xtians do go out without doubt looking for such "proofs" for this very reason. In such situations it is very easy to interupt something as "miraculous" to support the pre-formed belief!

Guest AnonyMouse

I smell a fish story. That a person could put a bottle of bleach up to her lips and not realize what it is until after she's taken several full swallows seems dubious, at the very least.

I had wondered if maybe she hadn't drank the water, then panicked when she realized that the jug of bleach was so close by and, as the human brain tends to do, assumed the worst. I just don't necessarily want to dismiss it out of hand.

The point of the question was just to find out whether this "inexplicable miracle" phenomenon was widespread. Among other things, I'm trying to find out whether there is any possibility to a supernatural aspect, and if so, whether our church has the monopoly that they claim it does on this stuff. And I figured that ex-Christians would be the best people to ask, since they would be able to look at these events objectively and decide whether they were all that weird or not. I did try an Internet search; I have a lot of trouble getting good results.

I had wondered if maybe she hadn't drank the water, then panicked when she realized that the jug of bleach was so close by and, as the human brain tends to do, assumed the worst. I just don't necessarily want to dismiss it out of hand.

The point of the question was just to find out whether this "inexplicable miracle" phenomenon was widespread. Among other things, I'm trying to find out whether there is any possibility to a supernatural aspect, and if so, whether our church has the monopoly that they claim it does on this stuff. And I figured that ex-Christians would be the best people to ask, since they would be able to look at these events objectively and decide whether they were all that weird or not. I did try an Internet search; I have a lot of trouble getting good results.

..... let's not forget the bleach story has also come to you 2nd hand! You were obvious not a witness to that event. This situation could also be exaggerated if the person concerned was a Christian due to that person wanting to believe it was a miracle from their pre-formed state of mind.

I would also with your statement above say this. "The point of the question was just to find out whether this "inexplicable miracle" phenomenon was widespread." Remove the word "miracle" from the sentence and yes it could be widespread. Unfortunately the human brain particularly when already in a state of pre-formed delusion has the knack of chalking up unexplained matters as miracles! I can relate personally with events in my own life which if I was still in the faith I could chalk into the "miracle" category. Having dropped the "faith" aspect out of the equation these events do though either have a realistic or logical explanation.

What you will find is that just about every single case is anecdotal. What is clear is that there are no documented and verified stories of limbs regrowing, et al. Any cases that are documented and verified, such as cancer remission, can easily be explained by statistics which allow for a certain number of outliers.

The biggest problem that xians have with miracles, however, is that if god can and does indeed perform miracles then that makes god negligent in the cases of all those who have suffered horrifically and not gotten an answer to their prayers.

I can give you many instances where heartfelt prayers given in faith were left unanswered. The most profound case for me was my uncle who recently died of bone cancer (one of the most painful ways to die). He was a pentecostal pastor, loved by his community and one of the most sincere believers I've ever known. He literally had thousands praying for his healing yet when he died after 5+ years of suffering even massive doses of morphine could not ease his suffering. Juxtapose that kind of pain with the measly suffering that Jesus supposedly suffered for a mere 18 our so hours.

• 2 weeks later...

If your grandma were to open up a gallon of bleach that I just bought from the grocery store and drink 1/2 cup in front of me, I would be *astounded*. However, reading on a forum the story that someone's grandma told them does not a miracle make.

Don't start with the premise of "hey, some miracles have happened--I've heard about them!" Start with this premise: "There is no such thing as miracles."

The first premise will leave you confused and unsure about life. The second premise will leave you without disappointment ... every .... damn .... time.

I experienced a miracle once!

I turned on Discovery Channel one day, and there was a SCIENCE program on!

I've had several things happen but in hindsight, I don't believe they are miracles:

I had an old 1969 Buick Skylark, and I took it in to have tires put on. I was traveling the next day to Rock Springs, Wyoming, from Salt Lake City, Utah. A Catholic friend asked his priest to bless my car, which he did. I arrived in Rock Springs okay, except my car had spun all but one lug nut off the right rear tire and the last nut was at the top of the lug when I pulled into my destination. I don't believe the blessing kept my car from coming apart at 70 mph but my friend did and still does (this was 1981). Since then I've also learned to check the nuts after the nuts put them back on after changing tires.

My mother was told she had six months to live due to hepatitis C from blood transfusion. My family and I held a prayer vigil for her on the evening she was told she had end-stage liver disease and she pulled through 13 more YEARS of life! She passed away on Good Friday 2001.

I was able to find a house I could afford in 2005, just before the economic crunch came!

I am able to afford my house payments in the middle of the economical crunch! Can't afford to go anywhere but I can afford my bills.

I was the first person to use a snowboard in the Alaskan Aleutian Islands in 1976, to go down about a 300' cliff, without killing and maiming myself for life. Might have been the small boulders and rocks that kept me from getting hurt on the bigger ones? I dunno, I just dunno!

Guest Marty

I don't deny God, nor the ability of God to heal people.

Yea, but god didn't heal you. You said yourself you changed your diet. THAT is what changed your situation...don't give god the credit for what you did!

I was born in 1956 and several months later in May 1957, our housing area was whacked by a very nasty tornado. We lived in a trailer at the time and survived while some who had houses did not. The sides of the trailer were stripped off and the wind shook the place and stuff went flying around the room--what my mother told me about it--and the trailer was pretty much left in one piece. My bed was knocked over but I slept through all of it. The community was Ruskin Heights.

Go here for the story: http://test.crh.noaa.gov/eax/?n=ruskinheightstornado

Experienced a miracle? Yeah, I lost my belief even when I didn't want to. Other than that? Nope. Not in 30 years. I wanted it, I needed it many times, but never saw one in my life, or any of my friends life. The only supposed "miracles" that happened was when the church managed to raise another million dollars to pay for yet another annex or office building. But I don't call those things miracles but rather the dedication and offering of a bunch of losers who think their imaginary friend is real (and I was one of those losers...)

I don't deny God, nor the ability of God to heal people. But I will say it goes both ways. I have read of medical miracles where doctors couldn't explain what happened; and I have read tragedies of people dying while others where praying for healing, or safety. The why does God protect, heal one; and do nothing in the same manner to another, is unknown to me. I would say it's all math if I didn't believe in Jesus/God. But, it is an unsettled thought for me currently. A topic I could lose my own mind trying to figure out.

That is true. The medical field has seen situations where untreatable conditions has reversed or someone healed up much faster than usual, but on the other hand they also have started to discover how powerful the healing process in our body is, and how it can be triggered to do "miracles" we thought were impossible before. I didn't read it, but I saw the headline for some article not long ago to this effect, that the body can heal many cancers on its own, and that this was unknown to medicine before. So what we call miracle today, might be just rational science tomorrow. But it's true, there are things we can't explain... yet.

Just consider that in the time of Jesus epilepsy was demon possession, and treated with fasting and prayers. The success rate was probably acceptable, because a certain percentage only have one seizure in their life. Everyone could from too much stress, wrong died, and other factors, get a seizure and never get it again. So prayer must have worked well on everyone in that group, while the more resilient epileptic demons possessed the rest.