Fundie Xtians ... Why Is Your Religion Not A Religion?

Realist

One of the fundie xtian statements I have always treated with the contempt it deserves is the statement that their version of christianity IS NOT a religion!

I have heard their tired old arguments to support their position which hold absolutely NO water!! Go and take the time to check dictionary definitions of "religion." Come on fundies .... does that not just show how brainwashed you really are??

Easy. Whatever any given fundy happens to believe is the Ultimate Truth™ and therefore not a religion. Religion is only the false beliefs of muslims, atheists, buddhists, and maybe catholics, all of whom are actually worshipping satan and his demons.

They call it a relationship instead. Jesus is the worst friend anyone could ever have.

This is why I have trouble with loving him.

He wants me to hate my parents and to renounce my whole life, plus he wants me to abandon everything I possess. I'm tired of trying to be with people who will love me if I change. I want to be loved because I am what I am.

They call it a relationship instead. Jesus is the worst friend anyone could ever have.

I agree. Jesus is nothing but a pile of lies and broken promises. Praying with faith is supposed to move mountains? Not in my experience.

"What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear". So goes the old song, but even when I was a Christian I always had to bear my own grief. Jesus never protected me or helped me. As for "sin" it doesn't exist.

but it's funny how they say it's not a religion, but they argue atheism is *shaking head*

Exactly.

And if Christianity isn't a religion, is it still protected under the Constitution? While if atheism is a religion, can American Atheists get a tax break?

In my experience, xtians always use this argument to prove why their religion should be given more special treatment over everybody else. They argue that since they have a relationship with Jesus, then they can't separate their religion from their politics because Jesus encompasses their whole lives and it's apparently impossible for them to do their worldly secular jobs unless they can make love to Jesus 24/7. At least that's the way I've always seen them act when they use this cliche. What I want to know is what is the biblical basis for it?

I can tell you what the mindset was, as a former fundie who used the "relationship not religion" line, and believed it.

Religion is an organized system of rituals, traditions, rules, law, spiritual practices, and so on, with leaders (priests) and followers (sheeple). Religion is what the Pharisees were part of, and we didn't want to be like the Pharisees. We wanted to be like Jeebus.

Truth be told, there was a strong element of pride and arrogance in it: we pitied people who were religious. We considered religion a cold, sterile, legalistic thing, rife with people going through ritualistic motions without having any real connection to the living god - unlike us, of course. We looked down on religion and looked down on the average churchgoer, because unlike us, they didn't have a direct line to god's son. Unlike us, they were simply modern-day Pharisees.

I think the whole "relationship not religion" thing was part of a larger effort to disassociate ourselves from the rest of Christianity. We were the TrueChristians™, after all, doing our best to walk in the loving steps of Jeebus; it was those other people claiming to be Christian who were capable of things like religious persecution and holy wars, not us.

It was, of course, stupid and arrogant bullshit. It isn't possible to have a relationship with a dead guy who may not have existed in the first place. Really, claiming we had a relationship with Jeebus was just a way of exalting ourselves, giving us a justification for behaving with the same superiority complex as the modern-day Pharisees we claimed not to be.

It's a contemptible position. I commend anyone unwilling to fall for it.

Guest TxToastz

Ok I was raised in fundy christianity my whole life.

I received the gift of tongues at church camp, and everyone around me on sundays was always speaking in this gibberish and lifting their hands so for me it WAS NORMAL!!!!

I know that I never actually recieved this gift and that I was talking in gibberish but when I did adults would "REWARD" me much like you reward a dog for the shake or roll over command.

One question I do have is how do people "ACTUALLY SERIOUSLY BELIEVE" that they have a personal relationship with jesus? Like does he apear and talk to you? (Obviously not) but what then, or why do you beleive soooo much?

I just can't comprehend this.

If I had any other imaginary friend other than "JEEBUS" that I had a personal relationship with I would be locked up in and insane asylum.

I can tell you what the mindset was, as a former fundie who used the "relationship not religion" line, and believed it.

Religion is an organized system of rituals, traditions, rules, law, spiritual practices, and so on, with leaders (priests) and followers (sheeple). Religion is what the Pharisees were part of, and we didn't want to be like the Pharisees. We wanted to be like Jeebus.

Truth be told, there was a strong element of pride and arrogance in it: we pitied people who were religious. We considered religion a cold, sterile, legalistic thing, rife with people going through ritualistic motions without having any real connection to the living god - unlike us, of course. We looked down on religion and looked down on the average churchgoer, because unlike us, they didn't have a direct line to god's son. Unlike us, they were simply modern-day Pharisees.

I think the whole "relationship not religion" thing was part of a larger effort to disassociate ourselves from the rest of Christianity. We were the TrueChristians, after all, doing our best to walk in the loving steps of Jeebus; it was those other people claiming to be Christian who were capable of things like religious persecution and holy wars, not us.

It was, of course, stupid and arrogant bullshit. It isn't possible to have a relationship with a dead guy who may not have existed in the first place. Really, claiming we had a relationship with Jeebus was just a way of exalting ourselves, giving us a justification for behaving with the same superiority complex as the modern-day Pharisees we claimed not to be.

It's a contemptible position. I commend anyone unwilling to fall for it.

Gwenmead you read my mind perfectly! There must be a universal set of brainwashing tools for christians, because you have just worded exactly everything I used to think and believe as a christian. Wow...very succint and true. :)

I received the gift of tongues at church camp, and everyone around me on sundays was always speaking in this gibberish and lifting their hands so for me it WAS NORMAL!!!!

Same here. It was a way of life. Praying and singing in tongues on the Monday, Thursday, and Sunday, besides praying each morning and evening privately of course. And Christians think that I didn't try hard enough?

One question I do have is how do people "ACTUALLY SERIOUSLY BELIEVE" that they have a personal relationship with jesus? Like does he apear and talk to you? (Obviously not) but what then, or why do you beleive soooo much?

Exactly. It's not like we go out with Jesus to a dance club, or the bar and have a beer and chat about work. Relationships is more than a one-way-street. To have a relationship with Jesus is like having a cellphone which is dead, and you keep on talking in it in hopes that your voice will go through anyway, but you never hear anything back.

If I had any other imaginary friend other than "JEEBUS" that I had a personal relationship with I would be locked up in and insane asylum.

That's right.