To Go Or Not To Go?

LastKing

Hhhmmm.

If you read through some of my threads you will find one of the problems I have been having is getting a chance to really check out other religons. I read about them and chat about it online but I dont get to really meet anyone Execpt for Christians. Well not long ago I did discover that there is a Hindu tempal about 5 to 10 miles away from my house. There is a decent amount of hindus ware I live so its not that small either. I have been reading on eastern religons and hindusims dose have its place in my studys along with Buddhism and Taoism. The qustion is should I take a look or not?

I dont want a repeat of my Christain days or fall pray to somthing wores. So that why I have not jumped on the idea of going in for a look. Although there are things that I admit that I like about Hinduism I also found some major red flags from some others groups (things like the cast system, how marriage works and Gurus that remind me of Tv Christian Fundys) Now I dont know what these people views are on these subjects, If there for any of these things then you can forget about it. If there more like some of the hindus I have talk to online, reject theses things or are very open minded I might consider taking a look. Even if it turns out they are really nince people It still might be hard because I would be the one white guy going. Its the frist meeting place of a non-Christian religon that I found thats really close to me and I have wanted to check out a non-Christian relgion out for a long time. So could this could be my frist chance to really do that but I to make sure its safe. That is why I am debating about it.

So what do you think? Should I try talking to these people or should I pass?

Well, the important questions are these:

What are Hindus like where you are? They could be different. The Hindus spoken online reject some of the traditions and teachings? Maybe the ones at the temple do too.

Hinduism has gurus that seem like Christian fundies? Well, if Christianity has fundies few Christians listen to, maybe Hinduism does too, and Islam, Judaism, Wicca, atheism, Jedi, Pastafarianism. (I'd kinda like to see the Pastafarian one, actually... :scratch: ) Where there are TV fundies, there are people in the same religion who think they're silly.

Are you really the only white guy going? What's wrong with that, really?

LastKing, I think you should go. If you don't like what's presented to you, you don't have to buy into it. Also, you could study and learn about Hinduism, and take from it what you think is good and leave what you think is bad. Just remember, you're the one making the decisions, and don't let anyone tell you what to believe, choose what you think is best for you.

Try it and see if you like it or not.

Talk to people their and see what it's like.

If you don't like it maybe you'll atleast make some friends and not feel so alone.

If I were interested, I would try to speak to someone at the temple, or e-mail them before a visit. That way you would know something about what the protocol (customs) are in the place. You might also get a general idea of what beliefs they have.

Hinduism is so large and varied in its range of beliefs. Probably there is fundamentalism found in individuals of all religions since it is really a way of looking at the world.

The foreign cultural baggage is something you have to deal with in any eastern religion. The strangeness may wear off after awhile.

If you really want to know, you just have to take the plunge. I understand you are not wanting to make a mistake, but what is the worst that happens? If it becomes uncomfortable, then you leave. On the other hand, you may find it very interesting and possibly inspiring.

Are you really the only white guy going? What's wrong with that, really?

You make some good points but the reason why me being a white guy might matter deals with wether or not they belive in the cast system. If they belive in it then I cant go becasue it will mean you can only be born as a Hindu to enter there tempal. So since I am a blue eyed white guy considering going to a tempal ware most of the members are Indian I will be busted for being an outsider just by walking in and if they accept the Cast system I wont be a welcome sight either.

If I were interested, I would try to speak to someone at the temple, or e-mail them before a visit. That way you would know something about what the protocol (customs) are in the place. You might also get a general idea of what beliefs they have.

Hinduism is so large and varied in its range of beliefs. Probably there is fundamentalism found in individuals of all religions since it is really a way of looking at the world.

The foreign cultural baggage is something you have to deal with in any eastern religion. The strangeness may wear off after awhile.

If you really want to know, you just have to take the plunge. I understand you are not wanting to make a mistake, but what is the worst that happens? If it becomes uncomfortable, then you leave. On the other hand, you may find it very interesting and possibly inspiring.

I think will try to email them first. Your Right Deva, I will have the Foreigner thing following me around weather it was Buddhism, Jainism or Taoism. I am little new to Easter religons (or Anything Non-Christian) so I guss I am still getting use to it.

I think will try to email them first. Your Right Deva, I will have Foreigner thing following me around weather it was Buddhism, Jainism or Taoism. I am little new to Easter religons (Anything Non-Christian) so I guss I am still getting use to it.

OK. Let us know how it goes.

for LastKing-----------------

I don't know how long it's been since you put Christianity behind you, but I have to ask why you are so intent on picking up another religion of any kind? I looked very briefly at Buddhism, but found that there was really not much there that you can't draw from secular philosophy, other than maybe reincarnation and a couple of other things. Hinduism, as I understand it, is polytheistic. If that is indeed the case, why swap one god for many?

for LastKing-----------------

I don't know how long it's been since you put Christianity behind you, but I have to ask why you are so intent on picking up another religion of any kind? I looked very briefly at Buddhism, but found that there was really not much there that you can't draw from secular philosophy, other than maybe reincarnation and a couple of other things. Hinduism, as I understand it, is polytheistic. If that is indeed the case, why swap one god for many?

I agree with this. I have found myself over the past 6 months almost desperately trying to find a religion to be comfortable with. Why???? Because I am still uncomfortable thinking for myself...I am unsure of myself and I feel very alone. But you know what....I would rather be alone and lonely than to go back to my christian ways and church. I have been purposely trying to stay away from any organized religion...too soon for me and it's been over a year. Just be careful with any church/temple.

Taking one groups fairy tales and myths of how the world came to be right after leaving anothers' can't be good.

Believe what can be proven. "You have to have faith" is a red flag in any religion.

If it's the pomp and circumstance you miss join a dance club, or get a hobby. Figuring out a whole new set of religious rules is ludicrous.

I believe it would be a great experience and then you will know for yourself what you want to do. I know a Hindu man where I used to live in Wyoming. Very nice man, a Raja. He attended a Methodist church because there was no other place for him to worship in that area. I believe they attend services so as not to make other gods angry? I'm not sure of this so don't take my word for it. I think a trip to a Hindu temple would be educational for many reasons. To be invited is an honor so i would go if invited.

• 2 weeks later...
Update.

I try emailing them and they never answerd.

This has been asked before, but do they have a website? If they have a schedule you could drop by before an event starts, say about 1/2 hour early and see if you can find someone to talk to who could tell you about the particular practice they are doing. If nothing else, try e-mailing them again.

It just depends how curious you are, I guess.

Update.

I try emailing them and they never answerd.

Hindus tend to be pretty chill about their religion. It depends on the sect though. There aren't really Hindu fundamentalists in the sense of Christian fundamentalism, but there are Hindu chauvanists, and they are almost as bad and just as annoying. Basically they go around denigrating other religions, especially Islam. They don't claim that Hinduism is right, just that it's the best because it's the oldest and most profound. But according to these assholes, you have to be born a Hindu--you can't convert later.

My father is a Hindu and I have a lot of Hindu friends. Most Hindus I know are really relaxed about the whole thing.