Being Exorcised, 'slain In The Spirit', Talking In Tongues, The Toronto Blessing Etc....

Guest I_Love_Seitan

Guest I_Love_Seitan

I am really interested in what people think really goes on with all that weird behaviour exhibited in pentecostal churches. Especially when people get exorcised and writhe on the floor etc. I have in mind the Australian Documentary series John Safran vs God - a fascinating and very funny series. Anyway in the last one he was exorcised by American tv evangelist Bob larsen - and it seemed to be really realistic. He never said much about what happened afterwards. So anyway, what do you guys think happens with all this stuff? Mass hypnosis/hysteria? The power of suggestion? What?

Hysteria /mob mentality is the answer. I grew up in the Ass of God Church. Most of the people who went to that church were not that educated, in fact, education took a back seat especially in the xtian school.

They believe there is a devil lurking behind every corner, waiting to trip you up. He will use a person, a personal issue, a wrong thought et al. They 100% Believe their is spiritual warfare going on, reason and logic are not welcome and are forms of Satan trying to get you to question god. Fear, self hating, despair are all chains of sorts that keep people going and keep them trapped in that mindset. Have a flat tire? It's god punishing you, you've must have not made him happy, he's trying to get your attention. He allows things like this to happen to bring us closer to him. You need and must be delivered... :rolleyes: We are in the last day's et al. Slain in the spirit, talking in tongues, praise and worship are all "gifts" in this awful life, to not use them puts you on walking the path to Satan's control or rejecting gods 'gifts'. Either tool of manipulation works.

During praise and worship they usually get the music, the prayer, some sort of 'prophecy' yelled out by one of the more hysterical members who just have to share some secret message with the congregation. Feelings of importance is a strong motivator for some. Hysteria usually takes over people who so desperately wants to have god touch them too :god: . In Voodoo people go into speaking in a sort of tongues, fits/dancing in the spirit and trances as well, same type of concept. It's controlled by emotionalism and hysteria the same way.

I don't know what to make of it. I never felt anything when anyone laid hands on me, but my wife and niece both would feel something like electricity and then lose the strength in their legs and crumple to the floor. My wife was a believer, but my niece was not. I once felt power zip through my body up and down for quite a while and shaking visibly in a service where we were worshiping God, and what felt like a ball of power in my abdominal region. This gave a ton of credence to what the preacher was saying, but in retrospect it might have been a spiritual thing that was happening, but I no longer believe what he has to say anymore. My wife tends to think that there is some kind of God that responds when lots of people get together to worship, but we don't really know at this point.

I came from the Ass of God :lmao: as well, and I don't have very much to add to the above, except for this.

I could be off base, but it must be easier to walk away from one of those musty old mainline churches, or even from a tight-ass Southern Baptist church. But when your church experiences are so visceral, so freakish, so frighteningly and horrifyingly real, and when the delusion is so collective that it overrides your individuality, it's very, very difficult to convince yourself that the nightmare isn't real. To this day I'm not so sure, and I look back on some of those experiences and think "oh fuck, oh fuck... that was so real then... and I'm not so sure now that it wasn't real...."

Walking away from bat-shit Pentecostalism will keep you awake for many a night.

I came from the Ass of God :lmao: as well, and I don't have very much to add to the above, except for this.

I could be off base, but it must be easier to walk away from one of those musty old mainline churches, or even from a tight-ass Southern Baptist church. But when your church experiences are so visceral, so freakish, so frighteningly and horrifyingly real, and when the delusion is so collective that it overrides your individuality, it's very, very difficult to convince yourself that the nightmare isn't real. To this day I'm not so sure, and I look back on some of those experiences and think "oh fuck, oh fuck... that was so real then... and I'm not so sure now that it wasn't real...."

Walking away from bat-shit Pentecostalism will keep you awake for many a night.

Vomit Comet, I totally agree with you there....I lay awake some nights with those horrifying thoughts...or I try not to think about it at all cause I don't want to remember. But I also agree with the others on here. Mob and mass hysteria does seem to sweep through those buildings and people do build up in their mind that they want a touch from god and get right into it and almost bring it on themselves...I have seen some really, really stupid stuff in my times, and even as a xtian then I thought it was just hysteria and people going overboard. On the other hand, I have been slain in the spirit whatever that means and yeah it was weird. But its all personal experience, no-one can qualify it so to me its worthless. If god wants us all to know truth he should be giving it out in the most universal method and it appears he doesn't.

If the church ever applied its own superstitions to its own members then those Pentacostals rolling around and speaking in tongues and other bizarre behaviors would fit the definition of demonic possession. I attended mostly Ass of God Churches and other Pentacostal churches before I deconverted, in fact, they pushed me over the edge to deconvert after seeing the shows they put on. Then I hear about how some saw angels too. I agree that most seem ignorant and uneducated like those claiming encounters with UFO and aliens. Wouldn't intelligent aliens or angels for that matter seek out someone with an IQ higher than a fruit salad to give a message from God to? I used to watch the holy rollers start speaking in tongues and then the others would join in and away goes the circus. Makes for neat entertainment on Sunday morning.

From Kathlene: If god wants us all to know truth he should be giving it out in the most universal method and it appears he doesn't.

Hmm that is an interesting point I hadn't thought of before and makes good sense if you think about it. You don't see a strong consensus throughout most of Xianity involving the display of these "miraculous events". This is just a rough guess, but most of Xianity in the world is either Catholic or Conservative Evangelical and would probably guess that 5% are Pentecostal/Charismatic which exhibit this phenomena. So, if these supernatural experiences are "of God", then why no consensus throughout most of Xianity. This issue always perplexed me when I was a Xian. The Pentecostal says that unless you have the evidence of speaking in tongues, you don't have the Holy Spirit in your life. So what does that mean, that the billions of other Xians who make up the other 95% are some other form of Xian, less important then the Charismatic one. It just doesn't make any sense. If these supernatural "gifts" are of God, then why do such a minute amount of Xians in the world have them.

I actually "spoke in tongues" as a Xian at one time, but have also come to realize after study that pagans in ancient cultures have babbled in un-intelligible tongues as well. I've also read some psychology that explains that the human mind has this proven capability. I'm not saying these events are not supernatural (I don't know everything, they could be), but also know that they can happen apart from Xianity as well. As far as demon possession is concerned, there has also been a proven element through science of psychosis or split personalities, etc. Also, Hindus and Muslims have so called "exorcised demons" as well. So what's up with that? So, my view regarding these things is quite honesty, I don't really care to know anymore. Since the elusive Xian God has seemingly not showed much of an interest in revealing it's significance to me personally and/or 95% of Xians in the world, is it really that important to Xianity anyway? Seems this Xian God is more interested in stayin' quiet unless he wants to "speak" through his chosen inspired few to heap more condescension on us.

Guest I_Love_Seitan

Thanks for the interesting comments people. This is something that has/does perplex me as an ex xtian. ( I love the 'ass of god' thing :D I want to know - if you belong to the Ass of God church - how does God know you are a church member and not a hemorrhoid? :grin: sorry..... )

yes...I guess it does fit the demonic possession definition - even if somewhat loosely....and I have to agree with you VC....If Catholicism didn't give me enough guilt already, Pentecostalism sure finished the job.....boy do I have an overactive guilt gland! I used to be so bad I would feel guilty for what other people did! That has been the worst thing for me....the fucking guilt.....

That stuff is hilarious. I grew up Methodist/Baptist very mundane. As I got older, I went to some charismatic/pentacostal churches. People seeking attention and wanting to prove how much closer to gawd than the others.

As an unbeliever, I'm tempted to visit some of these churches just for laughs.

That stuff is hilarious. I grew up Methodist/Baptist very mundane. As I got older, I went to some charismatic/pentacostal churches. People seeking attention and wanting to prove how much closer to gawd than the others.

That's exactly what they are doing--showing off.

I've watched people get "slain in the spirit" before.

Strange how people who are supposedly in the presence of this ultimate being exhibit traits no different then being under hypnosis.

My guess is its just group\mob mentality that allows them to work themselves into a frenzy to the point where they put themselves under.

I've watched people get "slain in the spirit" before.

Strange how people who are supposedly in the presence of this ultimate being exhibit traits no different then being under hypnosis.

My guess is its just group\mob mentality that allows them to work themselves into a frenzy to the point where they put themselves under.

I think I have to absolutely agree with you here Jedah. :HaHa:

It's a psychodrama that the participants play. Since repression is so prevalent in these churches, the most acceptable form of venting is to act like you are possessed.

Oh god, oh fucking god... I remember people pulling shit like that constantly. It was horrific, especially if you were crazy enough to think it was genuine.

yes...I guess it does fit the demonic possession definition - even if somewhat loosely....and I have to agree with you VC....If Catholicism didn't give me enough guilt already, Pentecostalism sure finished the job.....boy do I have an overactive guilt gland! I used to be so bad I would feel guilty for what other people did! That has been the worst thing for me....the fucking guilt.....

In a run-of-the-mill fundie church, you do something naughty and you have just your guilt and the idea that God is watching.

In a bat-shit Pentecostal church, your sin "invites demons in" to fuck with you and your loved ones and do scary things to you, because your sin makes God protect you less. I was constantly afraid that if I didn't live as sinlessly as possible that someone close to me would be driven to suicide by demons, and that it would be all my fault because my sin let them in.

Guest I_Love_Seitan

What you have just said VC reminds me of a story my Dad told me about a Charismatic guy who he knew well from his church. This guy said that his small kids used to get thrown around their bedroom at night by Satan. I could never get my head around that because this guy and his wife were hard core Christians who lived their lives for 'The Lord' and yet He was letting Satan do this to His followers small kids? I used to wonder what, in fact, was actually going on....Of course this guy was convinced that he must be doing the right thing because his family was being attacked by Satan himself...weird!

It's a good way to garner attention.

I just remembered something I learned a while back. Jewish tradition says that a person dies once they are exercised of demons (I don't know how far back it goes). One could use that to say that Jesus did not exercise demons from the crazed guy because he didn't die.

Of course this guy was convinced that he must be doing the right thing because his family was being attacked by Satan himself...weird!

Oh yeah, that too. If you did something awesome like preach a sermon where a bunch of people got saved or where your church group came to see things your way and repent, then usually that same night you'd have some kind of freaky hallucination or something. This was because the demons were pissed at you. But then the angels would come and beat the shit out of the demons because God was really proud of you that night.

So yeah, you do good, and the demons attack you, and they're extra nasty about it because they're pissed, but the angels come faster to save you.

Do bad, and the demons attack you, but the angels won't come for hours because you've sinned and so their angelic hands are tied. So the attack may not be as intense, but it'll drag out for a lot longer.

Shit, you know, really, the best thing to do to keep from having scary hallucinations or attacks (to this day I am not sure what the fuck was happening, it's a giant fucking question mark) was to not do too bad or too good. If you kept from doing any big sins they'd leave you alone, and if you got apathetic and didn't do anything awesome for the Lord, they'd also leave you alone.

Pretty fucked up, yeah?

In a run-of-the-mill fundie church, you do something naughty and you have just your guilt and the idea that God is watching.

In a bat-shit Pentecostal church, your sin "invites demons in" to fuck with you and your loved ones and do scary things to you, because your sin makes God protect you less. I was constantly afraid that if I didn't live as sinlessly as possible that someone close to me would be driven to suicide by demons, and that it would be all my fault because my sin let them in.

Vomit Comet, our experiences relate together so much it scares me that someone halfway round the world knows exactly the same psycho stuff I went through. I can attest to this exact same thinking in my church, my brain and oh my goodness my life! I used to have that exact same fear about my friends, that I would let demons into my life if I sinned and opened the door to them. If that were true, I must be completely riddled with them by now, lol and my friends should be dropping like flies, but their not. Its when I sit back and read other people's experiences and thoughts, that I can see outside my own life and brain so to speak and recognise that it is all so wrong!!! Thanks guys for continuing to share and help me heal my own thoughts and screwed up brain!

Vomit Comet, our experiences relate together so much it scares me that someone halfway round the world knows exactly the same psycho stuff I went through. I can attest to this exact same thinking in my church, my brain and oh my goodness my life! I used to have that exact same fear about my friends, that I would let demons into my life if I sinned and opened the door to them. If that were true, I must be completely riddled with them by now, lol and my friends should be dropping like flies, but their not. Its when I sit back and read other people's experiences and thoughts, that I can see outside my own life and brain so to speak and recognise that it is all so wrong!!! Thanks guys for continuing to share and help me heal my own thoughts and screwed up brain!

Isn't it great to know that someone out there fully understands? There was another guy here too, a youth pastor (similar to Prysm/Cowabunga Jones, except his wife stayed in the fold and left him) named Kevin or something. He had a lot of similar fucked up crazy stories.

Well, as for the demons "getting me" after deconverting. The Kevin youth pastor guy, he was afraid at the possibility that the demons might come back for revenge, and since Jesus was no longer protecting him at all whatsoever he'd be totally helpless and in deep, deep shit. Well, it was the opposite for me. When I deconverted I wasn't sweating that at all. In fact, I figured that if they/it were/was real after all, they'd leave me alone entirely. It would be because they "won." I'd fallen away, gone over to the other side, so they would be high-fiving each other shouting "we got another one!" just like how the angels supposedly rejoice in heaven when someone gets saved. Fucking with me any further, even covertly, would be counter-productive, because then I would have evidence that I'd made the wrong move and would run screaming and crying back to Jesus. "Oh shit!!! It was real after all!!!! Jesus, take me back!!!! Aaaaauuuuuughhhhhh!!!!"

So basically, the more they leave me alone, and the better my life goes from here on out without Jesus in it, the more likely they'll see me in hell where they can rape me up the ass with a pitchfork forever or some shit like that. So it would make far, far more sense for them to make me think that they just evaporated into thin air like childhood boogeymen the moment I deconverted.

It reminds me of this song some Christian singer (forget who) wrote once, called "Nobody Believes in Me Anymore", from satan's perspective. Satan's basically fat and happy because everybody thinks he isn't real, which gives him far more room to fuck with people and make sure they're kept in darkness.

See what a residual headfuck it truly is? Deconverting doesn't make the possibility that they were really real go away, because it would make sense that they would go silent.

So basically, the more they leave me alone, and the better my life goes from here on out without Jesus in it, the more likely they'll see me in hell where they can rape me up the ass with a pitchfork forever or some shit like that.

That's when you become the horniest bastard you have ever known.

Guest I_Love_Seitan

I am really enjoying this conversation! My husband and I basically un-converted together, and we constantly say to each other that Hell must be such a fun place because there are no Christians there! Honestly.....I reckon hell is where all the fun people go...and I plan to get plenty of this kind of action when I go there..... :bj::69::spanka::sex: These smileys are hilarious!

I am really enjoying this conversation! My husband and I basically un-converted together, and we constantly say to each other that Hell must be such a fun place because there are no Christians there! Honestly.....I reckon hell is where all the fun people go...and I plan to get plenty of this kind of action when I go there..... :bj::69::spanka::sex: These smileys are hilarious!

How do you get those yellow smileys on here? I only have the menu for the little blue ones? Is there a menu for the yellow ones somewhere?

How do you get those yellow smileys on here? I only have the menu for the little blue ones? Is there a menu for the yellow ones somewhere?

On that drop down menu of the little blue ones, at the top it says show all... click that and there ya go! :)