Goodbye Jesus

Life Is Very Good!

noob

It’s been over a month since I gave an update on the progress of my “outing” myself as an atheist. I have to say, I have been very pleasantly surprised. Some of you might remember that I blurted it out to my mother on the phone when I was not mentally prepared to handle the fall out. Well, I have to give my mother credit where credit is due. She has totally surprised me. I have talked to her on the phone numerous times since those first few conversations and I have visited my mom and dad at their home a couple of times. Other than giving me a book of bible verses and a few papers to read, she has not raised the subject one time. And, as far as I can tell she is not rallying friends and family members to push me either. I have no doubt that a lot of prayers are being said on my behalf, but that doesn’t bother me at all!

I stopped attending church once I told my mother that I no longer believed in the god of the bible. Once I stopped attending church, I met one of my dear friends for coffee to explain why I was not there. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised. She asked a couple of questions and when she said, so it is a lack of faith? I answered yes, changed the subject and we never returned to it. I was happy with the lack of drama. (If the way I handled this seems kind of wimpy, I must say in my defense, it is a lack of faith. Admittedly, a HUGE lack of faith, but a lack of faith nonetheless!!!)

Since that time, I have become almost brazen (for me) about announcing my unbelief. I had dinner last night with an old friend. She is not a church goer and she has had some terrible things happen in her life. I didn’t know exactly what she believed, but in the past, I have tried to get her to go to church with me, so there is no doubt that she knew what I used to believe. During dinner, I very bluntly told her that I no longer believed in god and that I was not attending church. She was visibly shocked for a moment, but as I continued to tell her why and what it has meant to me, I found myself amazed at what I saying!

I told her that I am happier than I have ever been in my life. I have discarded the guilt that I’ve lived with for not being the good Christian that I thought I was supposed to be. I told her since I now believe this life is the only one I’m going to have, I am enjoying every day of it. For some reason, I feel more alive and joyful. It was an interesting evening. She told me that she could see the difference in me and she said that she was going to work on having a little bit of my attitude and try to snap out of her depression.

In fact, as I mentioned in another thread earlier today, I am going to have surgery next week. This is a surgery that I have put off for a couple of years in spite of being in a lot of pain. I finally decided to have the surgery for a variety of reasons, but I know that two of the primary reasons are first, if this is my only life I don’t want to spend it in pain and also, if I die during surgery I’m no longer afraid of burning in hell for eternity because I was not quite right with god at the moment of my death!!! (If you haven’t noticed, I tend to be just a little dramatic!)

My main reason for sharing this is because I see so many others who are frightened to tell their family and friends that they no longer believe. Anyone who read my extimony knows that the thought of telling my mother practically paralyzed me. Yet, other than the initial “outing” it has been almost a nonevent. It gets easier and easier each time I tell someone.

I also wanted to make it clear that the life of an atheist is far, far from the dark, bleak existence that the Christian folks portray. I have never felt more joyful, less anxious, or more in control of my life than I do today. Life is very good!

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive through this transition. I’m going to go through withdrawal for the couple of weeks that I’ll be away from my computer, but if I get an opportunity, I’ll check in and say hello.

• Super Moderator

I'm very glad you're so happy, but I suspect you would be happy even if someone shaved your head with a cheese grater.

Your positive outlook is a gift from God.

(Just kidding.)

Hey Noob!!! Long time no talk :) So glad that things have gone better than you expected, and that you're going ahead with your surgery. How wonderful for you to be able to look forward to feeling better! Wishing you the very best concerning your surgery and recovery!! Come back soon!!

Deb

I'm very glad you're so happy, but I suspect you would be happy even if someone shaved your head with a cheese grater.

Golly gee whiz, florduh! You have a way with words!!!

Maybe you’re right. I’ve never been able to pull off the ill-tempered curmudgeon or cranky old bitch routine. I seem to have an irrepressible source of happiness. Hmmm.. maybe it’s a form of mild retardation??? Just call me noob Gump!!! Happy is as happy does...(I know. He really said stupid. DO NOT go there!)

Your positive outlook is a gift from God.

Glory!!!!!

Hey Noob!!! Long time no talk :) So glad that things have gone better than you expected, and that you're going ahead with your surgery. How wonderful for you to be able to look forward to feeling better! Wishing you the very best concerning your surgery and recovery!! Come back soon!!

Deb

Thanks Deb!!! I think your wild Vegas escapades inspired me! I wanted to be in top party form before I take my much anticipated vacation this December! :)

I'll be back just as soon as I can!!!

Great for you, noob. So glad everything is looking up and good luck on the surgery.

BTW... I love reading your sig

You are a wonder, Noob!

And an inspiration.

May a successful surgery free you to enjoy your life even more (if that's possible).

I wholeheartedly agree, life without is far better than life with god. Even with all the negativity surrounding us, I actually feel incredibly calm, peaceful, and happy. Life is not that terribly gloomy vision that xtians imagine. I can't believe that when I was a believer I thought people on the outside couldn't possibly be happy. Ugh, I was so dumb! Noob, reading about your transition is always so encouraging. I hope you continue to blossom in your new identity. Good luck with your surgery! Bring some good reading!

Great for you, noob. So glad everything is looking up and good luck on the surgery.

BTW... I love reading your sig

Thank you Kyle! I really appreciate the good wishes! And, I like the signature, because I love to eat!!! It's all the purpose I need! :)

You are a wonder, Noob!

And an inspiration.

May a successful surgery free you to enjoy your life even more (if that's possible).

Pitchu, thank you so much! I am really looking forward to moving forward without so much pain. It is hard to imagine that I could enjoy life any more, but... I have some fun stuff planned for the rest of the year!!! I really will miss the group here at Ex-C. I find it odd how easy it's been to get attached to people that I don't actually know. I think we need to have a union some day! (I don't think it can be a reunion since we haven't met!)

I have a very dear friend who will probably update everyone as I go through my recovery and I look forward to getting back online. Take care!

All the best,

noob

I wholeheartedly agree, life without is far better than life with god. Even with all the negativity surrounding us, I actually feel incredibly calm, peaceful, and happy. Life is not that terribly gloomy vision that xtians imagine. I can't believe that when I was a believer I thought people on the outside couldn't possibly be happy. Ugh, I was so dumb! Noob, reading about your transition is always so encouraging. I hope you continue to blossom in your new identity. Good luck with your surgery! Bring some good reading!

Prysm, you cannot imagine how hard I laughed when I read this! I've recently purchased several books that I am anxious to read, but I fear that reading The God Delusion, The Reason Driven Life, and the Portable Atheist while I am in the hospital might cause the nurses to let me die!!! Maybe I need to make those paper book covers that I used to make when I was in middle school!

Thank you so much for the support and good wishes! I am really looking forward to getting on the other side of this surgery and getting back online. Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your major transition. :)

Hey noob,

You are such a wonderful lady and you have given me so much encouragement on this site! I hope you get through your surgery ok. I am so envious of your independence and determination to make a good life for yourself. You should be so darn proud of your achievements, studying and all! All the best, and know that the gang here at ex-c will be thinking of you...

Cheers, Kathlene.

Dear Kathlene,

Thank you so much for the kind words and warm wishes! I always enjoy reading your posts. It seems as if you blossom a little more every day. (And I think you have that quote thing under control! :) )

Take care.

noob

It's not the surgery that sucks, it's the recovery... (heh heh)

I hope it all goes well, and you come out a new woman! Update us when you can.

Here's to your continuing happiness! :68:

Noob, that was a great post, beautiful! :)

I doubt i have ever met someone, at least online, who is so bursting with life and with such a sheer passion for living. If any christian says happiness cannot be found without god, then they clearly do not know you!!:):):)

I hope it all goes well, and you come out a new woman!

Now this is funny!!! Some of my male friends have made suggestions of things I should have done while I am under the anesthesia. Let’s see… they think I could have liposuction and get the excess fat injected into my boobs. They’ve suggested that I get a tattoo, a belly button piercing and a Brazilian bikini wax!!! Nice…

Unfortunately for them, for the most part, they’re going to be stuck with the same old noob post surgery!

Noob, that was a great post, beautiful! :)

I doubt i have ever met someone, at least online, who is so bursting with life and with such a sheer passion for living. If any christian says happiness cannot be found without god, then they clearly do not know you!!:):):)

Awwww... shucks, Justin! That was really sweet!!! Thank you. :)