Goodbye Jesus

Problems With The Religulous Dvd Disc

Neon Genesis

Has anyone else been having any technical problems with the DVD disc of the movie Religulous? I bought a copy of it yesterday at BestBuy but they sold me a glitched copy. When I tried playing it in my DVD player, I got a message on my player that said the disc was dirty. I don't think it's a problem with my player because all my other DVDs play fine with it. I took it back to BestBuy to have it exchanged for another copy but the replacement copy they gave me didn't work either. Sometimes it would play but sometimes I would still get the message that the disc was dirty. And sometimes it would start playing but it would stop playing randomly. Has anyone else been having problems with it? Are all the copies of Religlulous glitched or did my local BestBuy just happen to get a hold of a bad batch?

Has anyone else been having any technical problems with the DVD disc of the movie Religulous? I bought a copy of it yesterday at BestBuy but they sold me a glitched copy. When I tried playing it in my DVD player, I got a message on my player that said the disc was dirty. I don't think it's a problem with my player because all my other DVDs play fine with it. I took it back to BestBuy to have it exchanged for another copy but the replacement copy they gave me didn't work either. Sometimes it would play but sometimes I would still get the message that the disc was dirty. And sometimes it would start playing but it would stop playing randomly. Has anyone else been having problems with it? Are all the copies of Religlulous glitched or did my local BestBuy just happen to get a hold of a bad batch?

I saw all kinds of glitches in the one that I rented the other day. It would sometimes go to pixilate and do funky things but then would clear up in seconds. I don't think any of the meaning of the movie was lost in it.

I ordered Religulous from NetFlix and it is supposed to arrive today. I expect to watch it this evening and I will come back and let you know how the DVD worked out. You have me wondering if there aren't some people out there doing things they should not. :nono:

Some new disks carry a copy protection that won't work on older players. I rented "Enchanted" by Disney and it just would not play in my top-of-the-line Sony player I bought years ago. A newer player had no trouble with it. This is one possible explanation.

Try washing it off with warm soapy water and drying it with a soft cloth. Sometimes I think stuff gets on discs during production.

Hopefully, some evangenital didn't get a job working on the production line of this particular disc, and do something to make them defective. -- Call me paranoid but nothing would surprise me these days.

Some new disks carry a copy protection that won't work on older players. I rented "Enchanted" by Disney and it just would not play in my top-of-the-line Sony player I bought years ago. A newer player had no trouble with it. This is one possible explanation.
Would your copy of that movie play at all or would it just not play? When I tried playing the exchanged copy, I was able to play the entire movie but last night I tried playing the extra features and the extras wouldn't work. When I would select the special features, it would start playing the menu but then the disc would freeze after five seconds. My Sony DVD player is a few years old but I haven't had any problems playing any other newer DVDs I've bought.

Try washing it off with warm soapy water and drying it with a soft cloth. Sometimes I think stuff gets on discs during production.
I tried to clean the disc with water and I could get it to start playing sometimes but then sometimes it wouldn't work at all. It just strikes me as odd that both copies didn't work.

Possible explanations: 1) they used a cheap production method, or 2) they placed a copy-protection thing on the disc which could be incompatible with some players.

I'm going to rent it from Netflix too, and see how my copy plays.

Do you have a DVD drive on your PC? Try playing it there and see how it goes to compare. If it works okay then the disk is likely good and it's the player or probably copy protection.

mwc

Wow. I don't know whether I should take comfort in or be discouraged by the fact SecuROM and its ilk apparently aren't limited to videogames. That's just fucking retarded.

I tried playing the Religulous DVD in my sister's player and it worked fine on her player. I took it back again to BestBuy and explained the situation to them and they said it sounded like my player was old and that sometime newer discs don't play on older players. I've had this DVD player for about six years, so I'll likely have to either buy a new player or maybe I'll use this as an excuse to finally upgrade to Blu Ray.

Hopefully, some evangenital didn't get a job working on the production line of this particular disc, and do something to make them defective. -- Call me paranoid but nothing would surprise me these days.
I've suspected my DVD player is a fundamentalist xtian because I got a glitched copy of The Golden Compass when it was released and my player said the same thing for it, that the disc was dirty, but the exchanged copy for that disc worked fine.

I tried playing the Religulous DVD in my sister's player and it worked fine on her player. I took it back again to BestBuy and explained the situation to them and they said it sounded like my player was old and that sometime newer discs don't play on older players. I've had this DVD player for about six years, so I'll likely have to either buy a new player or maybe I'll use this as an excuse to finally upgrade to Blu Ray.

I balked at buying a new player to accommodate some asinine new copy protection scheme. If I hit this in the future, I'll just download an ripped version to spite them. There is nothing wrong with my DVD player, they just added on some crap code in the assumption that I am trying to steal the disk I just rented, so they can damn well remove their crap code if they want me to rent their movies.

I balked at buying a new player to accommodate some asinine new copy protection scheme. If I hit this in the future, I'll just download an ripped version to spite them. There is nothing wrong with my DVD player, they just added on some crap code in the assumption that I am trying to steal the disk I just rented, so they can damn well remove their crap code if they want me to rent their movies.

Or just rip your own copy sans the protection and burn a playable version. This should be no problem under fair use. You still own a legal copy too (if that gives you the warm and fuzzies). I guess this is a tad different with rentals (which I just noticed is what you said).

mwc

The DVD I got of Religulous last night from NetFlix was flawless.

I also laughed my ass off. I highly recommend it. :lmao:

My copy worked alright. I bought my copy at Wal-Mart and it was one of the last ones on the shelf. All other videos around it looked like not many had been purchased. Anyone know how well it is doing in DVD purchases and rentals?