Goodbye Jesus

The Insta-pissed Button

white_raven23

There are just some things that spark instant rage.

For me...it's people who are oblivious to the meaning of an open paperback book in a person's hands. A quick pleasantry is fine of course...it takes no time at all. I'm talking about the people who keep...on...yapping.

And one thing I've noticed about these people...reading is not one of their pleasures or hobbies, and so they must have very little comprehension of what reading a book means for people who read for pleasure regularly.

I really hate the times when I'm on break and someone does this to me in the breakroom. The break is 15 minutes, but doesn't stop them from stealing 10 minutes of it from me with their banal conversation (they aren't even ON break officially). By the time I'm left in peace...my reading is ruined, and as I get back to my work, I'm daydreaming very violent things starring the oblivious co-worker.

So what does it for you?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chefranden

• Deva

• Neon Genesis

• Crazycatlady

White Raven it sounds like those people have some boundary issues. :HaHa:

So what does it for you?

When kindness is returned with scorn

Rudeness in general. Been getting a lot of it this week, both at home and at work.

For me...it's people who are oblivious to the meaning of an open paperback book in a person's hands. A quick pleasantry is fine of course...it takes no time at all. I'm talking about the people who keep...on...yapping.

And one thing I've noticed about these people...reading is not one of their pleasures or hobbies, and so they must have very little comprehension of what reading a book means for people who read for pleasure regularly.

I really hate the times when I'm on break and someone does this to me in the breakroom. The break is 15 minutes, but doesn't stop them from stealing 10 minutes of it from me with their banal conversation (they aren't even ON break officially). By the time I'm left in peace...my reading is ruined, and as I get back to my work, I'm daydreaming very violent things starring the oblivious co-worker.

So what does it for you?

Damn! I wonder if it is viral, because I had the same problem when I used to work in retail.

Things that piss me off:

People who think they are entitled to have me live up to their expectations.

People who don't listen. People who interrupt me constantly, then wonder how come I never finish a thought.

People who can't say "I'm sorry" or "I don't know".

People who refuse to explain themselves and expect me to drag information out of them.

People being literalist, legalistic, or pedantic.

I'm at this point in my life where my bullshit tolerance has just about evaporated. I get tired of rudeness, obliviousness, dissembling, dishonesty, defensiveness, head games, the lot. I just don't have time to deal with anybody who gets off on making honest communication a struggle.

I'm especially prone to this when I'm tired, stressed out, or have a lot of androgens floating around in my system.

People who are negative on a regular basis. Greed. Rudeness.

And religion. :P

Apparently, door-to-door evangelists.

I've been home sick for two weeks with one vicious bug, and had a wretched night last night after reacting badly to a cough suppressant. Between fevers, coughing, mass quantities of tissue, and missing ten days of work, two clarinet lessons, and four karate classes, I am *not* happy.

So I was lying in bed about ten this morning, trying to recoup some of last night's missed sleep, when I hear the doorbell ring... And I know my partner has headed out with a friend on their usual Thursday morning coffee-and-shop. I toss off the covers, stagger into the bathroom, and slip on a pair of jeans.

/me is not happy to see two well-dressed women on my doorstop, holding books.

I open the screen door. "Is that a Bible?" I rasp.

"Yes, it..."

"Get the fuck off my property, and don't ever come back."

I really, really hate people like that. And the streets were full of them! On a Thursday morning? WTF???

Remind me to install closed-circuit TV and a 20,000 megawatt laser someday...

And had you accepted The Lord you'd be totally healed right now and going with those women helping others. I imagine you're feeling a little stupid for passing on that deal now? Aren't you? ;)

mwc

Mean/aggressive/jerk-like/screw-you-over type behavior.

And had you accepted The Lord you'd be totally healed right now and going with those women helping others. I imagine you're feeling a little stupid for passing on that deal now? Aren't you? ;)

:lmao: Well, no. Biblegod isn't exactly the sharpest crayon in the box to begin with. Its version of a "cold cure" would probably knock a jetliner out of the sky and release a horde of genetically-modified ferrets from a nearby laboratory, and I'd still be on the Chicken Soup Circuit for a few days.

I do *somewhat* regret the fact that I could barely speak... I could've asked them to run a trace on the shipment with my Talking Snake...

:lmao: Well, no. Biblegod isn't exactly the sharpest crayon in the box to begin with. Its version of a "cold cure" would probably knock a jetliner out of the sky and release a horde of genetically-modified ferrets from a nearby laboratory, and I'd still be on the Chicken Soup Circuit for a few days.

Ah, but such a clear sign that he loves us!

This happened to me this week -- students asking me when my office hours are and where my office is (not to mention the fact that I wrote this information on the board way back at the beginning of the quarter), one student even saying he will be there..

And then NO ONE SHOWS UP!

I get really annoyed with the pretense of intellectual arrogance in the higher ed setting, especially when my grad classes are dual-level or a professor allows some cheery, oh-so-motivated undergrad in. Who in their right mind goes around announcing that he or she will be getting a doctorate and will someday be a tenure-track professor whilst still in an undergrad program? That's like being in a poli sci program and telling everyone that you WILL be a senator someday. I guess some people have no sense of their smallness in the world, or lack the decency of attempting to conceal the hubris. I love Fight Club... "You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake."

Oh, right, the heritage of religion. God loves you because you're so SPECIAL! You are brilliant! *sigh* Sorry for the very detailed, specific rant. One too many encounters with bubbles I just want to burst.

This happened to me this week -- students asking me when my office hours are and where my office is (not to mention the fact that I wrote this information on the board way back at the beginning of the quarter), one student even saying he will be there..

And then NO ONE SHOWS UP!

Yeah, I understand that... I had one student schedule a meeting with me on a Thursday, then he changed it to Friday, then called 45 minutes in advance to tell me he would be late, and eventually I just left after waiting for him for half an hour. Turns out he just never showed up... good thing I didn't wait longer. I can't fathom treating an instructor like that! I would be so humiliated.

So what does it for you?

Pretty much what you said. If I'm reading, leave me the fuck alone.

Wannabe "Gangstah's".

Not so much rage inducing. More or less a facepalm.

Cliches. Dogma. People stumbling around in the world on mental autopilot with their brains in idle mode, just following the herd (and the Führer, whoever that might be in the specific case) because it's so convenient.

Willful idiocy. Consciously (HA!) rejecting the ability that sets us apart from the other lifeforms on this planet the very most - the ability of abstract thinking, reason and logic.

And one thing I've noticed about these people...reading is not one of their pleasures or hobbies, and so they must have very little comprehension of what reading a book means for people who read for pleasure regularly. . . .

So what does it for you?

Well first of all, I'm with you on that note. I had a next door neighbor who was the worst about interrupting a good book. I was always floored that she never took the hint.

Other primary infuriating factors for me:

Whining (not just venting, or legitimately discussing problems, but folks who bellyache continually without ever truly seeking a solution).

Incompetence

Busybodies

Irrationality (even a little bit - makes me insane)

People who can't say "I'm sorry" or "I don't know".
This is one thing that pisses me off. Being rude and generally obnoxious already pisses me off as it is but I hate people who do it and never ever apologize for their rude behavior even more. The other thing that pisses me off is hypocrisy. Like when my parents will volunteer to help at their church and they act like good kind Christians, then they turn around and whine about having to do all this work and complain about the other members they're "helping" behind their backs.

Like most other people here, I'm going to have to agree that having a good book interrupted is extremely annoying. I think this is what lead me to develop such "intense powers of concentration" (as my dad calls them). Basically, if I'm reading, I won't notice anything unless someone either says my name (or America since it's similar), cuts off my light source suddenly, or gets in my line of sight.

If I'm being tickled, I react violently. It's not really something I can control -- it's just an innate reaction. I always mention this to dates/potential boyfriends so that they don't try to tickle me.

What pisses me off the most is this group of students who EVERY DAY stand in front of the student union building proselytizing. I'm currently in the process of writing two letters -- one to the university newspaper and one to the president's office. My main argument is going to be to explain that these people harass me every day as I try to get something to eat: they demand to know what my religion is (and more details). If I refuse to answer, they follow me continuing to ask until I either enter the building or someone else comes along. In the letter to the university, I intend to point out all the businesses that they have in the student union building and that people might decide to go elsewhere if they cannot enter without being hassled. This kind of shit just makes me angry beyond words. (In a similar vein, a stranger on a dating site messaging me to say that he hopes I find Jesus and the things "fall into place" for me soon).

Other things that make me angry/annoyed (but not instantly pissed) are general rudeness, tardiness (unfortunately, I live in an area where it is considered perfectly acceptable to be up to 15 minutes late for anything...including job interviews!), and people who ask "do you believe in evolution?" (WTF? It's not "belief," it's a valuable and most likely theory we have!), and strangers who blatantly check me out and hit on me (like that guy who yelled "nice butt" last weekend in front of a bunch of little kids).

Okay, I'd better leave before steam starts coming out of my ears...

Anything I can't do on Sunday that I can any other day.

If a guy wants a day off and he picks Sunday to close that's fine, his perogitive. But the government getting involved (blue laws) or even a silent agreement amonst the flock to close on "the lard's day" burns my petunias.

Anything I can't do on Sunday that I can any other day.

If a guy wants a day off and he picks Sunday to close that's fine, his perogitive. But the government getting involved (blue laws) or even a silent agreement amonst the flock to close on "the lard's day" burns my petunias.

Oooh. For anyone interested in being a dentist or similar somesuch ....especially if you have private practice...I always figured business would just boom for someone who chose to work "off" hours and days. Like Noon to 9PM Wed thru Sun (what masochist wants to go to the D on Monday anyway?).

Never understood health occupations maintaining the same hours and days of work as their customer base. :twitch:

Never understood health occupations maintaining the same hours and days of work as their customer base. :twitch:

Same here - I guess it's a perk of having a specialized profession. It's not like I can do my own dental work, LOL.

:HaHa:

mwc