Goodbye Jesus

The Insta-pissed Button

white_raven23

Willful idiocy. Consciously (HA!) rejecting the ability that sets us apart from the other lifeforms on this planet the very most - the ability of abstract thinking, reason and logic.

Oddly, this doesn't bother me nearly as much as the defense thereof. My best friend is good friends with a girl who is a case study in everything that is wrong with American culture. She's arrogant, aggressive, willfully ignorant, reckless, manipulative, irresponsible, spoiled and a whole host of other less than flattering objectives. She's owned 4 brand new mustangs since turning 16, two of which she totaled before turning 20, both incidents involving alcohol. Not two months after turning 21 she finally got caught on a DUI. A month or two after that, when my friend, who'd been carrying a torch for her which she'd studiously ignored for about 4 years prior, finally found another girl he liked and started going out with her, she immediately started tempting and offering herself to him until he eventually caved (which, to be fair, was at least as much his fault as hers, but she was totally leading him into it). She's like Paris Hilton without the charm.

'Course, as much as she takes everything about it to excess, I don't have a real problem with her. I've dealt with worthless wastes of flesh and oxygen like her before, and I know it's best to just ignore and get the hell away from them to avoid being caught up in the storm they'll inevitably generate. What really gets me is not only does my buddy absolute refuse to acknowledge the truth about her, he actively defends her. Consequentially, I have to walk on eggshells whenever she comes up in a conversation he's party to lest my calling a spade a spade upsets him. Even after he almost lost his girlfriend to her (who's the only girl he's ever known who hasn't mistreated and taken advantage of him), knowing full well their fooling around happened only because he was no longer available and she wanted to prove she still "owned" him, and knowing all his friends and especially his girlfriend feel exactly the same way about her as I do, he continues to hang out with her fairly regularly - even going to lengths to hide his doing so from his girlfriend because he knows she'd be upset about it (as damn well she should - the golden irony of the situation being he once ratted out a friend in high school for flirting with/pseudo-dating two girls at once).

I understand overlooking faults and loyalty are basic parts of friendship, but scale plays a part in that. There's a huge difference between not making a big deal about your driver taking the scenic route and keeping silent as the navigator of the Titanic.

Goodbye Jesus
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chefranden

• Deva

• Neon Genesis

• Crazycatlady

Anything I can't do on Sunday that I can any other day.

If a guy wants a day off and he picks Sunday to close that's fine, his perogitive. But the government getting involved (blue laws) or even a silent agreement amonst the flock to close on "the lard's day" burns my petunias.

Oooh. For anyone interested in being a dentist or similar somesuch ....especially if you have private practice...I always figured business would just boom for someone who chose to work "off" hours and days. Like Noon to 9PM Wed thru Sun (what masochist wants to go to the D on Monday anyway?).

Never understood health occupations maintaining the same hours and days of work as their customer base. :twitch:

There are more and more dentists our here that are open on Saturdays. They tend to be the kind that accept private insurance only though, so are out of my reach.

I can be wrong, and I can not know things, and I can admit both, but I hate being told I'm wrong when I know for sure I'm not, or similarly to be ignored in a place where I'm kept around because I know stuff and can explain exactly what some idiot is hollering about if he'll shut his mouth and keep his ego down long enough to listen.

For example: I'm a cat nut, I volunteer and work at a zoo [halfway into my eighth year, and this occurred only a couple months ago], I know the general feeding routine for the cats and what the cats would eat in the wild. I had just recently done a LOT of research to prepare a cat tour [including several technical papers on how wild and captive cats feed and behave] and some guy is both ignoring my explanations as to why we don't need to let live rabbits in the cheetah enclosure* and doesn't even bother to ask what the cats are fed, what supplements they get, or what kind of enrichments** they get before standing around saying to anyone who will listen that he thinks the cats don't get fed properly. Which is why they show healthy behaviors and bodies, right? Because they aren't cared for properly? And it's exactly why the clouded leopard in the end didn't actually eat the squirrel he caught [while the guy was standing there loudly proclaiming he needs the nutrients from it] right?

*Cheetahs don't run for fun; their instinct is to conserve as much energy as possible between meals; our trio is also young enough that they're still playing with each other and occasionally making a dash toward their kangaroo neighbors just to see THEM 'run'.

**if you're squeamish you might want to skip this, I'm just proving a point :P:

meat stuffed bell pepper, pieces of meat stuffed in a pinecone, meat kabobs hung up in the enclosure, meat hidden in different places in the enclosure, bloodsicles (drippings saved from the bags of meat we get, frozen), pre-killed rat or chick, meat still on the bone, scent bags and boxes, prey-shaped scent dummies on special occasions, putting something with a different animal's scent in the enclosure, moving the props around, putting new props or plants in, balls, ball-shaped vegetables (usually for special occasions, like pumpkins in the fall), spraying perfume in spots in the enclosure. . . and those are just the ones I know about, people are always coming up with new things and zoo people are good about sharing ideas

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

Usually just people who like to push other peoples' buttons for the hell of it, because they get some kind of rise out of it.

Most other people are fairly easy to deal with. I usually avoid conflict altogether though. Go somewhere else, say "whatever". Usually if someone is looking for a fight I like to let them fight themselves in a roundabout way. That's the worst enemy they could face (95% of people anyway).

People too lazy to park the shopping cart back in the store or a corral and instead leave it rolling around the parking lot. That really gets me going. And illegal immigrants, those that hire them, and sanctuary cities. Those law breaking traiters and invaders piss me off whenever I think about them.

I'm usually laid back about stuff, but irritants that push my button the most are:

* Close minded and elitist thinking/attitudes of far-right conservative evangelical Christianity. Prime example is the staunch ignorance mixed with religious patriotism toward support of the war in Iraq like it's some idealistic crusade. I myself am a fiscal conservative, but when I hear about these stupid views (mixed with evangelical Christianity) on war, rants against Obama and ambivalence toward those less fortunate in our society...my blood boils.

* Someone on the cell phone driving 15 mph below speed limit totally oblivious to those around them.

* Grumpy Christians who gossip and say negative things about others behind their back and then go to church and act spiritual.

* White teenagers and 20 somethings who act GANGSTA.

Aggressive drivers. I hate it when people don't use their turn signals and just keep gradually edging into your lane when one lane happens to be closed for construction and they have to merge over. Sometimes they don't even bother with the gradual stuff and just practically pull right into you. Also, they get mad if there is a line of cars backed up at a light and they are trying to pull out onto a busy street and you don't automatically give them the right of way to pull out in front of you. You can see them cussing and gesturing.

Also, people who honk their horns at you if you take more than 1 second to go on the green light. Its just ridiculous.

I hate to see drivers talking into cell phones too. Also doing their makeup while driving. It's crazy.

Snobs!

Guest Abby84

heh heh, I'm an asst mgr in a dollar store and I got plenty of insta-pissed buttons. Like kids running around the store while their parents are shopping, or they leave them in the toy aisle and I have to constantly pick up after them. People who insist that you check the back for something even after you already told them you don't have it. People who pick up merchandise to look at and then just drop it anywhere, even though they can just as easily put it up. Oh, and recently someone has been leaving religious tracks all over the store, ahhh! I could go on and on, but I don't want to sound like whiner ;).Something not store related, badly spelled emails, it's called spell check people........use it! Ok, maybe not that pissed about it, just slightly annoyed :grin:

heh heh, I'm an asst mgr in a dollar store and I got plenty of insta-pissed buttons. Like kids running around the store while their parents are shopping, or they leave them in the toy aisle and I have to constantly pick up after them. People who insist that you check the back for something even after you already told them you don't have it.

I have to chuckle about that. I worked in a discount store during college, and put up with some of the same shit......And the ones that come over and lean on the glass case containing cameras and ask where they moved the cameras to.

GOSSIP, cleverly discguised as a prayer request!

For me, it is people who act like they know what they are talking about when they are simply repeating what someone else has said. Apparently, the wisdom of the quoted source (usually unattributed, by the way) is directly related to its correlation with the self-serving opinion of the pontificator. Examples include the God-enthralled explaining that there are no real atheists, armchair economists explaining with great certitude why the stimulus package will or will not work, amateur climatologists dismissing global warming caused by human activity out-of-hand or arguing its indisputable certainty, weekend historians asserting that the Civil War was just about state's rights or that the Holocaust never happened.

In short, people whose dogma overwhelms their intellectual curiosity and healthy skepticism really tick me off. I just want to shake them!

Guest Net Eng
Things that piss me off:

People who can't say "I'm sorry" or "I don't know".

This one really honks me off, especially when it comes to parents. This should be in a Parenting 101 book. First thing after feeding/clothing/bathing should be how to apologize to your kids when you as a parent screw up.

Pisses me off to no end when I hear this shit coming from my coworkers when discussing their kids. Dumb fucks. Wanna guess why your kids don't want to visit you in your later years... :vent:

sorry... got carried away there...

Ah yes! People who drive like they own the road! And if there is not an opportunity to pass you, they are 3 inches from our trunk until there is!

People who ignore the NO TURN ON RED signs.

People who pass me even when I am doing 7 over!

My mother and grandmother were once witness to some jackass driver in a Corvette who had to pass EVERYBODY on this NARROW and WINDY road with just about ZERO visibility around corners and ZERO concern for the safety of everyone around them.

Two miles later, Corvette found a tree, car caught fire, and both driver and passenger were burned to a crisp. At least they didn't find an innocent kid out riding his or her bike.

I absofuckinglutely have NO SYMPATHY for any jackass who gets killed in a crash that would have been prevented by having an inkling of give-a-shit for the safely of themselves and for those around them.

I almost forgot! I am instantly pissed of when someone sniffs about "elitism" and "the elite". When did being elite, wanting to be elite, and wanting to be served by the elite become a bad thing? Aren't elite people those who outpeform others in some way, whether due to luck, talent, or effort? When I go for surgery, I'd rather have the Harvard Medical School elite surgeon carving my entrails than some guy who went to a discount med school. If I'm a pro scout for the NFL or the NBA, I'm looking for an elite athlete for my team. As a voter, I'm not going to go all mushy about some politician just because she is "one of us". I don't want "one of us" to have power, damn it! I want someone better than most of us to have power. Making elite a bad thing is bad for all of us. It fuels lack of confidence in science, education, government, and every other field in whick knowledge and ability make the difference.

I can understand an aversion to cultural elitism. I typically run in highfalutin' circles myself due to the nature of my work, and sometimes I feel like barfing. :woopsie: I don't know if I'll ever be fully assimilated into this weird world.

Now Bill Clinton, there's a fellow who bridged the gap between "salt of the earth" and "elite." He was a kid from Hope, Arkansas who lined the bed of his pickup with AstroTurf. But then he became a Rhodes Scholar, went to Yale Law, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Sarah Palin, on the other hand... bat-shit crazy dumb-ass who wasn't even remotely fit to be within a heartbeat of the Presidency.

Also, what gets me is that the Republicans pretend to be "Good Ol' Boys" but most of the time it's a god damn put-on. W. Bush comes from a long line of pure-bred old family bourgeois Connecticut Yankees, and he went to Yale and Harvard on legacy admissions and got through on the Gentleman's C. If that ain't American aristocracy, I don't know what is. Hell, he had slightly more "elite" credentials than John Kerry did if you look at his family background, etc. Even John McCain. Son of the top Admiral during the Vietnam years. The military elite are just as elite as the economic and political elite.

My mother.

My sister.

My school.

My cat, when she decides to attack me.

MY SCHOOL!

Pat Robertson

My school

My school

My school

My school

...did I mention my school?

Stupid people, which robbaly encompasses my school...

People interupting my while I am doing somehing

My mother asking me stupid questions

My school

The Other Forum, which I am probably addicted to and still pisses me off

And much, much more...

I am unbelievably easy to piss off.

Also, people who honk their horns at you if you take more than 1 second to go on the green light. Its just ridiculous.
Conversely, I hate those drivers who take forever to get through the light. Like the light will already be green, but they'll just sit there forever either daydreaming or talking on the cellphone. They just sit and sit and sit. Then when they finally get doing and you finally get up to the light, the light has already changed back when you could have been through it already. I can understand taking more than a second but these people will wait a whole minute before they even start to go through it. But then there never seems to be any sort of consistency to the timing of lights. Like sometimes the lights will take forever to change and only be green for a few seconds while other times they'll be timed just right.

People too lazy to park the shopping cart back in the store or a corral and instead leave it rolling around the parking lot. That really gets me going. And illegal immigrants, those that hire them, and sanctuary cities. Those law breaking traiters and invaders piss me off whenever I think about them.

Ha, I never put the shopping cart back or clear my table at fast food joints. When you do that sort of thing you are robbing someone of a job. One of the neat corporate tricks on Americans is getting them to do some of the work for free. I remember when someone had the job of delivering the goods to your car and helping to put the packages into it -- usually with a smile. I remember when someone used to pump your gas clean all your windows, and check your oil all for $.25 a gallon. I remember seeing a anti-communist film wherein people pumping their own gas and taking kids to day care were sure signs of the failure of communism.

I almost forgot! I am instantly pissed of when someone sniffs about "elitism" and "the elite". When did being elite, wanting to be elite, and wanting to be served by the elite become a bad thing? Aren't elite people those who outpeform others in some way, whether due to luck, talent, or effort? When I go for surgery, I'd rather have the Harvard Medical School elite surgeon carving my entrails than some guy who went to a discount med school. If I'm a pro scout for the NFL or the NBA, I'm looking for an elite athlete for my team. As a voter, I'm not going to go all mushy about some politician just because she is "one of us". I don't want "one of us" to have power, damn it! I want someone better than most of us to have power. Making elite a bad thing is bad for all of us. It fuels lack of confidence in science, education, government, and every other field in whick knowledge and ability make the difference.

Yah and senators that bitch about the elite as if there are many that are more elite than a senator.

Conversely, I hate those drivers who take forever to get through the light. Like the light will already be green, but they'll just sit there forever either daydreaming or talking on the cellphone. They just sit and sit and sit. Then when they finally get doing and you finally get up to the light, the light has already changed back when you could have been through it already. I can understand taking more than a second but these people will wait a whole minute before they even start to go through it. But then there never seems to be any sort of consistency to the timing of lights. Like sometimes the lights will take forever to change and only be green for a few seconds while other times they'll be timed just right.

How about those damn traffic lights that take so long that I get bored watching them so I'm doing something else* when they finally do change. If you didn't honk at me we'd probably still be there.

*Does not include cell phone, which I shall never own.

1. Old ladies in the grocery store that can't decide between this pound of hamburger and that pound of hamburger.

2. People that park their carts sideways in the grocery isles.

3. People that meet in the grocery isles and stop to share the gossip.

How about those damn traffic lights that take so long that I get bored watching them so I'm doing something else* when they finally do change. If you didn't honk at me we'd probably still be there.

*Does not include cell phone, which I shall never own.

When I lived in DC some guy shot another driver because he stopped and let another driver into the traffic flow. Things like that put a lot into perspective. I tend to not worry too much about this kind of stuff anymore. I can't really speak though as I've been using public transit for the most part for the past 5 years. Living in a city like SPB, cars are more of a hassle than they're worth.

I also used to get pissed when drivers in Russia treat pedestrians like they are pigeons (just expecting them to get out of the way) but now I realize my anger isn't going to change a culture so I just learn to respect the code and live with it.

As for my insta piss button. Loud, obnoxious neighbors and self-centered people with bad manners in general.

1. Old ladies in the grocery store that can't decide between this pound of hamburger and that pound of hamburger.

2. People that park their carts sideways in the grocery isles.

3. People that meet in the grocery isles and stop to share the gossip.

Yes. The parking the cart in the aisle where no one can get through. I just saw this a couple days ago. Lady parks it right in the middle of the isle. She's standing on one side of the cart and her kid is standing on the other side. Its like these people are totally oblivious to the possibility that someone might want to get by. So I'm patiently standing there until one of them moves. Happens all the time. Sometimes even when you say "excuse me", they don't move. Its like they own the place and are doing you a favor. Sometimes I gotta say my temper flares just looking at this kind of thing.