Goodbye Jesus

Nightmares

Skeptic

Anyone have nightmares frequently or used to? I did, but they went away after I became an atheist. The few dreams that I've had since that could've potentially been nightmares were so absurd that I knew it was a dream. I used to have nightmares constantly. They were really vivid, even more vivid than real life was to me at the time, and they kind of blended together with my waking hours so I had a hard time telling what was real and what wasn't. Of course, this just made it worse. Coincidentally, this happened when I was at the height of my atheist-denying xian days. It's a part of my life that I haven't really talked or thought a lot about and I'm kind of hoping someone can empathize.

Anyone have nightmares frequently or used to? I did, but they went away after I became an atheist. The few dreams that I've had since that could've potentially been nightmares were so absurd that I knew it was a dream. I used to have nightmares constantly. They were really vivid, even more vivid than real life was to me at the time, and they kind of blended together with my waking hours so I had a hard time telling what was real and what wasn't. Of course, this just made it worse. Coincidentally, this happened when I was at the height of my atheist-denying xian days. It's a part of my life that I haven't really talked or thought a lot about and I'm kind of hoping someone can empathize.

I'd have some doozy nightmares, often demonically themed. I actually found a way to stop it when I was a believer. Normally people try to speak the name of Jesus and are unable to do so. I decided to take him at his word that he was with me and would simply relax as the demon was attacking and worship god in my mind. I could feel the thing let go of me. This happened quite a few times, then I stopped having nightmares. Now that I have deconverted, I haven't had any, but that was only 4 months ago.

Anyone have nightmares frequently or used to? I did, but they went away after I became an atheist.

I can't say all my nightmares are gone, due to an event after I became an Atheist. But my nightmares are pretty restricted to that event. I used to have nightmares about all kinds of things (demons, clowns, monsters, etc...) and feel a lot more fear. Any mention of Satan or demons at night totally freaked me out. When I was little my mom would talk about Lucifer before bedtime and I'd have nightmares...so into adulthood mentioning these characters when the sun went down would scare me and result in nightmares. There is a lot less fear in my life, but I do get a chilling feeling when I drive by churches on every corner now.

, but I do get a chilling feeling when I drive by churches on every corner now.

:lmao: Isn't that the truth

My bad dreams also disappeared after deconversion. I sense a trend here: Less to be afraid of, less fearful dreams.

I sense a trend here: Less to be afraid of, less fearful dreams.

That's what I've noticed, as well.

I still occasionally have bad dreams, but no nightmares of the sort that would wake me up in a cold sweat like I used to have. Whether that is from deconversion or simply growing up (I've only been outside the church since the age of 21) I don't know. But on the whole I am by far a less fearful person. Now when I watch a scary movie before bed and wake up to a weird noise or an odd reflection outside my window I'm more inclined to think of a rational explanation for the phenomenon rather than think it is demons after me. I sleep a helluva lot better now.