Goodbye Jesus

The Reality Of Hell

Guest JT85

Hi everyone

I dont know where all of you are with what you believe in and everything but for me, I dont believe in Hell.

Ive been isolated from christian friends for quite a while but I told some friends (ONLY a few) that I wasnt christian and my feelings and what not.

1 tried to help me out with everything that I am going through and the other, he just shrugged it off and moved on to another conversation...and the other....well she doesnt know much about converting ppl and telling ppl about the gospel I think.

My rant is, when I ask questions to christians, and it doesnt follow what the bible says, they just shrug it off and move onto another topic of discussion (something other than christianity). Why are christians like that? What part of the reality of hell that they believe in dont they understand? If I believed in such a place, Id do everything in my power to take time out of my day, explain to ppl and the whole nine yards...but all I see when I talk to some christians is, is that they just shrug off the conversation if it doesnt fit what they think the bible says. Why is that? Im interested in philosophy and everything and I want to know their opinions...instead I just get a "uhmmm, hmmmm, hey it was a really nice day today!"....okay well substitute the last part for whatever u want, but you get my point.

Any thoughts?

Goodbye Jesus

Personally, I believe that most Christians, no matter how strong their faith, don't really know their Bibles. And, even if they have read the Bible from start to finish, they don't know how the doctrines and dogma of the church (no matter which denomination) were put together. Take your topic of hell: there is not just one section of the Bible that details all the Bible says about hell. You have to take a piece here and a piece there and put it together. And for some people the pieces don't all fit well with the end result being different opinions about what hell is or isn't. In any case, most people just take for granted whatever they have been taught from the pulpit and in Sunday School. This makes it tough to have an actual conversation with them about the topic because, in order to do so, they would have to be knowledgeable about it to begin with.

Secondly, I think that, deep down, most Christians don't actually believe the concept of hell. If they did, then intellectually they would have to conclude several things: 1) god is the most evil of beings for torturing living beings for all of eternity simply for not accepting him on his terms and 2) that they are poor examples of being a Christian because if they really believed hell was real they would exhaust themselves telling everyone how to avoid going there. So I think that they are betraying that they don't actually believe hell is a real place.

To engage most Christians in a discussion about hell would cause them, therefore, to either expose their ignorance (see the first paragraph) or their lack of belief (see the second paragraph).

There is more that can be said, I am sure. But that is as far as I will on this one (for now ;) ).

I echo Looking4Answers and add that many people that call themselves Christians do not believe in damnation except for Hitler and such. They also don't believe that sin is all that bad, especially when it is them doing it. I was a serious believer, and once wrote a sermon on "The Terrible Reality of Hell". But that didn't mean that I stopped sinning or told my neighbors about Jesus, mostly because when it came to engaging another human in person, the concepts seemed so fake. I could never bridge the gap between something that I felt was so personal and making that seem real for another person. I also knew that every time I confessed my sins, it was all taken care of, so I didn't really worry about most of it. My brother, who converted at the same time I did has slept with every girlfriend he's ever had since converting, yet never seemed bothered by the idea. Of course when his own daughter did this, it was a big deal. So the root of it is really unbelief and hypocrisy. They say they believe one thing mostly for the sake of fitting in at church, but for the most part they don't actually believe it is factual.