Goodbye Jesus

Arrogant Christians

vikingbiker

It has been quite awhile since any of the bible thumpers have said anything or lectured me about leaving the faith.

So here I am at Wal-Mart about 30 miles from the small town I live in. I ran into one of the older fellows from one of the churches I used to attend in our small town. He is aware of the fact that I am no longer christian. We made a little small talk, and right before I excuse myself, he invites me to the "Mens Prayer Breakfast" that they have at the church every month or so. I of course, declined. He made a comment about the fact that my wife still attends that church, and that I "Should Make Myself Right With God Again." That just hit me wrong.

First off, my exit from religion has made about a year and a half rift in our marriage. And due to the fact that she will not accept it, regardless of how hard I tried to show her that we can have serperate beliefs and still be close, has lead me to the conclusion that soon, I will probably be an ex-husband as well as an ex-christian. I have not tried to change her. She has wanted me attend church with her now and then to put a good face on it. I am not interested in shows. Right or wrong, It is what it is.

The way this old gent said it made it sound like it was so absolute. Like it was the only right thing there was for me to do. And to bring up the wife thing.... He stood there waiting for a response, probably so he could tell me what else I am wrong about. I just told him I prefer to think for myself and his approval was not required, and this converstation was over. And that was it. I really wanted to say alot more, but where would it get me?

I do not wish to change anyone. I do not want anyone to change me. If I did change, it would be because of my own conscious thought and decision, not from rantings of fairytales from a superstitious fool. This just happened this afternoon, and I am still wound up about it. For me, it is just hard to let a comment like that just roll off.

Wow. I'm amazed. You showed a lot more restraint than I would have if I was in your place. I'd probably still be cussing the guy out. I hope everything goes well for you and your wife, though. That has to be tough.

Wow. I'm amazed. You showed a lot more restraint than I would have if I was in your place. I'd probably still be cussing the guy out. I hope everything goes well for you and your wife, though. That has to be tough.

If this happened a few years back, I know I probably would have and felt better, but, I decieded a while back that I would only waste time on the things that were beneficial. I wasted enough time in my younger years on things that were not. People like this ol guy have no boundries when they think they are in the right. I believe that I do not owe anyone like him one minute of my life. I will reserve that time for people that are worth it. I figured he got the message, but you and I both know that type of individual will always think they are right, regardless of what you say or how you say it.

I only mentioned the situation with the wife to show that it was a bit touchy because of my decision about religion. That being said, I think it has gotten as good as it is going to. I know that I have tried my best to show her that religion does not have to come between us. There just is no compromise in this situation, regardless of how hard I tried. I try to be a realist, and as tough as it is, I think I know when to move on.

Thanks.

Guest Net Eng

The situation with your wife sucks and I'm sorry to hear it. I wish the best (for both of you).

Does christian arrogance ever stop?? Hell no. Why should the elect of the earth stop spewing the truth?? :Doh:

The guy was being a dick and doesn't even recognize it. Sad.

I agree with Skeptic, you did show great restraint. I'd flamed the guy to a crisp.

It has been quite awhile since any of the bible thumpers have said anything or lectured me about leaving the faith.

So here I am at Wal-Mart about 30 miles from the small town I live in. I ran into one of the older fellows from one of the churches I used to attend in our small town. He is aware of the fact that I am no longer christian. We made a little small talk, and right before I excuse myself, he invites me to the "Mens Prayer Breakfast" that they have at the church every month or so. I of course, declined. He made a comment about the fact that my wife still attends that church, and that I "Should Make Myself Right With God Again." That just hit me wrong.

First off, my exit from religion has made about a year and a half rift in our marriage. And due to the fact that she will not accept it, regardless of how hard I tried to show her that we can have serperate beliefs and still be close, has lead me to the conclusion that soon, I will probably be an ex-husband as well as an ex-christian. I have not tried to change her. She has wanted me attend church with her now and then to put a good face on it. I am not interested in shows. Right or wrong, It is what it is.

The way this old gent said it made it sound like it was so absolute. Like it was the only right thing there was for me to do. And to bring up the wife thing.... He stood there waiting for a response, probably so he could tell me what else I am wrong about. I just told him I prefer to think for myself and his approval was not required, and this converstation was over. And that was it. I really wanted to say alot more, but where would it get me?

I do not wish to change anyone. I do not want anyone to change me. If I did change, it would be because of my own conscious thought and decision, not from rantings of fairytales from a superstitious fool. This just happened this afternoon, and I am still wound up about it. For me, it is just hard to let a comment like that just roll off.

Dear vikingbiker

I hope that everything works out with you and your wife.

I am in no position to judge how you feel as a non-believer to what he said as I am still young and not married but I thought I would spit my 2 cents and maybe put things into perspective.

Of course, I , like the others who have posted on here do not think it was right about what this individual said to you, but for a general christian point of view, I think he was just doing his "job" if you want to call it, as a christian. To minister to those who dont believe. I dont know much about how christians minister to people as not a lot of them have talked to me about it, but in good will, his purpose was to show you the "light" by showing you that you are wrong from his point of view.

Personally, ive been a non-christian now for a year or so...before which time, I was actively involved in campus ministry by being a bible study leader, and going to small groups, and etc...and then after I stopped going, I never heard a word out of them No message on instant messengers, no talking on campus and etc. I would have thought that I would be bombarded with conversations about trying to help me see the "light", but I have heard nothing to this day (besides the 2 or so people that I have told). If christians wernt ministering and "trying" to share the gospel in whatever way (even in such situations as your....even if it was in a judgemental way), they really woudnt be doing their job as christians.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that this individual was just trying to share the "light" with you even though it was in a judgemental way...in good will from his perspective, but im sure from all of our perspectives, he has no right to judge the deeper personal circumstances that you are in, that this person has no idea about.

I hope this helped in someway and sorry if it didnt.