Need Quick Advice!

Cowabunga Jones

So, I find this guy's website for a local computer repair company. I send him my resume and ask if maybe I could grab coffee with him sometime to talk about how to enter the computer industry within my city. And this is the reply I get ...

"I would be honored if you would attend evening service with us at Midlands Bible Baptist Church, www.midlandsbbc.org , afterwards we could go to our local Village Inn for coffee and discussion. Let me know if you are interested."

So Prysm and I are presented with two options: Hell no. OR HELL YES!!!!

Prysm wants to go and I am undecided. What should we do? Cause seriously, this is pretty freaking amazing.

• Super Moderator

I think there's a third option.

"Thanks for your invitation. I'd be happy to meet with you at the Village Inn when you are finished with your church service."

Well, the thing is that ... I'm not sure this would even be any sort of job opportunity since the guy basically has initiated an evangelism track with me from the get go. So, its more of a, should we go and make him think twice about using these kinds of evangelism email responses in the future?

This sounds like more of an evangelism attempt than a job anyway. A legitimate job opportunity would NOT bring up religion (unless of course, it was at a Christian bookstore).

Yeah, I agree, if he brought up religion already when talking about jobs, and he's looking to hire, well he's probably just opened himself up to a lawsuit over religious discrimination. This does not speak well for the guy's intelligence, knowledge or integrity.

Yeah, I agree, if he brought up religion already when talking about jobs, and he's looking to hire, well he's probably just opened himself up to a lawsuit over religious discrimination. This does not speak well for the guy's intelligence, knowledge or integrity.

Yeah, its been over 24 hours since I sent him a nice reply sating Prysm and I would happily meet him after his church service to talk about job opportunities. No answer. So, totally an evangelism attempt. My next question: What is the appropriate response? Do I just leave it or do I rub his face in the hypocrisy of not owning his coffee offer after his religious agenda gets turned down?

Yeah, its been over 24 hours since I sent him a nice reply sating Prysm and I would happily meet him after his church service to talk about job opportunities. No answer. So, totally an evangelism attempt. My next question: What is the appropriate response? Do I just leave it or do I rub his face in the hypocrisy of not owning his coffee offer after his religious agenda gets turned down?

I would just leave it - IMO he is not worth the hassle of going after. Although I would warn others to stay away from his non-legit job-offer.

I would report him. He's a jerk who is using false hope to sell MORE false hope! It's illegal.

Go here: http://www.bbb.org/

Type in your zip code and you will go to your local area. Over on the right is a link that says "File a complaint." I copy and paste the entire correspondence, including the original ad for a job (if that's how you heard about them.)

It will just go into a databank. It will take you just a few minutes and you will be doing a good deed.

Guest sinderella60

I guess whether or not to reply is based on a couple of reasons you may or may not have and how badly you want an answer. 1. was this just an attempt to get more people into the delusional i must save the world before jesus returns to ensure my place at the king's table. 2. if he is really this much of a holy roller that even his place of business means you have to walk, talk, and spew god all day long and on off hours as well (the coffee shop), or 3. maybe he isn't that bad. which it doesn't sound like the case. but either way you would know. and then someday you could tell everybody about how you almost got "saved" at a job interview in a church and coffee shop afterwards with a bunch of bible thumpers and all you really wanted was a job. boy was that close i almost fell for it! :Doh:

drop him a line,

Mr So and SO. Just a little note regarding the advertised position within your company that we spoke about on such and such date. I haven't heard from you regarding a time to meet and discuss my qualifications and thought I would see if we could still get together for the interview. I am available to meet with you at your place of employment or other public setting at a time that is convenient for you. I can be reached at blah, blah. Looking forward to hearing from you and discussing how my qualifications could best be utilized at your company. Sincerely...blah, blah.

He can either respond with; the position has been filled, we don't cotton to your kind, or no response. at least you can quit wondering, cuz' me i would just have to know. that's the type of person i am. gotta know. that's why i am de-converting...i found out. the truth shall set you free!! :woohoo:

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

I would show up and shit in his cereal if I were you, figuratively speaking of course.

hmmm...

did you have your email and name and all listed in your email?

i wonder if perhaps he did a google on you and found this site or something like it...decided to pounce on ya?

Its now been two days and no word from him. I think I have a suitable response. What I will do, is bait this man's evangelistic motives by asking about his Wednesday night services tomorrow in such a way that it relates to the job. For example:

"Hey, did not hear back from you regarding Sunday night. Its alright, our evening plans ran late anyways. However, I have been thinking about the church service you mentioned. Do you have Wednesday evening services? If so, perhaps we could talk about job opportunities afterward? Let me know if that is possible."

Eh? What do you think? Any way to word it so that it hinges more around the job but yet requires the church service connection?

I wonder if this guy's motivation wasn't a little different from simple evangelization:

You listed your job as a former pastor on your resume, right? You probably did not go off topic and shoot yourself in the foot by using your resume as a soapbox to announce that you abandoned your belief and consider xianity so much bullcrap, right?

Could the guy have assumed you were already a sheeple and been going for a good ol' boy/xian club/networking/common ground/keep-christ-in-the-business-and-fellowship-with-fellow-xians type arrangement?

Just a thought, not that much comes to mind that you could have done to prevent this if my hypothesis is right.

" I would show up and shit in his cereal if I were you, figuratively speaking of course."

LMAO Quid HMM also something I would considder :grin:

You listed your job as a former pastor on your resume, right? You probably did not go off topic and shoot yourself in the foot by using your resume as a soapbox to announce that you abandoned your belief and consider xianity so much bullcrap, right?

I was thinking the same thing Shack!

BTW Cowabunga, did u hear anything from this guy since?

(Sorry I only today saw this thread, not usually this sloooooow ;-) )

That sounds like the perfect reply.

Yeah but I would add one more thing to return the favor:

If he contacts CJ again to set up a meeting because of the Wednesday service thing, go along with it. See if you can get him to meet you on the other side of town.

Then don't show up.