Psychics?

kazza

Hi I'm new - brought up evangelical christian, i'm married with 2 little boys and i'm just at the beginning stages of looking into the faith i was raised with and probably on a path to some sort of deconversion - its a long story which i will have to post at some point!

I was just wondering how atheists would explain psychics? I have friends who have been to them and they sound so very convincing - there is no way these people could know this stuff about them, people close to them who have passed on - really specific stuff etc. Also i had a very good friend die of leukimia 7 mths ago and i just heard a story yesterday about her contacting a friend of the family through a psychic who hadnt even met my friend when she was alive - all very convincing...

I'm sure this must have been discussed before but i couldnt find anything on it!

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Honestly, my first recommendation would be the Season 6 episode of South Park, The Biggest Douche in the Universe.

Most of it is simply reading the mark. I do a bit of runestone reading. Trust me- it has nothing to do with actually knowing the future- it's about reading the mark.

Psychics, one explanation is cold reading. We tell a lot more than we think. There are books and studies about this, even books how to learn how to become a psychic.

I'm with Han. Cold reading is a fine art....of deception. Sylvia Browne has made a fortune telling people what they want to hear.

Watch Penn and Teller on youtube or the CBS show "The Mentalist" depicts how a fictional ex-psychic turned investigator did and does "miracles" just by paying close attention to details.

I'm with Han. Cold reading is a fine art....of deception. Sylvia Browne has made a fortune telling people what they want to hear.

Watch Penn and Teller on youtube or the CBS show "The Mentalist" depicts how a fictional ex-psychic turned investigator did and does "miracles" just by paying close attention to details.

Even though I did not believe in them before, Sylvia Browne is the one person that single-handedly proved to me that psychics just are not with it either. They are as helpful as prophetic Christians. I saw her on Montel Williams when she claimed a boy that had been abducted was dead, yet the same boy was rescued that afternoon from the man that abducted him and with the help of another boy previously abducted by the same man. Think of the psychic bomb Sylvia would have dropped had she predicted that one! Psychics were all asleep on 9-11-09 and they were asleep in the years before the bombing of the WTC since no one had predicted it before it happened. Psychics claim credit after the fact just like prophets. Prophecy always looks good until you realize the prophecy comes after the event, so that is hardly a prophecy. Prophets muddle their sayings in mysterious riddles that may or may not come true and in any event it leaves people scratching their heads trying to figure them out. If prophets cannot give a good enough forecast to understand, then they are just as phony as psychics.

I did meet two men in their late 40s, occurrences were years apart, that accurately predicted their own deaths. That left me scratching my head for a while! Maybe people who about to die are more in-tuned to their body changes? I don't know but these two people were known to me personally for several years before their deaths and neither one of them were religious.

I can make a prediction too:

Something bad will happen sometime in the future! Beware!

Just wait and see. It will come true. And just know that you heard it from me first.

---

Talking about prophecy, when I was Christian there were several "prophets" who, after hearing the voice of God, and garrulously went on with tongue speaking, predicted that I would become a great prophet and do big things for God... well, look what happened... If they were right, then God wants me to preach atheism to y'all. :HaHa:

• Super Moderator

Welcome to the site!

I have done psychic entertainment. I have many friends who are psychics, some you've even seen on TV. It is a learned set of skills in psychology and observation. There are a few who truly believe they have the "gift" but they are in reality using the same techniques naturally.

I won't do it anymore because so many people don't see it as entertainment. They have sick relatives, recently deceased loved ones, serious diseases, financial crises, and psychotic concerns about the "spirit world" and afterlife. They will conduct their lives according to what their psychic tells them. It's a huge burden of responsibility.

Anyone with some natural people skills, no morals and the proper training can be a real psychic. That's the only kind there are.

Hi I'm new - brought up evangelical christian, i'm married with 2 little boys and i'm just at the beginning stages of looking into the faith i was raised with and probably on a path to some sort of deconversion - its a long story which i will have to post at some point!

I was just wondering how atheists would explain psychics? I have friends who have been to them and they sound so very convincing - there is no way these people could know this stuff about them, people close to them who have passed on - really specific stuff etc. Also i had a very good friend die of leukimia 7 mths ago and i just heard a story yesterday about her contacting a friend of the family through a psychic who hadnt even met my friend when she was alive - all very convincing...

I'm sure this must have been discussed before but i couldnt find anything on it!

The utter lack of success at anybody getting James Randi's million dollar prize is a powerful indictment of psychics. If they had such powers, it would be a great way to promote themselves and make some easy money. You can go to randi.org to find out more information about it, and if you want overall coverage of that sort of thing, "Skeptical inquirer" is a great magazine.

Psychics were all asleep on 9-11-09 and they were asleep in the years before the bombing of the WTC since no one had predicted it before it happened.
This is also my answer to the claims of physics. Just like the lack of God's involvement, one must wonder where all those physics were on 9/11. And it's not just that. What about Hurricane Katrina? Why is it that physics are never around when you really need them? If there's any truth to physic claims, it's the most worthless "gift" ever if it can't even be used to save people from major disasters. Physics tend to make predictions that are so broad that they can apply to almost anyone in any given situation. It's kind of like those online personality quizzes people make. Like "Which Star Trek character are you?" type of quizzes. The results to these quizzes might seem like they accurately guessed your personality type, but they're all made so vaguely they can apply to most anyone. I also recommend watching this BBC documentary hosted by Richard Dawkins that deals with disproving physics and other paranormal claims: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70e-blz7a4

Might sound odd, but I think Asimov was onto something with his depiction of a global conscience of sorts in his "Foundation" series.

Plus, we don't understand the dimensional attributes of time as yet...could be that some people have some kind of "ability" of sorts...yet not something that is controllable or marketable as a "psychic".

My mother's family has had some regular cases of "premonitions" in various family members.

I regularly have "deja vu" type dreams. Nothing major happens in them, they're always mundane moments, but I'll be sitting there doing something and suddenly remember dreaming about it days/weeks/months before.

Thank you all for your welcome and responses - i will check out the links - they look really interesting - i think i'm in the but what if they are right stage!