In A Dilemma Here...

Thunder 34

Hello.

I've learned today that this Thursday night, a Dr. Frank Turek is going to be lecturing on the proofs of God and the legitimacy of the Bible at my local college and will have a Q&A session. He is the author of "Not Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" and has debated Christopher Hitchens before. Not that I've read the book or heard of him before today...

My dilemma is, a local stagecrafters group is going to be putting on a musical this Thursday-Sunday. I love musicals. Thursday night, however, is student night with $7 tickets when they are usually $20. So, what should I do? Go see the discounted show, or attend the lecture and see the show for the regular price later on? Does anyone know if Dr. Turek is actually any good?

Thanks.

Never heard of him. Not sure what you "should" do, but what you could do is follow your gut on this one. The really good thing is there is no right answer! And, how freeing to be able to just think it through for yourself. And asking people here is a good idea. You might consider, what would you hope to accomplish by going to hear this guy? That might help you clarify in your mind what you are after. If you go, maybe you could take another unbeliever with you. Just a thought. Have fun whatever you decide!

My guess is that you won't hear anything from Dr. Turek that you haven't heard a thousand times before. Personally I would go to the musical.

Go to the musical, you'll probably get more out of it :grin:.

Flip a coin. Heads you suffer through crap, tails you go to the musical.

• Super Moderator

I also wonder why anyone who knows better would want to go listen to an apologetics showcase. It's not a format where you could successfully challenge the speaker.

What you SHOULD do is what you WANT to do. If those were my only two choices I'd probably stay home and organize my sock drawer. My guess is you'd enjoy a musical more than a lecture on a nonexistent god.

Yeah, yeah I know...

I just thought that I'd find the lecture entertaining really, or hopefully some intellectual stimulation.

Hello.

I've learned today that this Thursday night, a Dr. Frank Turek is going to be lecturing on the proofs of God and the legitimacy of the Bible at my local college and will have a Q&A session. He is the author of "Not Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" and has debated Christopher Hitchens before. Not that I've read the book or heard of him before today...

My dilemma is, a local stagecrafters group is going to be putting on a musical this Thursday-Sunday. I love musicals. Thursday night, however, is student night with $7 tickets when they are usually $20. So, what should I do? Go see the discounted show, or attend the lecture and see the show for the regular price later on? Does anyone know if Dr. Turek is actually any good?

Thanks.

Personally, i would go to the musical. However, if you really want to go hear Turek, take a fellow non-believer with you so at least if it's really stupid you'll have someone to vent with about it after it's over/ exchange amused glances during the presentation.

Hey, Thunder! Just checkin in with you. How did it go last night! Was it the muscial or the religious guy?

Guest Marty
I also wonder why anyone who knows better would want to go listen to an apologetics showcase. It's not a format where you could successfully challenge the speaker.

My thought would be that perhaps people in the audience could be reached. If it is a Q&A session afterword, many seeds of doubt could be implanted in those that are there...if it were me, I'd go to the lecture, but I work in musical theatre, so I guess that may be heavily influencing that...