I Need Some Support!

PandaPirate

Hey guys,

I'm going back to The University of West Florida in June to study Cultural Anthropology. I have to take College Algebra and math is NOT my strong suit. If I get stuck, I'm sure there are a few mathematical geniuses here who can help me, right?

Any suggestions otherwise?

I'm sure they do but sometimes I find those tutors to be as impatient as the math teacher!

I understand geometry but algebra is like...I don't know....I have to do it out loud in order to get it right. Which won't go over well during a test!!!

I majored in Math and Science:

Science was alcohol fermentation of yeast (keggers)

Math was counting the number of days until the end of the month and the distribution of edible products (starvation rations on a budget)

Seriously though I did ok in math and science and astronomy. I tutored English for Chinese students. I majored in Journalism and Sociology. I dropped out back in the late '80s. I'd be happy to help if possible.

Zero, thank you.

I recently went from being Christian (deconverted in 2007) to agnostic to atheist and now Deist. I noticed your custom user title says Gnostic Deist.

I believe in a Universal Intelligence, an awareness if you will. The only way I could reconcile my acceptance of evolution was if there was some sort of intelligence (which I know no one else agrees with) but I call it deistic evolution.

Further, I don't claim that this intelligence "cares" about me, either.

I'm sure they do but sometimes I find those tutors to be as impatient as the math teacher!

I understand geometry but algebra is like...I don't know....I have to do it out loud in order to get it right. Which won't go over well during a test!!!

Hehe I am the opposite. Geometry was tough on me because I have a hard time visualizing...but Algebra and I go together quite nicely. :D

I had to take remedial math when I got to college, so I hear you loud and clear. But I found that in classes like that for non-math majors who are probably more into humanities than math and science the profs usually ease up a bit and take everything slow. But I wish you the best!

I got this book called Arithmetic and Algebra Again and it explains stuff like I'm four years old. It's really great.

I wish my teachers had only explained it to my like this when I was in High School. It's not hard to understand once you have the right explanation.

I'll let you know if I still feel that way after I get to quadratic equations....