Goodbye Jesus

I Need Some Support!

PandaPirate

Hey guys,

I'm going back to The University of West Florida in June to study Cultural Anthropology. I have to take College Algebra and math is NOT my strong suit. If I get stuck, I'm sure there are a few mathematical geniuses here who can help me, right?

Any suggestions otherwise?

Not I! English person here. My university has a math and science center that offers free tutoring for students. You might want to see if your school has one.

I'm sure they do but sometimes I find those tutors to be as impatient as the math teacher!

I understand geometry but algebra is like...I don't know....I have to do it out loud in order to get it right. Which won't go over well during a test!!!

I majored in Math and Science:

Science was alcohol fermentation of yeast (keggers)

Math was counting the number of days until the end of the month and the distribution of edible products (starvation rations on a budget)

Seriously though I did ok in math and science and astronomy. I tutored English for Chinese students. I majored in Journalism and Sociology. I dropped out back in the late '80s. I'd be happy to help if possible.

Zero, thank you.

I recently went from being Christian (deconverted in 2007) to agnostic to atheist and now Deist. I noticed your custom user title says Gnostic Deist.

I believe in a Universal Intelligence, an awareness if you will. The only way I could reconcile my acceptance of evolution was if there was some sort of intelligence (which I know no one else agrees with) but I call it deistic evolution.

Further, I don't claim that this intelligence "cares" about me, either.

Isn't there some way to download this information directly into my brain like Lawnmower Man did?

I struggled with algebra too. I loved anthropology though! I may be able to help. Maybe with our combined minds!

They should have math labs available for you to attend. If my small community college can manage to have one, so should a university.

I'm sure they do but sometimes I find those tutors to be as impatient as the math teacher!

I understand geometry but algebra is like...I don't know....I have to do it out loud in order to get it right. Which won't go over well during a test!!!

Hehe I am the opposite. Geometry was tough on me because I have a hard time visualizing...but Algebra and I go together quite nicely. :D

I had to take remedial math when I got to college, so I hear you loud and clear. But I found that in classes like that for non-math majors who are probably more into humanities than math and science the profs usually ease up a bit and take everything slow. But I wish you the best!

I got this book called Arithmetic and Algebra Again and it explains stuff like I'm four years old. It's really great.

I wish my teachers had only explained it to my like this when I was in High School. It's not hard to understand once you have the right explanation.

I'll let you know if I still feel that way after I get to quadratic equations....