Goodbye Jesus

Joyce Meyer

Deva

OK straight up folks - does anyone else get the feeling that Joyce is actually nuts?

I was flipping the TV channels and here she is, promoting her 10,000th book. She was talking about leaving her father's home when she was 18 and being all depressed with a low self esteem situation until she "found out who she was in Christ" :wtf:

Question to everyone - how in the world does anyone (especially a woman) gain any sense of self worth from Christianity? Good god we know she's making millions, so she can hardly admit to anything else-- but do these people really believe what they are saying?

I wonder if she left or if her father really threw her out for lying or something.

I'm looking at her face and her eyes as she's speaking. Eyes are sad, and a fake smile.

She goes on to talk about depression, like she's some mental health expert - she goes "yeah it might be a chemical imbalance but what people really need is to find Jesus (and buy my book while you are at it). Hey I'm paraphrasing but it was another BS line about how Christ is the Answer. This woman is too bright to believe this stuff. Total victim of brainwashing.

Damn I wish some of these TV preachers would just come clean and admit they are totally in it for the money

I'll bet she's completely miserable any time she has to deal with real life and/or when the spotlight isn't on her...

In some Christian circles, especially in the Charismatic movement, a lot of stress is put on "knowing who you are in Christ" as a part of spiritual growth. So you can kick Satan's ass in spiritual warfare and all that stuff... :rolleyes: Check out this link:

http://www.ficm.org/whoiam.htm

And this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Victory-Over-Darknes...2855&sr=1-1

I used to have that book and I loved it at the time, and I believed all of it too. But, it didn't help me much in the real world with real life. I wanted it to very badly, but I never did "Walk in Victory" except during brief emotional highs. And then Satan would kick my ass and I'd wonder where God went...

Fanatical fundamentalist religion is the LAST thing a person suffering from depression or some other mental condition needs. What they really need is nutritional counseling, psychological counseling, and maybe a SHORT course of drugs IF they are having a crisis. There is a whole lot of truth to the saying, "You are what you eat." It's amazing how much impact what you eat has on your mental and physical health!

Joyce Meyer is nuts. Like all of those folks, she is totally disconnected from REALITY. I think she is in it for the money, obviously, but the sad thing is that she probably does actually believe most of the bullshit she writes about and promotes. My Aunt Arlene is a wonderful person and great to talk to and be around, but she is also a long-standing religious nut. She's really into Joyce Meyer's bullshit and other similar nonsense. I feel sorry for her in a way, but I also know that if she ever realizes that Christianity isn't true, it would just destroy her. She's spent her whole adult life living and breathing Christianity and she works in the Texas government to promote Christian beliefs and values. I strongly disagree with all that, of course, but out of love, I don't say much about it. She's about 60 years old now, and I think it would be better at this stage in her life if she went to her grave as a believer rather than going through the hellish pain of a deconversion after 40-ish years of Service to the Cult. Anyway...

• Haha 1

In some Christian circles, especially in the Charismatic movement, a lot of stress is put on "knowing who you are in Christ" as a part of spiritual growth. So you can kick Satan's ass in spiritual warfare and all that stuff... :rolleyes: Check out this link:

Damn Jeff, I mean Alaskan Atheist, that is some crazy shit.

Yeah, Sister Deva, it is! But strange as it seems now, that shit doesn't seem that crazy to me. It still seems like basic stuff you need to know and believe if you are going to be a Christian. I guess it doesn't seem strange simply because I was exposed to it and believed it for so long.

It certainly is. And living it is like a nightmare that never ends. Just keeps repeating itself and repeating itself....

I haven't heard of Joyce Meyer, but I am all too familiar with the "Jesus = AMAZING CURE" argument. I think this argument works especially well for mental illness because a very large number of people actually that mental illness is a sign of weakness. They don't seem to register the word "illness." I'm sure that many (but not all -- there are plenty of weirdos out there) of these "Jesus = AMAZING CURE" folks would not tell others to throw away their glasses, never use antibiotics, etc.

Question to everyone - how in the world does anyone (especially a woman) gain any sense of self worth from Christianity?

It must be the part about how humans are inherently evil and depraved and deserve to burn in hell for all eternity.

Paul invalidates any authority she has to teach.

Therefore, I can not understand how any Christian could possibly listen to her.

A bit embarrassing to admit but I used to be a Joyce fanatic. Every morning I used to turn her show on first thing. It went on for two years straight until I started questioning the Bible...I then came to the conclusion that she was a Christian hack and that she mostly taught from "all scriptures Paul" and neglected "precious" Jesus. I also felt that she was a hypocrite and extremely greedy--I still do.

• Like 1

OK straight up folks - does anyone else get the feeling that Joyce is actually nuts?

I was flipping the TV channels and here she is, promoting her 10,000th book. She was talking about leaving her father's home when she was 18 and being all depressed with a low self esteem situation until she "found out who she was in Christ" :wtf:

Question to everyone - how in the world does anyone (especially a woman) gain any sense of self worth from Christianity? Good god we know she's making millions, so she can hardly admit to anything else-- but do these people really believe what they are saying?

I wonder if she left or if her father really threw her out for lying or something.

I'm looking at her face and her eyes as she's speaking. Eyes are sad, and a fake smile.

She goes on to talk about depression, like she's some mental health expert - she goes "yeah it might be a chemical imbalance but what people really need is to find Jesus (and buy my book while you are at it). Hey I'm paraphrasing but it was another BS line about how Christ is the Answer. This woman is too bright to believe this stuff. Total victim of brainwashing.

Damn I wish some of these TV preachers would just come clean and admit they are totally in it for the money

She seems like she's very ANGRY and she is also very GREEDY.

My worry level went WAAAAAAY down when I stopped caring what the invisible sky spook thought or wanted.

That's hard to say.

She's "sane" enough to pocket the money and keep milking the cash cow.

However, I suspect that she is mentally unhinged in many other areas.

The Bible has served her well, as she can pick and choose what parts serve her interests and cast aside anything that gets in her way.

I can't stomach her babble for more than a few minutes.

But she's a creature very much in her element, which is a mixture of chicanery and Christo based pop psychology.

I was flipping the TV channels and here she is, promoting her 10,000th book.

She quite probably has a ghost writer(s) that crank out this stuff and then receive a portion of the proceeds.

Question to everyone - how in the world does anyone (especially a woman) gain any sense of self worth from Christianity?

Ah, the sense of self-worth is expressed in Jesus, who is advertised as having more self-worth than all of humanity put together.

Jesus was perfect, sinless, spotless, etc.

Faith in Jay-suz provides that inner glow of self worth and assurance that a better life waits ahead.

Humans alone are little more than slugs, incapable of anything without Jesus doing it for them.

Of course, Jesus never actually appears on stage with any of these preacher rodeo clowns, you'll just have to believe in them first, then Jesus will agree to help you out.

Yikes, this scam is so easy it's like taking candy from a baby.

I thought this might be good for the topic Deva, from Wiki.

Meyer, who owns several expensive homes and travels in a private jet (currently a Gulfstream IV),[11][12] has been criticized by some of her peers for living an excessive lifestyle.[5] She claims that she doesn't have to defend her spending habits because "there’s no need for us to apologize for being blessed."[11] Meyer also alludes to a double standard in the criticism of her lifestyle, saying, "You can be a businessman here in St. Louis, and people think the more you have, the more wonderful it is...but if you’re a preacher, then all of a sudden it becomes a problem."[11] She claims that she receives no net salary from the ministry by earning much more from book sale royalties from outlets outside of her ministry, and then contributing the rest of it back to the ministry.[13][14]

She gets alot of 'her' spending money, ...from the book sales. I like Joyce Meyers, and always thought she was pretty stand up for the most part, yet the best can fall in love with money. She was also included in the audit with Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, and Creflo Dollar. The Joyce Meyers ministry ended up passing the governments audits though.

I think we should initiate a bill about SEPARATION OF CHURCH and MENTAL HEALTH

These people have NO RIGHT telling people with mental illnesses that Jesus can cure them. It's unethical and it is DANGEROUS and it pisses me the fuck off!!!

She gets alot of 'her' spending money, ...from the book sales. I like Joyce Meyers, and always thought she was pretty stand up for the most part, yet the best can fall in love with money. She was also included in the audit with Benny Hinn, Kenneth opeland, and Creflo Dollar. The Joyce Meyers ministry ended up passing the governments audits though.

This woman does not strike me as happy upon looking at her facial expression. She is obviously deeply attached to wealth and power. You say "yet the best can fall in love with money." Please, yoyo, this apology for her is quite ridiculous. She may be actually believe what she is teaching (I doubt it) but what she is saying is false and misleading to many, many people. It is downright false, and is giving false hope to depressed people.

Jesus himself taught against relying upon material things at the expense of the poor. He said not to be concerned about material things and be like the lilies in the field. I wonder how many poor people contribute to her ministry that would be better off spending that money on the well being of their families. Jesus himself was dirt poor compared to anyone in an industrialized country today. Doesn't this strike you as hypocrisy?

Jesus himself taught against relying upon material things at the expense of the poor. He said not to be concerned about material things and be like the lilies in the field. I wonder how many poor people contribute to her ministry that would be better off spending that money on the well being of their families. Jesus himself was dirt poor compared to anyone in an industrialized country today. Doesn't this strike you as hypocrisy?
This is what I never understood about xtians like this. How do they get around Jesus' teachings against the rich? I'm reminded of that scene in Religulous where Bill Maher is interviewing one of those televeangelists and asking him what his biblical justification for his lavish lifestyle and scam is and the preacher gets all tongue tied and can never find any justification for it. I also don't get why people think Jesus is the answer to everything. I'm pretty sure Jesus never said anything on how to cure depression or any mental disorders at all, so where do they get this from? All these xtians are doing is just replacing one mental disorder for another but they're not actually solving anything.

She gets alot of 'her' spending money, ...from the book sales. I like Joyce Meyers, and always thought she was pretty stand up for the most part, yet the best can fall in love with money. She was also included in the audit with Benny Hinn, Kenneth opeland, and Creflo Dollar. The Joyce Meyers ministry ended up passing the governments audits though.

This woman does not strike me as happy upon looking at her facial expression. She is obviously deeply attached to wealth and power. You say "yet the best can fall in love with money." Please, yoyo, this apology for her is quite ridiculous. She may be actually believe what she is teaching (I doubt it) but what she is saying is false and misleading to many, many people. It is downright false, and is giving false hope to depressed people.

Calm down Deva, you should see my thread over in the Lions Den :wicked: You are correct, Jesus told His disciples to use the money for what they(the group) needed, and give the rest to the poor. I was actually giving you a little tidbit of how she lives, which is an obvious, 'better than normal' lifestyle. I say one comment, in the entire post of giving you information to rip her apart, and you tear into me? Whatever. I back behind what I say, and disagree with your comment (in bold). The hope she gives is by Jesus Christ, not her self. Now, some people will put their hope in other people and even Joyce Meyer, as to why I think God always wants his people 'holy' , or 'Christlike'; but the apparent observation is that she lives pretty good, as with all the other evangelicals I referenced.

I don't think she is misleading in anyway, other than to herself. Depressed people can't base their hope on another human, that's not logical. They can be influenced by many, even one, yet it isn't healthy to become dependent on someone else for happiness. Millions of people receive much joy from the belief in Jesus Christ, Devalight. And, To straighten this getting crooked board out.....I understand why you feel that way.

. I say one comment, in the entire post of giving you information to rip her apart, and you tear into me? Whatever.

No. I only said your apology or defense of her was ridiculous. That is not tearing into you, but if you continue with these types of positions, you may see an even more spirited response.

The hope she gives is by Jesus Christ, not her self. Now, some people will put their hope in other people and even Joyce Meyer, as to why I think God always wants his people 'holy' , or 'Christlike'; but the apparent observation is that she lives pretty good, as with all the other evangelicals I referenced.

We don't think Jesus Christ can give someone real hope. Its a hope, but I maintain it is ultimately a false hope. My rant was about her, not the other people, but if they are saying the same thing, they are equally guilty.

I don't think she is misleading in anyway, other than to herself. Depressed people can't base their hope on another human, that's not logical.

Nor an imaginary man in the sky, either.

Calm down Deva, you should see my thread over in the Lions Den :wicked: You are correct, Jesus told His disciples to use the money for what they(the group) needed, and give the rest to the poor. I was actually giving you a little tidbit of how she lives, which is an obvious, 'better than normal' lifestyle. I say one comment, in the entire post of giving you information to rip her apart, and you tear into me? Whatever. I back behind what I say, and disagree with your comment (in bold). The hope she gives is by Jesus Christ, not her self. Now, some people will put their hope in other people and even Joyce Meyer, as to why I think God always wants his people 'holy' , or 'Christlike'; but the apparent observation is that she lives pretty good, as with all the other evangelicals I referenced.

I don't think she is misleading in anyway, other than to herself. Depressed people can't base their hope on another human, that's not logical. They can be influenced by many, even one, yet it isn't healthy to become dependent on someone else for happiness. Millions of people receive much joy from the belief in Jesus Christ, Devalight. And, To straighten this getting crooked board out.....I understand why you feel that way.

False hope is really no hope at all. Jesus isn't real, so he can't give anybody anything at all, including hope. Depressed people don't need religion. In fact, religion - especially dogmatic, fundamentalist religion - is the LAST thing they need to be involved with. What depressed people need is nutritional and psychological counseling, and maybe a SHORT-TERM course of drug treatment IF they are in a crisis situation.

It could be that depressed people could get temporarily psyched up and propped up by a persuasive speaker like Joyce. I'm throwing that out as a possibility. But it is not reality. It is actually not much different that taking a drink or some kind of drug.

Hope is overrated. It is basically living in the future instead of the present. Its better that reality be faced IMO.

Anyway, Joyce lives a rich lifestyle. That is beyond dispute. Should a Christian live a rich lifestyle? I don't think so, but I am sure others can make plenty of excuses for it.

I believe when people are have an experience they term as divine or spiritual or experiencing God, they are experiencing a feeling of love and acceptance that comes from within. Maybe it is a chemical our brain creates. Maybe there is an almighty source of divine energy that is the source of all life, but when a person feels a truly profound sense of love and acceptance from within, it does cure depression. Maybe it is only a temporary fix. Maybe they could still benefit from meds. But it makes sense to me if someone believes in Christ as their God, when they feel this sense of inner love and acceptance, they would attribute it to God curing them in some way. In their mind, He has. If it is all in their imagination, it is still effective. By loving Him, they are, in fact, loving the part of their brain that created this delusion. It is still an expression of self love and I would see that as positive and harmless to the rest of us. As far as money goes, it is always suspicious when someone profits off of spiritual guidance, but I still have the option to not pay them for their services should I see no value in their advice. So even that is harmless to me.