Goodbye Jesus

The Bar Vs. Church

GraphicsGuy

My first time in a bar/pub was shortly after I deconverted and moved out of my home.

A friend invited me out to see his band play. I think I had one beer (my first ever) over the entire 3 or 4 hours I was there and I remember thinking, "this is just like church."

Over the last 1.5 years I've had that same thought repeated a few times. Being at the bar isn't much different from church.

Wing nights are like Bible study groups or young adult nights or whatever. We sit around the tables. We talk about our weeks, our problems. We encourage each other. We laugh.

Go to where a live band is playing with room to dance and you've got a full-fledged charismatic service going on.

Instead of worshiping God, the band gets the praise. You dance like crazy people. Instead of praying for each other you dance and laugh and hug and high-five.

And on top of it all, instead of getting "high" on brain-chemicals and good feelings about an imaginary being you have alcohol, maybe some weed, some sexual stimulant, etc.

It's people gathering together and having a good time...that's something you just don't realize when you're stuck in the cult. You're sitting in church thinking, "At least I'm not out THERE drinking and partying with the evil people!"

Just a general observation...

Mark, I like the comparison. But I'll have to take your word for it. Believe me, I'll let ya'll know if/when I ever make into a bar!!! :D

p.s. you forgot something, you pay for what you get at a bar, at church they pass the basket and ask you to dig deep!

p.s. you forgot something, you pay for what you get at a bar, at church they pass the basket and ask you to dig deep!

Erk...you're right!

And it's even 10-15% of my income on a regular basis...although I think I hit 20-30% last month... :(

Try a lounge to start, joD...laid back and enjoyable. :)

I replaced my church with a bar too :beer: and have never been happier!

Question: is it easier to get laid at a bar or at church? Lord knows I never got any action at church. I think if I would've, I might've been kept in the fold for longer (I'm serious).

Question: is it easier to get laid at a bar or at church? Lord knows I never got any action at church. I think if I would've, I might've been kept in the fold for longer (I'm serious).

Who's to say those 80 year old widows don't have a few tricks up their sleeves?

Who's to say those 80 year old widows don't have a few tricks up their sleeves?

I'm all for having some fun with the cougars, but that's goin' a little too far. :twitch:

Well I've met more accepting, loving and caring women at bars than I ever did at church. Does that help with your question?

Well I've met more accepting, loving and caring women at bars than I ever did at church. Does that help with your question?

Well, there's a lot less ice queens at the bar, I can say that much. :grin:

• Super Moderator

At a bar you get something real for your money. It might be just a hangover, but it's real.

• Super Moderator

When I was in Pittsburgh a few years ago, I found a church that was converted into a bar. Best use of a church I can think of!

:beer:

http://www.churchbrewworks.com/

Hey, buffetfan,

I live in the pittsburgh area and have driven by the church brewery, haven't been there yet. But now I think I'd like to try it out!

When I was a kid in Minnesota, my family would take a drive on Sundays up to Canada for the afternoon, we lived only 25 miles from the border, so I've seen a lot of Canada as a kid. Anyway, there was a church we would pass every Sunday and the church's parking lot was full. Coming back from Canada in the late afternoon, early evening, all the cars that had been at the church were now parked across the street at the bar and it would have a full parking lot.

Finally, a thread that I feel oh so comfortable with.

I spent from about age 17 to age 25 in the bar....we frequented the bar so much, one time, we got kicked out because the bar had been rented by a wedding party......we just thought the bar was open on Sunday evening. :Doh: Truth be known, if I ever get divorced and loose the kids, I am going back. I have never felt more comfortable than in a bar.

Good post Mark.

Ummm...the amount of effort and/or gumption to talk to the women and woo them a little is probably about the same.

However, I would say that there's less commitment involved...maybe...