Goodbye Jesus

I Really Miss The Praise Music

AKR

And by "totally awesome" I mean completely pathetic and horrible. My mom has praise music on fairly often over at their house and it's still just as crappy as ever. It seems that the people who want to praise god the most have the least talent. Most of the songs are very generic sounding and even the more original, decent sounding (musically) ones sound so pathetic, like they're groveling or something. They sound like they've given up on life and have no self-esteem. "I'm such a pathetic piece of shit, and you're so awesome. Can I stick my head up your ass further? Please grant me this even though I am unworthy!" I never liked it even as a Christian. Now, it's even worse because I think of how pathetic it is that they spend so much time writing shitty songs in order to kiss their pretend friend's ass.

Almost all the xtian music sounds pretty much the same to me. I can't understand how anyone can listen to it. And the lyrics are always cheesy. It's like they're just trying to make apologetics rhyme or something.

I don't like any Christian music anymore, other than Gregorian and Eastern Orthodox chants. My mother is all the time humming "How Great Thou Art". I used to like that one when I was about 10. Now I would like to substitute some of the words of that song. It would be something like "when I look down and see the parasites and viruses" instead of "the loft mountain grandeur and the birds singing sweetly in the trees. The lyrics really suck, its all about the glories of nature instead without any of the suffering and horror.

Yeah, I always loathed it. I was never able to understand how other youth my age were able to enjoy it so much. Perhaps they were as perplexed by my love for thrash metal, grindcore, etc.

Oh for the days when the likes of J.S. Bach and G.F. Handel were in charge of writing church music... even as an atheist i can still sing my heart out to any of Handel's work, just because it is so beautiful. The "Rejoice Greatly" aria from Messiah is one of my favourites to sing in the shower... it's such a vocal workout! :) But yeah, most if not all of the new stuff is total shit.

There were a lot of great Christian bands out there. It's just that you weren't going to hear them on Christian radio. Somebody mentioned Project 86. I saw them live once. Absolutely incredible. Also, I believe Tourniquet should have been up there with Megadeth and Exodus back in the 80s speed metal days. Those guys easily would've been were their lyrics not "Jesus this" and "Jesus that." They were a truly great speed metal band. Just fucking incredible.

But yeah, for every one that's good or great, or at least okay, there's a million others that reek of shit.

This is why I dont like most Christian artist.

http://christianmusic.about.com/library/blcomparea.htm

GET YOUR OWN SOUND!

Most of the secular bands that the xtian bands rip off weren't even all that original sounding to begin with. Have you ever heard the singer Krystal Meyers? She's practically an identical xtian copycat of Avril Lavigne. Her voice even sounds the same but all her songs have this whole sexist vibe to them. Like all her songs are about how incomplete her life is without having her male dominated figure in the sky telling her what to do all the time. I love how one of my friends who's a Christian describes Christian "rock" as sounding like they want to make love to Jesus. I don't get why they call it Christian "rock" either since most of it is more like cheesy pop music than any actual rock.

Oh for the days when the likes of J.S. Bach and G.F. Handel were in charge of writing church music... even as an atheist i can still sing my heart out to any of Handel's work, just because it is so beautiful. The "Rejoice Greatly" aria from Messiah is one of my favourites to sing in the shower... it's such a vocal workout!
The anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion wouldn't be the same without having Bach and Hendel's music playing throughout it and quite blasphemous, too.

This is why I dont like most Christian artist.

http://christianmusic.about.com/library/blcomparea.htm

GET YOUR OWN SOUND!

Most of the secular bands that the xtian bands rip off weren't even all that original sounding to begin with.

Ture. But How many Christian songs do you know that have a original sound to them comparied to Scular Artist?

This summer I spent two weeks in rural (at least to a city girl like me, to them it was the 'burbs) MN with my boyfriend's family...his mom had praise and worship music on 24/7...I almost started killing (the nonexistant) passerbys. I also found it fascinating that no one seems to have written a new, popular worship song in 10 years.

There were a lot of great Christian bands out there. It's just that you weren't going to hear them on Christian radio. Somebody mentioned Project 86. I saw them live once. Absolutely incredible. Also, I believe Tourniquet should have been up there with Megadeth and Exodus back in the 80s speed metal days. Those guys easily would've been were their lyrics not "Jesus this" and "Jesus that." They were a truly great speed metal band. Just fucking incredible.

But yeah, for every one that's good or great, or at least okay, there's a million others that reek of shit.

The song "bats" by Tourniquet rocks my world, as does the lead singer of Project's face.

Oh for the days when the likes of J.S. Bach and G.F. Handel were in charge of writing church music... even as an atheist i can still sing my heart out to any of Handel's work, just because it is so beautiful. The "Rejoice Greatly" aria from Messiah is one of my favourites to sing in the shower... it's such a vocal workout! :) But yeah, most if not all of the new stuff is total shit.

I like classical music. But any religious music with words is ftl imho.

Y'know... I think it'd be really really funny to take some of the "in love with Jeebus" type hymns and songs, and remix them with a gay club beat.

:cunn:

Almost all the xtian music sounds pretty much the same to me. I can't understand how anyone can listen to it. And the lyrics are always cheesy. It's like they're just trying to make apologetics rhyme or something.

There's actually some great bands that are Christian that you would never know they weren't unless you paid close attention to the lyrics. Switchfoot is hugely popular even in the secular world. Chevelle, Fly Leaf, Benjamin Gate (absolute awesome music), and some others. I don't usually listen to them as much because I just hate Christian music for the fact that it's Christian but I think you'd be surprised at some of the bands out there...until they start doing praise songs.

There's actually some great bands that are Christian that you would never know they weren't unless you paid close attention to the lyrics. Switchfoot is hugely popular even in the secular world. Chevelle, Fly Leaf, Benjamin Gate (absolute awesome music), and some others. I don't usually listen to them as much because I just hate Christian music for the fact that it's Christian but I think you'd be surprised at some of the bands out there...until they start doing praise songs.
Switchfoot is the only Christian band that I like because they're the closest thing you can get to being a Christian band without actually being one. Like they never actually mention Jesus or the bible in their songs and they have an actual original sound. Although don't Switchfoot describes themselves more as a band that happens to be Christian rather than a Christian band? But I hate those ones that's all about how great and wonderful their religion is and how they want to make love to Jesus. One of my classmates in high school is in a Christian band called Nevertheless. I was just surprised to hear them in Way FM once when I was bored because they were just a niche band back when I was in high school although I didn't really care for their kind of music.

I can't stand the sound that passes for modern contemporary Christian music or its screeching sister of holiness, black gospel music. I'd rather have someone stick a running drill bit up my nose than have to sit and listen that noise!