Goodbye Jesus

Why Most Christian Music And Entertainment Stinks

nivek

I never liked Christian music, so I never listened to it (I tried once but I couldn't withstand it). I couldn't tell any of the songs apart because they all sounded the same--same message and same styling.

Ditto. I NEVER liked that Christian music shit - it was all so cheesy and all sounded the same. I used to hate going to church and having to pretend to like that shit when someone would be on stage "performing".

I never liked Christian music, so I never listened to it (I tried once but I couldn't withstand it). I couldn't tell any of the songs apart because they all sounded the same--same message and same styling.

Ditto. I NEVER liked that Christian music shit - it was all so cheesy and all sounded the same. I used to hate going to church and having to pretend to like that shit when someone would be on stage "performing".

I'm still forced to attend my pentecostal church and holy christ do I HATE the music we have to sing. It's all the more insufferable because all my friends are in choir and practice all the time. It blows chunks.

I'm still forced to attend my pentecostal church and holy christ do I HATE the music we have to sing. It's all the more insufferable because all my friends are in choir and practice all the time. It blows chunks.

I feel for you. That's got to be awful.

I love Celtic Christian music (even now). Iona and Eden's Bridge are fabulous if you're into that genre:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b0xobqadK5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Christian" stuff -- i.e. Rock, romance novels, movies, etc. -- tends to be a pale imitation of the secular counterpart. On top of that, the art form itself ends up neutered to keep it clean and "godly". Last, and this is probably a big one, these products tend to be all about pushing the message first, and, oh, here's a cute joke or two and a bare hint of plot.

In short, products marketed specifically as "Christian" just plain SUCK.

But I love cheesy pop music! I can't get enough of the stuff. But Christian pop music makes me want to take an immersion blender to my inner ear, yet I can stomach the gooiest of Japanese pop, and I even have a great deal of it on my iPod. I'm listening to Nami Tamaki right now!

Hey Rubyfruit,

Being a heavy duty anime fan, I've got a liking for some J-pop, so I know where you're coming from. Now you know what'd be downright frightening? If someone tried to do a christian answer to Malice Mizer or other visual kei bands.

remoteImage-4.jpg

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the style of music, here's a wiki link that explains it better than I can. Wikipedia-Malice Mizer

Yay! A fellow anime fan! Hi there!

Actually, that'd be fucking hilarious for them to even try. And then it'd be scary. Especially if they tried to do a Christian answer to Dir en Grey. That just has so much wrong with it that I can't even imagine anyone trying to do it. There's like a spiraling hierarchy of wrong with the very idea.

And now I need them to DO THIS. Just because it would be so spectacularly AWFUL and trainwreck-y and lulzy.

(Sorry, was my Chaotic Neutral showing?)

As a university student back in the 90s, I can remember my then house group leader making me sit through some video made by a Christian about all the demonic forces in "secular" music. Basically everything was inspired by Satan, everything from David Bowie, Michael Jackson, even The Bangles. Bowie was Satanic because of his make-up for Ziggy Stardust, Michael Jackson was slated for the Thriller video, the Bangles for alleged satanic verses if you played their songs backwards. When I dared to ask why on earth anyone would spin a record backwards, I was met with a poisonous glare from Mrs Housegroupleader. Anyway, I never listened to any Christian music as I always felt that it sounded lazy, unoriginal and cheesy. I know that many christians have gone ape over those "left behind" books, but they left me cold, I only read 10 pages and gave up.

My mom is always telling me about the latest and greatest (to her ) Christian movie she's watched that week. I can not stand Christian movies!!!! They are so mind numbing! And who, who really lives their lives the way those movies show? They are so terribly sappy and plastic. So I cringe everytime she mentions one.

I used to listen to KLOVE. I can not stomach it anymore. My husband likes Christian metal. That's a treat. Nothing like an angry guy (who always sounded demonic to me) scream about how much Jesus loves you! We have discovered http://www.korpiklaani.com/. He loves them, that cracks me up since they are very pagan. I find them to be interesting because they mix so many different sounds in their music. I never liked metal, but I like these guys. Maybe they have cast a pagan spell on me through their music! ;)

Excuse me. Michael Jackson, Satanic?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

The dude's whole schtick (besides the awesome music and fancy footwork) was LOVE EVERYONE. BE KIND. TAKE CARE OF THOSE IN NEED. (And while we're at it, would ya please leave me alone?)

For reference, see "Man in the Mirror", "Can You Feel It?", "Heal The World", etc.

If peace and love and caring for your fellow travelers is "Satanic", their Christ is in a shit-ton of trouble!