Why Are So Many Christians So Pro-active Towards Crime?

I asked this question on another forum and they're all scrambling to answer it. I was thinking of Christians who say we'd all be robots if god intervened and stopped crime. My post:

They say that evil exists because god gives people free will and if he stops people from hurting each other, then he would be taking away their free will. Well, what are Christians doing by supporting jailing people and giving some of them the death penalty? Isn't that like playing god? Aren't you taking away people's free will? Why is ok for a human to stop and possibly attack another human or send them to the gas chamber for hurting an innocent person, but if god did this, it would destroy free will?

This guy shot himself in the face with this post:

I think the heart of the counter-argument is that by allowing other people to freely steal, rape, murder, and all that nasty stuff, you are in fact undermining freedom rather than protecting it, because you leave society vulnerable to the whims of the dissident.

And you aren't destroying their free will (that can't happen) by enforcing laws to protect people, because they are still capable of disobeying the law. Likewise, with a direct command from God, a person can willingly disobey that command, it's just that they will reap the conequences of it.

me:

Really, so then god is undermining people's free will. Thank you. Thank you so much for that, as this is a great segue into another question I wanted to ask which was "isn't allowing someone to force an action onto someone else allowing that innocent person's will to be crushed?" There will is to not be hurt or raped, and when you allow someone to do those things, you are allowing the will of the innocent to be crushed.

Wrong (about being capable of disobeying the law). You can't do most crimes while in jail with prison guards around. You're also acting as if no one ever stops someone in the act of a crime.

I love it when people's argument actually works against them. I just don't get why they even care if a rapist has free will. Like, "that poor rapist. We wouldn't want god to interfere with him destroying the will of another person." And then, for some reason, they think it would be horrible for someone to stand back and allow a rape to happen, but they think that god SHOULD stand back. How fucking stupid.

The thread for anyone who is interested in watching them scramble.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114896911

I don't know. I get your point. It's a worthy question to me. It's frustrating that nobody will deal with your question. Maybe the people at the bodybuilding website don't have he intellectual acumen or honesty to face the question.

Have you tried it on a forum like reasonablefaith.org or some other theology/apologist website?

I don't know. I get your point. It's a worthy question to me. It's frustrating that nobody will deal with your question. Maybe the people at the bodybuilding website don't have he intellectual acumen or honesty to face the question.

Have you tried it on a forum like reasonablefaith.org or some other theology/apologist website?

I've debated scientists and preachers on that forum. It's actually one of the top forums on the internet and the R/P is quite busy. Certain threads will bust out 5 pages in a few hours, and some of my threads are that way as well. It's not that there aren't a lot of them around of varying intellectual levels, it's just that every now and then with certain questions I ask, they will NOT touch it. It's hilarious, because some of the more common arguments people post will get lots of hits, but when I point out something I haven't seen pointed out before, they all scurry into the shadows. I'll have to check out that site, though. You're right though, most of them aren't very honest though. You can back them into a very obvious corner, and they'll leave the thread and pretend it never happened. But I think that's just fairly common among believers. Run away from difficult questions.

It probably just segues with their propensity towards authoritarian conservatism. They think that in the good society, gay people go to jail for having butt sex. Naturally, they'll also want to stick it extra hard to actual criminals, too.

And then there's the question of why they're perhaps the most militarist subculture of our entire society, in light of the Bush Wars.