Goodbye Jesus

Hell Houses

Skeptic

Have you been to a hell house? Would you go as an ex-xian, or do you think it would still be too scary?

I have never been to a hell house. I've heard they can be pretty gruesome, so I don't know if I'd go or not. I used to be into that kind of thing, but now that I have a child, it takes on a whole other meaning, you know? From the ones that I've seen on YouTube and the one that I saw on Root of all Evil, though, they don't accurately depict a lot of things, so it would probably be more of a joke than anything. Then again, I've never been to one, so I totally understand that there are people who are ex-xians who are terrified of them just because of the bad memories they've had of them.

I wouldn't go to one, and never have been to one. Now, it is more along the lines that I would become confrontational seeing people drag their children into these places.

Would love to go to one and see the stupidity on display.

4 minutes 42 seconds

6 minutes 59 seconds

Well I must take the award for dumbest person of the year :HaHa:

What the hell is a hell house????

See links in my post as to what they are.

Hell houses are kind of like xian haunted houses. The ones that I've heard of even pop up during Halloween. They show graphic depictions of "sins" like abortion, suicide, and homosexuality and usually show what hell is like. It's a "tool" that a lot of churches use to scare people into being xian.

It's like being "scared straight" where they take juvenile deliquents to prison and scare them into behaving. I suppose it works. Okay, now I'm freaked out and scared shitless. And this is supposed to put the waivering believer on the road to a healthy relationship with the Divine?

Christianity is such a perverse religion sometimes.

I've been to a Hell House before. More than once, actually.

I don't think I'd go again. I'd probably get kicked out for cracking wise or something.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

The Inquisitions.

Teh real hell houses that deluded X-tians get to enact and construct when they own the government in a theocratic state.

That's all I have to say.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

I had never ever heard of these before. We certainly don't have, not that I am aware of anything like this over here in Australia. I am stunned and shocked and completely repulsed by the very idea of all this. :twitch:

Pretty fuckin' demented, eh?

I remember we would always hear stories about "militant lesbians" that would show up to protest a Hell House, only to end up getting saved.

I helped build the set for a Hell House once but I didn't participate beyond that and never saw one in action.

I'd never been to one but I'd love to go just to laugh at them and ask them questions like how can you feel pain when you're already dead, which kind of ruins the effectiveness when you realize that. And everyone knows that all the most interesting people are in hell. Who wants to go to church for all eternity? That would be real hell for me.

Growing up Catholic, we never had anything like that. I fact I never even heard of one until I saw a documentary about it on TV several years ago. I don't think it was the Dawkins one. It was earlier than that. Same sick shit though. I was stunned that adults would put their kids through something like that. It's child abuse. But even worse, I consider it a very real form of intellectual terrorism that is primarily leveled at kids and adolescents. And I'd be willing to bet that the younger the child, the more severe the psychological damage is done that they carry throughout later life.

I can remember to this day going to Mass from school one morning (the church was right across the street from the school and we had to attend Mass every morning before classes began), and the priest who was the pastor of the parish made the statement that he would cut off the feet of any kid he found with their feet up on the pews. I am 59 years old for fuck sakes, and I can still remember the horror of that moment like it was last week. I must have been all of 6 or 7 years old at the time.

The old bastard. :angry2:

.the priest who was the pastor of the parish made the statement that he would cut off the feet of any kid he found with their feet up on the pews. I am 59 years old for fuck sakes, and I can still remember the horror of that moment like it was last week. I must have been all of 6 or 7 years old at the time.

Jeez :wtf: that makes me mad just to think about it. This is one of the reasons why I really hate Christianity. The stuff just stays with you. I can recall things the pastor said from the 1970s that still give me the willies.

Who needs a hell house?

My folks would just cruise down 4th avenue every once in a while (even circle the block a couple times) to look at the drunk homeless people. It was practically a spectator sport...but with a pretty clear underlying message: "This is extremely pathetic....you don't want to be an object lesson for some kid in the backseat of a car later in life...do you?"

They've since closed most of the shit-hole-in-the wall bars on that street, but there are still a couple. And when summer comes....it's homeless watching season!

It must be so difficult for all those pure-hearted christians to be re-enacting sinful activities alike orgies and such. How do they even get volunteers for such tough work?

And when summer comes....it's homeless watching season!

Here in Vegas, it's year round! Although our hellish summers often send many of 'em back up north.

wouldn't attend even when I was "on fire for the lord" christian. I disagreed with the idea of scaring someone into "faith". Kind of like a more graphic version of Pascal's Wager.

I was lucky, never got dragged to one.