Goodbye Jesus

Why I'm An Atheist

Kyle

It is only a matter of time before I come out as an Atheist. I know there will be lots of friends and family members with questions. So I thought I would use this forum to lay it all out there. Then I can give them the link. I choose not to quote and refute bible verses. I choose not to enter into theological discussion. Instead, these are my personal thoughts and opinions. I am a much happier person now. I am free. Christians may talk about peace, but I know exactly how it feels.

Why I'm an Atheist.

After much thought, study, reading. and reflection, I CHOOSE to live my life by reason rather than superstition.

I will enjoy my life and this world now rather than hopes of a better place that may never come.

I will do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. I don't need a book to explain the diference between right and wrong. Morality existed long before the bible. It is an innate part of the human being. I will avoid hurting others and try to bring joy to the world around me.

I will enjoy my life without fear, shame, guilt, and condemnation.

I will believe in myself.

I will not let the judgement of others steal my joy.

I will say what I feel.

I will be an example to my children that a quality life is not defined by adhering to superstitious laws dictated by a great babysitter in the sky. I will enjoy time with them. Teach them right from wrong. Challenge them to learn, to question, and to think bigger than those who say "there is only one way."

I believe salvation is found all around us. The freedom to live my life on my terms is all the salvation I need.

I will grieve my loses without false hope of reunions never to come.

I enjoy knowing that there are just coincidences in life. There is no "plan". Divine appointments don't exist, and there is such a thing as dumb luck.

When my child is sick, I see a doctor, administer medications, and comfort her because that is all I can do. My time is more productive taking care of her or stroking her hair than it is on my knees.

Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. There is no reason behind it.

Wealth is not bad. (I wish I really knew)

I love my wife and she loves me. We are a team. She is not beneath me nor should she be my submissive. How can that be love anyway?

I believe that sex can be JUST for pleasure.

And the best for last: I will not try to convert anyone to my way of thinking. I will not be arrogant about my beliefs or nonbeliefs. I will respect others until their beliefs infringe upon me. There are too many evangilizers out there already. The only thing I can control is my life. I will live it to its fullest.

I wouldn't say this, even though this is what you might feel now.

As a manifesto, it's lacking--though it's clearly very heartfelt and I certainly felt exactly as you did just before sending some emails to my church back in 2001. But notice how many times you say "I." Your Christian friends will just think you're being selfish.

We all believe pretty much as you believe. However, there are alternate paths of justifying yourself to Christians--which may be an important thing to do because ( a ) you don't really want to alienate all of them as some are surely good people, and ( b ) you may want to anticipate their replies ("You're just thinking of yourself." "You want to be your own God." "Real freedom is only found in God's Kingdom.")

You may want to explain what positive lessons love--love of your wife perhaps--has taught you. Thinking of others--for example about how primitive people love each other--has taught you that a God of Love would not condemn so many beautiful people to hell. That you've learned that babies are beautiful. But the-God-the-chuch-has-created considers little Hindoo, Muslim, and Jewish babies to be monsters worthy of eternal damnation. And that you don't want to think that way anymore because love won't let you.

Or something like that. A bit more positive, a bit less "me me me me." Just my thoughts/suggestions. Don't mean to offend.

No offense taken. I appreciate your input. You have some good points, and some of your points I had considered. But it all comes down to this...I've spent so much time under "their" microscope that I just don't care if they think I'm being selfish.

Your point about the babies is something I had never thought about. Very profound.

No offense taken. I appreciate your input. You have some good points, and some of your points I had considered. But it all comes down to this...I've spent so much time under "their" microscope that I just don't care if they think I'm being selfish.

Your point about the babies is something I had never thought about. Very profound.

Screw 'em. I hear you. You need to tell them exactly what you think. But you'll get a certain response--I'm pretty sure.

I helped a good friend deconvert from a strict fundamentalist church. It was very hard for him because he only one friend outside the church (me). Everyone tried to get him back into it. This went on for months via email. I still have the emails from back then.

We had to work out exactly what was wrong with the church and with the Christianity. It was a tough process. I appreciate the comment about being profound, but there's nothing profound about me. I just went through the process of going back and forth and struggling with the community. The process teaching you things. It refines you. It's painful but worth it.

I can't help but wonder what's so wrong with being selfish in the first place. It's entirely natural to be selfish to a healthy degree. Excessive selfishness is bad, sure, but so is everything else when taken to excess (yes, even "positive" things like happiness and philanthropy - you're not going to help many folks by giving so much you're left homeless and destitute yourself).

I think you've got the right idea, Kyle. If they think you're being selfish, fugg'em.