Charles Darwin And The Tree Of Life (2009)

Vigile

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

The same can be watched on YouTube without commercials and all that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5n0hwzNhI

And in HD ;) .

Great show, too, btw.

When I went there, after I verified that I am human ;) , it played a commercial first before starting the video. It also hung a 1% for about 5 minutes and didn't play at all (after the commercial). So I ended up looking for the video elsewhere.

When I went there, after I verified that I am human ;) , it played a commercial first before starting the video. It also hung a 1% for about 5 minutes and didn't play at all (after the commercial). So I ended up looking for the video elsewhere.

Just click on the alternative links. The first link wasn't working well, but the z-share link worked great for me.

What I don't like about YouTube is they don't allow for more than 10 min time spots so you end up loading 10 vids to watch a film.

I had not seen that particular show before. Thanks for the links! It is good to have a refresher once in a while.

I had not heard the argument over the evolution of the human eye before. I have more ammo when arguing with creationist. I had not thought of eye development as an argument from creationists. I remembered being instructed in this evolution in grade school but most of my teachers glossed over it as I got older. I think not many teachers in public schools know how to present the origin of species or repeat the theory of evolution or the natural selection of species that leads to evolution. I've had to have refreshers over the years and more so lately than before. Ever since Intelligent Design lost in court, I've found more web pages and more people off the web are arguing over ID and evolution. For me, being raised a fundy, evolution was difficult to understand. I had a hard time understanding how humans developed the capacity to create--the evolution of the mind. Although I could understand how species evolved, I could not understand how our minds develop within the brain. Predators are more creative than grass eaters. Over time this aided humans to develop their senses and imaginations towards constructive creativity, marred at times by destructive creativity. But for me, the human mind was and at times still is the biggest hurdle for me to embrace in my deconversion. I could not separate the thinking mind of humans from the biblical creation of man. I had many questions 'why'? Then I read Richard Dawkins book, The God Delusion, and in the front of the book, I cannot locate right now, Dawkins awakened in me the knowledge I had been asking all the wrong questions about creation. Instead of asking 'why' are we made, I should be asking 'how' are we made? Once I started changing how I ask questions, a whole area of what I could not understand has become much, much more understandable.

I remembered being instructed in this evolution in grade school but most of my teachers glossed over it as I got older.

My HS didn't teach us anything about evolution. When I took botany at the university, however, it became an undeniable fact to me. They didn't really focus on teaching us evolution. Rather, we studied the relationship between water-born plant life from algae to sea weed on up to water dependent plant life. It was clear there was a progression and a connection. Then as you study the evolution of reproduction from the older forms of plant life to the more complex forms it just becomes quite clear that there was a progression taking place.

I started out the semester as a denier and ended up 110% convinced. It played a big role in my deconversion which was already in progress at the time.

I honestly don't see how anyone who has studied botany or zoology can deny it. If they can, I question their ability to understand the big picture.

Being raised a fundy, I was not even remotely curious to evolution concerning life until I took an astronomy course in college that taugth the evolution of planetary bodies, galaxies, and other neat stuff. After studying astronomy, a light bulb went off in my head and many ideas concerning evolution I was raised to disregard, made more sense.