Goodbye Jesus

Evangelizing And Atheists

Skeptic

I just saw a YouTube video called Interview with an Atheist. In a nutshell, he said that most xians aren't trying hard enough and they don't take hell seriously enough. He also said something that I hear a lot on this site: that xians don't try hard enough to save our "souls" from hell. I kind of agree, but I don't them to try to save my soul. I don't want to keep being pestered into being a xian. I already have to hear enough of it in passing. If I had someone who was constantly evangelizing to me, I would go insane. It seems kind of two-sided to me for people to say, on one hand, that we don't want preached to, and then, on the other hand, to say that they're not trying hard enough to save us. I don't know if the same people say both things or not, but I don't say that. There's no excuse for me. I heard it all my life and still gave it up. The "it's okay to be a bible-thumper" and what followed it, though, were also stupid. I forgot he had said that until I saw the video a second time. I also didn't like how the whole thing was presented: black and white, somber music, with ATHEIST in capital letters at the end of the video. It seemed to perpetuate the stereotype that we're depressing, bitter people. The more I think about this video, the more messed up it is, TBH.

I forgot to post the link;

I just saw a YouTube video called Interview with an Atheist. In a nutshell, he said that most xians aren't trying hard enough and they don't take hell seriously enough. He also said something that I hear a lot on this site: that xians don't try hard enough to save our "souls" from hell. I kind of agree, but I don't them to try to save my soul. I don't want to keep being pestered into being a xian. I already have to hear enough of it in passing. If I had someone who was constantly evangelizing to me, I would go insane. It seems kind of two-sided to me for people to say, on one hand, that we don't want preached to, and then, on the other hand, to say that they're not trying hard enough to save us. I don't know if the same people say both things or not, but I don't say that. There's no excuse for me. I heard it all my life and still gave it up. I agree with everything else he said, it was just that one thing that stood out to me.

I'm confused------who is saying this, the atheist, or the interviewer? Can you post a link to the video?

The interviewer doesn't say anything until the very end of the video. He asks the interviewee if he's an atheist and he says yes. Everything else that's said is said by the atheist.

If you listen closely to what the 'atheist' is saying you will find him to be a douchebag and not an atheist in spite of what he says. He admires those who believe in their religion. That does not sound like an atheist to me but an agnostic that is uncertain of what he himself really believes. I listened to the 'interview' several times and he comes across as a covert Christian, not an atheist.

I just watched the video. If that fucker is an atheist, I'm an admiral in the Arizona Coast Guard. NO non believer would ever spout that drivel. He is a preacher, who claims to be an atheist so he can use us as "see, I'm the devil, and even I know how effective evangelizing can be". Not once does he say he doesn't believe in God, heaven or Hell or any of the rest of it. He actually praises it all and exhorts Xtians to go out and spread the word. Hardly likely to come from anyone who is an atheist. And then all the interviewer can say is "And you're an atheist?" Kind of like supplying an enemy soldier with fresh ammunition so he can shoot at you.

Looks like just more liars for Jeebus to me. Hell's bells what schlock.

I agree that I was sitting there the whole time thinking, There's no way this guy's an atheist. I do agree, though, that there are a lot of hypocritical xians who cherry pick the bible and don't live the way Jesus would've wanted them to. That's the only thing I agree with and that's mostly what he talked about, IIRC. I also agree that if you believe in the doctrine of hell, then you better make damn sure that you take it seriously. I heard some woman yesterday talking about this one guy who was a "junkie" and she said that she didn't trust him because he wasn't saved. WTF is that? So you're going to just let him burn and not even care? I can understand refraining when someone says to please stop evangelizing, and not shoving it down the person's throat, but this I'm not going to associate with people who aren't saved thing is total BS. What's worse is when they treat atheists like pariahs because we're not "saved". I don't respect or revere xianity. Far from it: I hate everything about it. I just think that if you're going to believe in it, you've got to take it seriously. This "not trying enough to save our souls" thing, though? No way. Hell, I think they're trying too hard. I'm glad, though, to see that no one agrees with what this guy said about it. That's a relief.

ETA: Okay, I know I've edited this post beyond belief but I just want to clarify, after watching the video again, that I don't agree with what this guy says about "there's nothing wrong with being a bible-thumper". That's when I started going, There's no way that this guy can be an atheist. I thought that part was just stupid. The rest of it was mostly just stupidity, too. I'm not sure that this guy knows much about the doctrine of hell and how it relates to the bible. He seemed like he believed that there really was a hell and a heaven. When you read what I said above, take into account that I'm saying that if people believe that there is a hell, they should take it seriously. There is no hell, and atheists who have read the bible have no factual reason to believe in a hell, so this guy is either not an atheist or is a very misinformed atheist.

Does anyone know anything about this video? I read in the comments that it was a fraud and that the guy's comments were purposely taken out of context, which wouldn't surprise me, but I can't find any information about the origins of this video. I'm thinking about posting it elsewhere on the site in a different thread and asking about it.

Does anyone know anything about this video? I read in the comments that it was a fraud and that the guy's comments were purposely taken out of context, which wouldn't surprise me, but I can't find any information about the origins of this video. I'm thinking about posting it elsewhere on the site in a different thread and asking about it.

I would be willing to bet it was an amateurish attempt to yet again use atheists as straw-men. Just not in the way most of us are used to seeing. The problem with a site like Youtube is that anyone can post anything, and there are no consequences for it. Religion is given a free pass. They can say any damned stupid thing they want and get away with it. I mean look at it; the guy spends the entire tape praising the Christian message, and then in the last three seconds of the tape------"yes, I'm an atheist". How could anyone believe that shit unless they already wanted to?

I found the whole title of the thing disingenuous. Interview with an Atheist? What interview? In a real interview two people trade questions and answers. In this piece of shit you have one guy who makes a 4 minute long statement about how great Christian evangelizing is, and then is asked one very loaded question right at the end of the piece.

This thing is a fraud, and I think it's pretty obvious it's just another preaching tool some evangelical amateur came up with to spread the word on Youtube.

I just saw a YouTube video called Interview with an Atheist. In a nutshell, he said that most xians aren't trying hard enough and they don't take hell seriously enough. He also said something that I hear a lot on this site: that xians don't try hard enough to save our "souls" from hell. I kind of agree, but I don't them to try to save my soul. I don't want to keep being pestered into being a xian. I already have to hear enough of it in passing. If I had someone who was constantly evangelizing to me, I would go insane. It seems kind of two-sided to me for people to say, on one hand, that we don't want preached to, and then, on the other hand, to say that they're not trying hard enough to save us.
This reminds me of a video Penn uploaded to youtube awhile back where he was talking about a xtian that gave him a bible that was nice to him and how he said that you have to really hate someone to not want to try and save them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHS8adO3hM Now all the xtians in Sunday school class at church are claiming this is somehow proof that the seeds of faith have been planted in him and that he's going to convert to Jesus any day now and this video is proof that xtians should be out there trying to save the poor atheists that have been hurt by phony Christians.

Yes, it does sound like he is posing as an atheist to bolster an attempt to spur xians to proselytize more.

You notice, too, how he represented xianity as the evangelical, "born again" kind, as though that were the only version of the cult, or the one with the "correct" interpretation of the babble.

I agree that for xians of most sects (i.e., those whose doctrine applies Matthew 28:19 to individual xians), it is inconsistent with their supposed beliefs not to make pests of themselves as obsessively as the worst nutjobs out there (I guess they should also part with all of their possessions and live in poverty, but there ya go). However, I am elated that most of them don't completely make it their life's mission and number one priority to save me from their imaginary hell (the degree of effort put in to evangelizing by the xian community is bad enough already). Any sane non-xian would be glad.