Superstitious .....still?

Fuego

Last night as I prepared for bed, I noticed a rash on my feet. Today at work, I noticed that it was all over my arms and everywhere else. I sped to the doctor, or rather TRIED to speed to the doctor and every one driving today went 15 miles per hour (24 KPH for the rest of the world). If I got out from behind a slow moving transport truck, the lane I would go into slowed down to a stop while the lane I had been in sped up. Mind you, this is on the freeway where we should have been going 60 MPH (97KPH). So here I am starting to wonder if I've pissed off the deity by my recent writings against his evil beasty self. I get to the clinic and they tell me I can wait 5 hours to see a doctor, but that they don't take walk-ins. I get back in my car and drive to the hospital, trapped again behind people that want to drive half or less than the speed limit, almost like they take pride in their slowness, and mock me if I pass them only to be stuck behind another one. All the way I'm spiting venom at any potential deity and saying "If this is some kind of curse, I hate you and I hate the twits that sent it my way." But it is really making me wonder.

I get to the hospital and they tell me... they don't take walk-ins unless it is an emergency. I said I don't know if it is an emergency, I need to see a doctor to TELL ME if it is an emergency. Well, we don't do it that way... Aghast, I drive all the way across town to my regular doctor's office. All the way, it is slow, like the whole freaking universe is conspiring to keep me from getting any help. I eventually arrive and tell them what I need. Eventually I convince them to allow me to see a nurse. Criminy! It shouldn't be that difficult. This day made my superstition flare up big time. But while waiting in the nurse's office, I calmed myself and started thinking more rationally.

The nurse said the rash was really cool, because she didn't know what the heck was causing it. At least she was honestly intrigued from a science point of view. She got a doctor to look at it, and he puzzled over it for some time, asking questions about medicines and such. Eventually he decided it was just the aftermath of a viral attack and should fade in a few days. I looked this concept up on the web and sure enough, this is common in childhood viral attacks. You get a fever for a day or two, then feel much better and a rash breaks out, then fades in a few days. At least it isn't contagious anymore...

But the whole episode made me ponder why I reacted the way I did emotionally, and the nagging doubts about curses and such. Looking back over it all, I see how easy it is to blow things out of proportion, and remembered how much I did the same when I was a believer. I thought the devil did all kinds of things, and that curses and blessings actually did something. Much of the church operates this way daily. I have a new found appreciation for science and rational thinking.

Still would like to crush those idiot drivers under the tracks of a tank though.

I think your reaction was normal enough. We have a natural aversion to blemishes on the skin and the added benefit of slow traffic and an over all bad day, reinforces the idea of being 'cursed' and 'unclean.'

Guest Marty

I make fun of many superstitions people have (and there are a lot in the theatre), yet I have my own rituals that I must do before every show. If for some reason the order or method of what I do gets disrupted, I get very nervous and worried until the show is over. If I get a chance to start over, I will, because if I don't I feel the show will go bad audio-wise. Has it ever? A few times, but only because I didn't catch something simple that I would have if I had done things right.

I don't blame a god for when things go wrong, but I still have my own superstitious rituals that HAVE to be done a certain way. Sometimes it bothers me that I can't be more reasonable, but hey, what you gona do?

:)

Still follow old sports rituals, and in the world of computers you never move the chicken-bones in the server room. And the Cubs are definitely cursed (mostly by their own inherent suck, but still), which makes me grin as a Cards fan.

At the same time I'm the kind of guy who will dance under a ladder, and say "I'm a leaf on the wind" after some particularly difficult driving.

I love the nurse's reply: "Wow, that rash is SO COOL!" LOL

Did you slap her?

That reminds me of the time when I was just out of HS working on the freight crew of a local grocery store. We used to seriously work until our hands bled and I used to go home with white streaks on my face from dried sweat. Anyway, I was used to it and it was no big deal. (ya gotta love capitalism and being at the bottom of the barrel)

One night I had an accident and split my forehead open. If you don't know, head cuts bleed like a mother. I had blood all down my chest and pants. I was rushed to emergency and the attending nurse wasn't fazed by the bleeding gash in my head but I thought she would break down into tears over my hands. My hands didn't even hurt.

Now after years at a desk job that old job would probably kill me. :D

My dad got a big kick out of telling everyone he beat me when I walked around for a few days with 17 stitches and a forehead that looked like there was a boiled egg packed under the skin.

Did you slap her?

I thought it was funny actually. I felt a bit like a science project and I said "I'm a mutant!" and she tried to console me.

Did you slap her?

I thought it was funny actually. I felt a bit like a science project and I said "I'm a mutant!" and she tried to console me.

Did you tell her your super power was spreading rashes? :P

I can be a new X-Man, "Rash". I make quick, angry decisions and blend in with red background colors. Hah Ha!