Goodbye Jesus

Does Satan Exist?

PandaPirate

According to PZ Myers:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/03..._all_morons.php

Who knows? Maybe they're right. They're planning a program for "Nightline" (which, I seem to recall, at least used to be a pretty good news program) which will probably get them some decent ratings.

They're going to have a debate on the existence of Satan.

Yeah, you heard that right…on a so-called news program. But it gets worse! They have 4 people coming on to yell at each other.

On the "Satan exists!" side, they have Pastor Mark Driscoll, head of a megachurch in Seattle, and Annie Lobert, former prostitute and founder of a group called Hookers for Jesus. Sensationalism is already rearing its gaudy head, you can tell.

Even worse, the "Satan does not exist!" side is a joke. It consists of Bishop Carlton Pearson, who doesn't accept the doctrine of hell but is a Christian, and…unbelievably…Deepak Chopra. Not an atheist or skeptic among them, just hardcore believers in woo vs. fluffy believers in woo.

Don't tune in. It will be a complete waste of time.

ELMISMODEMONIO.jpg

HELL NO!

Don't tune in. It will be a complete waste of time.[/i][/b]

Definitely a waste of time. What helped me discard the idea of Satan and demons, is pondering on the whole idea of

why if God is all powerful, what pray tell does "he" need servants for? The idea of transcendence takes care of the idea of "him" wanting worshippers, since a being capable of of making reality whatever suits it's fancy isn't going to care if it's worshipped or not.

Now supposing an all powerful "God" did create angels to serve and or worship it. If, as the christians say, being

in the presence of "God" is the ultimate bliss, why would anyone want to rebel? Further, in the case of the "War in

Heaven", Lucifer would have to be INSANE, to try to overthrow a being who could erase him and all of his followers

with less than a thought.

So , for me, that pretty much got rid of the idea of a "devil" for me. (Though I have to admit, I'm still afraid to read

or watch anything that has too much suggestion of black magic , or mention of satan worship.I need to hammer that out of me. It's all bullshit mythology.)

ELMISMODEMONIO.jpg

HELL NO!

You mean, and to quote the Bloodhound Gang:

Heavens no. Hell Yeah!

Well, obviously, the answer to the question of "Does Satan exist?" is...

NO!

I won't tune in or drop out or Hang Ten or plug in or... whatever. :)

Satan exists and his name is Religion.

Isn't this a bit like debating whether or not Santa Claus gives lumps of coal to bad kids? And why are there no skeptics being interviewed?

I may have it wrong (and correct me if I do) but in Judaism, Satan is merely god's agent, has no free will and can only do as god orders. Judaism also has no problem with god and evil. He created evil and says so. Why does Christianity have such an issue with god creating evil? It is how we get to have free will and choice. It seems they insist that god created everything except evil and all the blame goes to Satan. Yet, god created Satan and Satan had free will and chose evil. Round and round.... what is the disconnect that Christianity has with god creating evil as He explicitly says so in Isaiah 45: I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

Satan does exist! He just served 8 years as the Vice President of the United States!

;)

Satan does exist! He just served 8 years as the Vice President of the United States!

;)

That must be why he's the VICE president. :lmao:

I may have it wrong (and correct me if I do) but in Judaism, Satan is merely god's agent, has no free will and can only do as god orders. Judaism also has no problem with god and evil. He created evil and says so. Why does Christianity have such an issue with god creating evil? It is how we get to have free will and choice. It seems they insist that god created everything except evil and all the blame goes to Satan. Yet, god created Satan and Satan had free will and chose evil. Round and round.... what is the disconnect that Christianity has with god creating evil as He explicitly says so in Isaiah 45: I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

Christians don't like a lot of the verses that contradict their notion of what God is like. They prefer the writings of the Apostles who said "God is light. In him there is no darkness at all." Anything contrary is shelved mentally so they don't have to deal with it.