Goodbye Jesus

What Pulled You Away From Christianity?

wolfwing

The bible. And the realization that millions of people who are sincerely seeking to understand god are coming up with drastically different answers.

What pulled me away? Smutty pictures, then mental breakdown. The rational reasoning came afterwards.

One day I paused and asked if I actually believed in Jesus Christ and found that the honest answer was no and had been for at least ten years.

Same here. Before I made a conscious effort to de-convert, I knew that my beliefs didn't match those taught by xtianity. And yet, I spent at least two years denying my disbelief, knowing the entire time that I was only going to leave the faith later on. Then again, I was still living in my parent's house at the time, and the social pressure for me to remain was much greater back then.

I've been into politcis and current events and shit since, like, age 10. I went neo-con fundie for a while, then at 13 decided gay people weren't horrible, abortion might not be so bad after all, etc. etc. etc. I've never read the bible the whole way through so most of my "beliefs" were mainly parroting some blowhard fundies I knew. I began to think for my self.

Then at 14 I read the da Vinci code... yeah, it's historically innaccurate, but I found Dan Brown's version of paganism much more palatable than Christianity, and at that point I really realized I didn't know a damn thing about my own religion! So I looked into the history of Christianity... Nicene Creed anyone? Jesus' divinity was fucking VOTED ON?! That and the Inquisition and Crusades and all of the other bullshit the Church has done... big fucking disappointment. So I became an agnostic, then Wiccan, back to agnostic, then atheist, then Wiccan again, then atheist, now I'm some sort of weird pagan-atheist.

Like someone else said, the origins of Scripture, such as borrowed mythical stories. When I found out there were other "man-god born of virgin" stories that predated Christ, that was it.

I've been into politcis and current events and shit since, like, age 10. I went neo-con fundie for a while, then at 13 decided gay people weren't horrible, abortion might not be so bad after all, etc. etc. etc. I've never read the bible the whole way through so most of my "beliefs" were mainly parroting some blowhard fundies I knew. I began to think for my self.

Then at 14 I read the da Vinci code... yeah, it's historically innaccurate, but I found Dan Brown's version of paganism much more palatable than Christianity, and at that point I really realized I didn't know a damn thing about my own religion! So I looked into the history of Christianity... Nicene Creed anyone? Jesus' divinity was fucking VOTED ON?! That and the Inquisition and Crusades and all of the other bullshit the Church has done... big fucking disappointment. So I became an agnostic, then Wiccan, back to agnostic, then atheist, then Wiccan again, then atheist, now I'm some sort of weird pagan-atheist.

Pat yourself on the back for escaping the hook at such an early age. They didn't get me until I was 15 -- one year after the age that you broke free -- and I didn't escape until I was 28! You've got the rest of your youth to look forward to, Jesus-free, even if your home town sucks.