Goodbye Jesus

Which Is Worse, Old Or New Testament?

cslewissucks

I think they're different gods entirely. I am of the conclusions that the Hebrews were polytheistic when they emerged as a tribe out of the Canaanites. (Israel Finklestein's "The Bible Unearthed" touches on this from the archaeological evidence.) YHWH was the fertility god of the Canaanites and, tada! Guess who his goddess was?? That's right, none other than Aherah of those accursed poles the Jews were always seeking to destroy.
Yes, I read very similar things. It's also theorized that YHWH was a war-god whose father was El, and whose brother, among others was Baal. It's said that Asherah was El's consort, and/or YHWH's, perhaps when they began to integrate the religions of the Canaanites and the Israelites.

One interesting thing to note from this discussion is the mechanism by which gods tend to evolve. Even 2000 years ago it is plain to see that the inventors of the God of the NT had outgrown the monster god of the OT, softened him up considerably. Still quite barbaric, but not nearly as hideous as Yawheh of past.

You see this today in most churches. The God that they preach and worship hardly even resembles the Bible God anymore to them, because he EVOLVED through them and the times. In fact, a considerable portion of the congregation probably has no idea who they are really worshipping week after week.

I agree there was evolution happening with people and their god. Still, 2000 years ago the people and their god was primitive. Where are the bible verses about equality, human rights? There could have been at least one chapter dealing with child abuse. Wife beating has always been a social problem all throughout the world, yet the bible is silent on the subject. I'm sure most of us see this religion as quite primitive, not worthy of the scientific age we live in.

The god character is still evolving. God is now more liberalized and more accepting of women and deformed children.

Didn't the Cathars of medieval France follow something like Marcian's teachings? Lord knows they paid dearly for it.