Goodbye Jesus

Hi This Is Laura From "no Longer Quivering"

Guest decamom

Guest decamom

My friend Vyckie told me that I needed to come over here and check out this blog. I am really excited to read the EX testimonies. It's great to know there are others out there who have left the christian mindset behind.

Vyckie just posted a letter she wrote shortly after she realized she didn't believe any of it anymore. Any body here remember feeling this way? http://2spb.blogspot.com/

I look forward to participating in this forum. It's a great place to be!

Laura

Goodbye Jesus

Laura

Welcome! I'm so glad you and Vyckie are here! I've been reading the blog with great interest! I am a former rlds (small mormon sect), turned christian. Also a homeschool mom of 20 years with 6 great kids (3 grown now). We implemented many stringent, strict parenting philosophies over the first 10-15 years, slowly coming away from it as our kids grew. It's hard to write all this in just a quick post, but I do understand some of the struggle. I worked for years at being a "submissive wife." Honestly, this past year as I have deconverted, I just feel so exhilirated to be creating ME! I am coming more into myself, not tolerating being treated like a child, I even got a p.t. job just so I could get a laptop! It has been my connection to the outside world, so to speak. I also sought out the help of a secular psychologist. He has helped me navigate through some of the strong emotions that erupt every so often. Anger, loss, sadness, etc. I am so glad you are going "public" with your testimonies. I am sure there are other women who will need that life saver thrown to them! Glad to have you here!

As I was re-reading that letter which I wrote shortly after I realized that I no longer believe in God ~ I thought it was interesting that to my mind at the time, I had escaped into a harsh, scary world full of evil creatures eager to devour me ~ and I was terrified that if I brought my children along with me, I'd be essentially "throwing them to the wolves."

As it turns out, "the World" is not such a horrible, frightening place as I imagined. Amazing.

Vyckie

No Longer Quivering

Welcome aboard!

Of course, I'm not sure that the world isn't a scary place. In my view it is. The wonderful about atheism is that it opens you up to the possibility of it being scary, of there not being pre-defined answers. You are truly taking risks only when you are working without a net. That can be scary, but the freedom is worth it.

Welcome, Laura. It's... being out of religion is something you get used to a day at a time for a while, and sometimes it will be frightening. It's more freeing, though.

Let us know if there's something we can offer perspective on. I got out in my very early 20s, so obviously I missed a lot of the bad experiences adulthood in a cult can offer.

Welcome, Laura! It is good to see you here.

Welcome aboard!

Of course, I'm not sure that the world isn't a scary place. In my view it is. The wonderful about atheism is that it opens you up to the possibility of it being scary, of there not being pre-defined answers. You are truly taking risks only when you are working without a net. That can be scary, but the freedom is worth it.

If their experience was anything like mine, I think they meant that people in the world are generally decent people as opposed to the pure evil that many evangelical cults preach.

When you're deep inside the christian mindset, there is this mentality that the world is pure evil and its only Jesus in us that keeps it all at bay.

Then you get out of the circle and realize that in general people are good. They have their ups and downs, their good and bad, but they arent Evil.

Mind control at its finest.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

I am glad you got out from Evangelicalism, even though I was never in it.

From what I know about it, it's got some serious issues with emotional smothering.

That can suck hardcore.

Welcome to the forums, Laura.

Since this is the "Testimonies" forum, we'll hope to see you expand on your story here.