Goodbye Jesus

Why Didn't Peter Quote The Great Commission?

oddbird1963

After Mriana's wonderful post entitled It Makes No sense, I followed the hyperlink to Robert M. Price's website, found the book reference entitled "Jesus Is Dead," skipped to Amazon where I read the look inside portion of the book.

There it was on page 6. In Acts chapter 10 and 11 Peter is called on the carpet by the heads of the church in Jerusalem for taking the gospel to Cornelius and his household of Gentiles. This tale is an elaborate account of a heavenly vision visited upon Peter to justify his going to the house of unclean Gentiles and preaching to them.

But, why didn't Peter just say, "Dude! Jesus said "Go and make disciples of all nations . . . ?" I don't think he could have forgotten, that was just before Jesus ascended into heaven. Not something that happens every day. A resurrection doesn't happen every day either.

How do you harmonize the two? You don't. Conclusion: Jesus never spoke the words. It was made up by the church. Problem is, I never even asked the question.

(Hitting forehead with palm of hand repeatedly.) Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! :Doh: I can never call myself an intelligent person again. Why didn't I see it? Why didn't the question trouble me back when I was in that seminary school? DOH! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! :Doh:

Here is a new definition of religion: Religion is what happens to you (or you let happen to you) that keeps you from reaching conclusions that you would otherwise reach if the issue wasn't, you know, religious.

Now I must wonder, is the damage irreparable? Am I always going to be a retard?

Excuse me while I get the dust pan and scoop up what remains of my self esteem.

Meh. Nobody's perfect.

I didn't actually work out until I was 14 why the sun appears to rise over the horizon in the mornings.

Get in line, rook.

I remember once thinking long and hard about how to fill something with vacuum by using containers filled with vacuum. It. Took me. A while to realize that you couldn't add vacuum to vacuum and get more vacuum.

I don't remember how old I was, but certainly old enough to add zero and zero with ease.

Anyway, if it had occurred to you, you probably would have been told, or figured on your own, that Paul was using it as a "teaching moment" or something similar. There's an answer for everything in religion.

Anyone who has read the first two books of Genesis or any of Revelations without a hearty WTF is due a palm to the forehead. It never fails to amaze me what I once believed, and the majority still do.

I guess it goes to show that you don't need to be a Christian or other type of theist to become humble. Sometimes just looking back on your old self and what you once believed in can be humbling. No "Holy Spirit" required.

Eh, you're leaps and bounds ahead of most US citizens.

You *were* in seminary school. So that was a waste of time. But now you know not to go there again, right?

You *were* in seminary school. So that was a waste of time. But now you know not to go there again, right?

Actually, I live less than three miles from the old seminary school. Haven't stepped foot on it in years. Haven't heard from them either, except when they want to raise money for some building project.

"Wasted time. . ." That reminds me of a song!

Hey! I went to Bible college, taught the Bible, was a pastor, etc ... and I didn't connect the dots until I read this post! You're right! Why didn't Peter refer to the Great Commission to convince the counsel at Jerusalem? Great point! And why didn't the counsel themselves realize this? Sitting on the counsel was James, the supposed brother of Jesus. You would think that this "holy" counsel would know what Jesus had said, right?

Well that's just the thing isn't it? Nobody EVER really knows what "jesus" said. Not until the 2nd half of the 2nd century. Then people start to agree on what their beloved god-man had to say. Hell, they barely knew who or what this "jesus" even was supposed to be (god, man, angel, god-man) or what he may have actually did or when. The "twelve" sure as shit have no clue. They're dumb as posts. The ass(es) he rode in on have more of a clue.

mwc

• Super Moderator

What? :o

You mean parts of the Bible are made up????

Hey! I went to Bible college, taught the Bible, was a pastor, etc ... and I didn't connect the dots until I read this post! You're right! Why didn't Peter refer to the Great Commission to convince the counsel at Jerusalem? Great point! And why didn't the counsel themselves realize this? Sitting on the counsel was James, the supposed brother of Jesus. You would think that this "holy" counsel would know what Jesus had said, right?

Actually, Robert M. Price connected the dots for me in the book "Jesus is Dead." I just got to experience the light-bulb flickering on weakly.

I never thought about that why he never mentioned that.

I see your point tho I think we all have moments where we think man I used to believe this crap lol

Of course you couldn't see it while you was a christian you can't see outside the box till you get outside of it.

Your intelligent for looking outside of it.

It's like when someone hears about bad things about ex cultists in a cult then decides to talk to them out of couriosity and realise it's all bullshit.

Then you read the cult material and you think what the fuck...

Atleast it was that way for me anyway.

willybilly30 - that's the craziest Avatar I have ever seen! Love it!

thanks