Goodbye Jesus

Howdy

Trout XIII

I have a theory about it, I think that if God exists, He can communicate with anyone He so chooses. Perhaps He reveals Himself only to those He wants to?

Such a god would be an asshole, unworthy of consideration.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trout XIII

• Ouroboros

• Zaramon

• godsfavoritecolor

And how exactly have you come to the conclusion that any assertion that god exists is a fairy tale?

Total lack of any credible evidence for a god.

You haven't seen evidence for X ergo X = fairy tale?

Not good logic there, gfc.

I have a theory about it, I think that if God exists, He can communicate with anyone He so chooses. Perhaps He reveals Himself only to those He wants to?

Why? His game, His rules.

Farbeit from me to label, I hate them, but Trout sounds like a Calvinist. Or perhaps, a Hebrew priest who has been inside the Holy of Holys. Egads.

This god who communicates with whom it chooses sounds a little frightened or shy. My god, the mighty (perhaps Satanic as Trout has suggested) is friendly enough to commune with anyone who might need a tissue. That is indeed a beneficial revelation.

Is Trout's god a benevolent, shy being that only communicates with Trout? Or perhaps just a limited god, like a bacteria living in his ear?

These are serious issues. How does one come to the conclusion that a god is interacting with them in the first place?

For me, it was certainly the tissue popping up for my convenience and pleasure. Simple enough.

Enlighten us, Kilgore Trout!

Trout, don't get us wrong, this isn't Atheists.com. It's ex-christian.net.

Only the most obstinent person would claim they absolutely know anything doesn't exist because there's no way to know everything everywhere all the time.

That being said, if you are referring to the Christian God, then there are certain qualities and actions attributed to him that can be debated and in my experience fails the test of proof.

:thanks:

• Super Moderator

Margaret got new curtains.

I hope you won’t let the difficulty of it keep you from trying.

Perhaps God doesn't delegate the revelation of Himself to others. He reveals Himself in a way that's clear to the object, yet not clear enough to be explained exhaustively?

Danny rolled down the hill on his bike.

And how exactly have you come to the conclusion that any assertion that god exists is a fairy tale?

Fairy tale equals fictional. You haven’t demonstrated any logical skills.

Farbeit from me to label, I hate them, but Trout sounds like a Calvinist. Or perhaps, a Hebrew priest who has been inside the Holy of Holys. Egads.

This god who communicates with whom it chooses sounds a little frightened or shy. My god, the mighty (perhaps Satanic as Trout has suggested) is friendly enough to commune with anyone who might need a tissue. That is indeed a beneficial revelation.

Is Trout's god a benevolent, shy being that only communicates with Trout? Or perhaps just a limited god, like a bacteria living in his ear?

These are serious issues. How does one come to the conclusion that a god is interacting with them in the first place?

For me, it was certainly the tissue popping up for my convenience and pleasure. Simple enough.

Enlighten us, Kilgore Trout!

Well, those are very good questions.

1) If God is all-powerful, He would certainly be able to communicate with an individual, making His existence very clear to them.

2) If God is all powerful He could appear in the sky for all to see.

I think He communicates via 1.

Perhaps God doesn't delegate the revelation of Himself to others. He reveals Himself in a way that's clear to the object, yet not clear enough to be explained exhaustively?

You had some sort of experience, right? I'm not asking you to reveal God to me. I think that might be asking too much. I was only curious about the experience you had. Can't you describe it?

Definition of asshole.

Fairy tale equals fictional. You haven’t demonstrated any logical skills.

Fairy tale = fiction, I'll agree with that.

However what you're saying is: I haven't seen evidence for X therefore X = fairy tale.

You aren't thinking correctly.

You had some sort of experience, right? I'm not asking you to reveal God to me. I think that might be asking too much. I was only curious about the experience you had. Can't you describe it?

Not exhaustively.

He made His existence clear to me in my mind.

However what you're saying is: I haven't seen evidence for X therefore X = fairy tale.

Or to rephrase, lack of evidence for the existence of X implies X does not exist. nonexistence = fictional = fairy tale

Not exhaustively.

I would be satisfied with only a cursory description of your experience.

Okay, that’s fine. But I hope you’ll understand that I can’t accept that as a basis for my own belief.

I hope you won’t let the difficulty of it keep you from trying.

On the other hand perhaps you had a bit of bad gravy, or a mushroom from New Mexico in your soup.

However, if some God revealed itself to you, what is that to me?

Some God hasn't revealed itself to me. Therefore some God must not want me to believe it exists. Therefore I don't believe some God exists.

What? Again?

Ah yes, the old Mafia Don in the sky God. I don't like him. He can just kiss my sweet sweaty patutie. And if God don't like it, God ought to have made me different.

Err... Unfortunately, if you're right, then the same holds true for the existence of a being that's able to destroy your god. Now, the absence of evidence doesn't absolutely mean that your god is not there, but if every assertion you can make regarding the existence of god can be equally applied to other constructs, and you fail to believe in the existence of even one of those constructs, even those that flatly contradict your god (such as the aforementioned god-destroyer), then in all likelihood, your god isn't real either.

That being said, depending on which set of beliefs you hold about your god (another blow to your god is the fact that it's next to impossible to get a consistent set of characteristics), there are a number of positive assertions that can be made with regard to said god's non-existence. If you believe in hell, and you believe that god is not only benevolent, but omni-benevolent, then your god doesn't exist, because there's simply no way a place like hell could exist at the same time as an all-good god who built the place.

If you don't believe in hell, but believe that god is all-powerful, and all-good, then god doesn't exist, because a god capable of doing anything would not allow such evil as is present in our world, if he were all-good. Of course, an amoral or immoral god could exist that might allow it, but I'm pretty sure that is not what you believe.

Incidentally, I was watching Moral Orel, and the Reverend happened to say the most sensible thing a christian ever said about how god operates. Nevermind that Moral Orel is a stinging indictment of all organized religion, Christianity in particular. Now, Orel was sent to talk to the reverend after yet again misinterpreting how he should act on gods will, probably resulting in someone getting maimed or killed, and at some point, Orel asks the reverend "but isn't everything god does good?" To which the rev. replies "Goodness no! Everything he does is right, but those are two completely different things!" Just wanted to throw that out there.

Well, those are very good questions.

1) If God is all-powerful, He would certainly be able to communicate with an individual, making His existence very clear to them.

2) If God is all powerful He could appear in the sky for all to see.

I think He communicates via 1.

And my turds are green, therefore the invisible little green man that lives in my bath tub is real.

So what's the deal? Didn't God stop by for coffee this morning? Is that what is bothering you?

Get used to it, or let your gravy rot more often.

Bad florduh! No Labels!! No Labels!!!!

I labeled him anyway...

Methinks this could be Troy in new troll costume.

That's an interesting theory, because it would mean that God makes the choice if a person will get enough belief in him or not, and hence also if they're going to Heaven or Hell. In other words, he picks his favorites, and it's not an equal opportunity for all of us to get a clear picture and understanding of God. It's up to him if you or I get enough evidence to believe. Can you really love or worship such a God?

The same way as schizophrenic people hear voices? Or is it just a regular delusion? What drugs were you on while you had this experience? Where you under any influence or intoxication?

Some God hasn't revealed itself to me. Therefore some God must not want me to believe it exists. Therefore I don't believe some God exists.

Therefore you are obeying God's will for you.

Therefore you are righteous and correct in your belief.

Therefore Trout have no business trying to disobey God's will for you by trying to convince you otherwise using his own personal experience as evidence.

In other words, Trout is disobedient and rebellious against God, while you are not. So which one of you is more likely to go to Heaven? I would say Chef.