• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trout XIII

• Ouroboros

• Zaramon

• godsfavoritecolor

What did any of that have to do with the fact that Bible God chooses people?? I pointed out the obvious, which isn't crap, but obvious. The Bible God choses people. What does that have to do with your post?? It doesn't relate. Even if we were just speaking in general, it still wouldn't apply; as there are plenty of people that claim that God communicates with them, and they are clinically fine. I understand if you want to vent, but calling an obvious fact ''crap'' makes you look a little immature, as it isn't really crap. It's just not your cup of tea :grin:

Well, a couple of things...

First, to get the use of the word "crap" out of the way... The use of the word itself was perhaps inflammatory. It's still one word that accurately reflects my opinion on the matter, but "nonsense," "absurd," or "preposterous" could have been used interchangeably. If your beef was with my brashly tossing out the word "crap," then I'm sorry for that, but if you would have considered the use of the word preposterous equally offensive, then I do not apologize at all for that, because preposterous is exactly what I was calling the notion, and I'll go on from here to discuss that:

I assume that you're referring to the bible god as someone who actually exists, or at least as someone you believe exists--a literal, specific being. You've been around this board long enough to be well aware of the numerous arguments that this particular being, the bible god, does not exist, and I'm sure you know my position on that: that there is not only no evidence that he does exist, but that the bible blows it as far as presenting even a feeble a case that he may exist. Of course the proposition that a being that does not exist could choose people to communicate with is absurd. On the other hand, if you were making a case that there are stories in the bible that support the notion that the bible god chooses people to communicate with (even if he is a fictional being), then I fully agree with you, but I seriously doubt that is what you were saying.

Understand that I did not call the many people who harbor the belief that some god or another personally communicates with them clinically mentally ill (perhaps they are even the majority of the world's population, or at least a very sizable minority). Nor did I accuse my mother or anyone else who had some vision or hallucination of the god they believe in of being schizophrenic, although I'm sure they would if they heard voices on a regular basis.

Keep in mind my conclusion: the gist of what I tried to say is that many people feel this connection with a god and believe that he, she, it, or they have communicated with them in some way. Some small minority of them see jesus. Most attribute self talk to their god or attribute happenstance, or their reflections on their religious texts as a message from their god. Whose connection, with which god, under which version (sect) of the god, delivered in what manner, are we to accept as a bona fide communication from from god as opposed to a self delusion? My mother's? Trout's? Joseph Smith's? George W. Bush's? Jim Jones'? Pat Robertson's? The pope's? The bible god could not have spoken to all of them--some of their reports are mutually exclusive, so some of them have to be delusional. Which one(s) did god speak to and which ones were delusional? If you have an answer to that, how can you support it? I had hoped my post did sort of tie into this, and if not, I hope this helps clarify--I think it DOES relate.

That the bible god chooses to communicate with some people is not at all obvious to me, and if you really think it is then you will have to enlighten me with a compelling argument as to why it is true. In the mean time, I will indeed call it nonsense.

..."nonsense," "absurd," or "preposterous" could have been used interchangeably.

Thinking about it, I would also call it anything from "not generally healthy for the individual or society" to "poison" depending on what you think your god is telling you. Hearing from god certainly offloads the burden of considering whether one's own "morals" are really moral.

People feeling as though God is giving them signs is as factual in our world as people that swear they feel like someone at school is picking on them. The feeling from the person that someone is picking on them is real and genuine, yet, nobody may be actually picking on them; same to a person that feels that God is communicating to them. Is is factual in the sense of it is a feeling from the person that stated the claim.
There are children who feel they're really writing a letter to Santa Claus too but that doesn't mean Santa Claus is real, does it? Just because someone feels God is communicating to them doesn't mean he actually is and you still have yet to present evidence that you know for a fact God chooses who to reveal himself to or that he even exists. You've been to ex-c for months now and have yet to provide any proof at all. Surely that should tell you something? And again, if God just cherry picks who he reveals to yet demands everyone else to accept his follower's claims by faith, doesn't that make God an asshole and why the hell should any sane person worship an asshole like that?

Even if we were just speaking in general, it still wouldn't apply; as there are plenty of people that claim that God communicates with them, and they are clinically fine.
And there are plenty of people who claim God told them to murder their babies, too. What's your point?

• 1 month later...
1) If God is all-powerful, He would certainly be able to communicate with an individual, making His existence very clear to them.

2) If God is all powerful He could appear in the sky for all to see.

I think He communicates via 1.

So, anyone with whom he chooses to not communicate does not hear "the message" and is therefore condemned to eternal torment.

Babblegawd is an asshole.

I hope you won’t let the difficulty of it keep you from trying.

Perhaps God doesn't delegate the revelation of Himself to others. He reveals Himself in a way that's clear to the object, yet not clear enough to be explained exhaustively?

And perhaps god was something in my toilet and died when I flushed it?