Goodbye Jesus

Church Of The Beyond

Guest RougeWolf22

• Super Moderator
I'm hoping hear more from you ex-christians in the future to help shape my own personal beliefs.

I don't wish to shape anyone's beliefs (I could be wrong!) but I would like to shape attitudes toward rational thought. Investigating theories and facts based on real evidence leads to reasonable conclusions. I think one should have a valid reason to hold a belief. To base one's view of the universe on the dreams, hallucinations and guesses of others is rather pointless.

Guest RougeWolf22
I don't wish to shape anyone's beliefs (I could be wrong!) but I would like to shape attitudes toward rational thought. Investigating theories and facts based on real evidence leads to reasonable conclusions. I think one should have a valid reason to hold a belief. To base one's view of the universe on the dreams, hallucinations and guesses of others is rather pointless.

Real facts and evidence on the afterlife doesn't exist in this world right now(unless you count research on haunts and near-death experiences). I just belief in creating(yes creating), and probably fictional theories about God and the afterlife cause the idea of no afterlife(i agree that there might not be a GOD), because to believe that there is no afterlife(no matter what form it might take) is as unbelievable to me as you seem to believe that there is one. And I belief my quest to find it is more rational then believing in old myths and it is always up for discussion. And maybe it is pointless, but I found that most people need something to believe in to get through the day(even if it is a false one), and I believe that one that is subject to change if founded in logic is the best I can come up with.

• Super Moderator

If you are keen to believe in things that you know are just made up, may I suggest you become a Pastafarian. After all, the Heaven of the Flying Spaghetti Monster consists of strippers and beer!

Are you thinking of believing or believing this because you really believe its true, or because it sounds nice? And if its becuase it sounds appealing, do you really want to live another life after this one?

I don't want to change your beliefs but I think its important to consider why you're "searching" for something beyond this life.

I agree that most people need "something to believe in" and that most people seem to require an exacting system of beliefs that presume to be an authority on every aspect of life (which I think is illogical and rather simple minded. But that's just me). I think its near impossible to believe in nothing, but is religion/god/the afterlife really the answer?

Guest RougeWolf22
Are you thinking of believing or believing this because you really believe its true, or because it sounds nice? And if its becuase it sounds appealing, do you really want to live another life after this one?

I don't want to change your beliefs but I think its important to consider why you're "searching" for something beyond this life.

I agree that most people need "something to believe in" and that most people seem to require an exacting system of beliefs that presume to be an authority on every aspect of life (which I think is illogical and rather simple minded. But that's just me). I think its near impossible to believe in nothing, but is religion/god/the afterlife really the answer?

Thank you for the Pastafarian suggest, but that don't make a lick of sense to me(and I'm betting it doesn't to you either so why even suggest it?)

I don't believe anything I believe because it sounds nice to me, I believe it cause it rings true to me. In fact I don't think that I'll like any vision of afterlife I can envision, for reason I'm not even going to bother explaining. I agree also that most people seem to require an exact system of belief, that way I stray away that line of thought, and encourage others free thinking for themselves sharing those ideas to others for discussion. Frankly I don't know for sure religion/god/the afterlife is really the answer, but if not give me another theory that I can think about between work, movies, and the novel I read.

I believe it cause it rings true to me.

In other words, just a feeling, as Florduh said.

My personal deconversion entails not only the xian gawd, but any spooks, spirits, haints, ghosts, or things that go bump in the night (aside from my plumbing.)

As comedian Brother Dave Gardner said back in the 60's "everybody's got a kick." My kick is not believeing anything that can't be scientifically proven. You can prove you feel that way, nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nacirema

Rouge, you can't believe something because it "rings true." Truth is not based on emotions and gut reactions. In order to arrive at the truth of anything, you need to use reason and logic.

I'd also like to pose a question to something you said earlier: If you can't define God or the afterlife, how can you believe in it? How can you hold a belief in something, even an abstract concept, that you can't define?

Guest biofriendly
frankly I BELIEVE that the energy that comes from the human mind, even after death, has more strength then that to be as random as that.

There is no energy that comes from the human mind at all. Our brain use energy and when used it is dissipated as heat and goes out to warm up the cold space outside earth. so we have no such energy mind energy like you talk about.

Guest RougeWolf22

I swear, it seems like people either believe or don't believe. Why can't there be an inbetween? It's either there is a God who shapes the world or human only shape the world then are gone forever.

Look I don't need to defend my beliefs to anyone, but is there there anyone posting on this forum who believe there is something afterlife? I was just interest in sharing my beliefs to see what thought on the subject and see if there was other ex-christians who believed in something, not necessarily God, but beyond our understanding. Though my explanation is extremely flawed, as many of you explained the laws of physics stated that any energy we have is turned to heat when we die, why must you try to explain it over and over again. Mock me as if I'm an idiot.

And maybe I am, you don't know me only what I write, but even idiots can be right sometimes(by this I don't mean I'm right)

I guess find it funny how single minded my replies have been, either jokes or their is no such thing as an afterlife, and you feel right about it cause it is a flawed arguement.

I BEG you if you have an inking give me something better and stop wasting my time by trying to make yourself feel better then me or put me on your RIGHT path, cause if you can't tell by now being an Atheist isn't for me. It's true I have no GOD, but it don't mean I don't think there isn't anything out there.

• Super Moderator
I BELIEVE that the energy that comes from the human mind, even after death, has more strength then that to be as random as that. This is just theory without a way to prove it, but then again until someone dies, or science advances leaps and bounds, this can not be disproved.

It's not a theory, it is a hope and a belief. A theory has a basis in observable facts.

There is no need to disprove that belief, as there is no need to disprove the existence of fairies. The burden of proof is on the one making the extraordinary claim.

After you asked for our thoughts about your unfounded beliefs, these are your answers posted here. Most believe the documented evidence we have that the brain ceases to produce energy or anything else after tissue death.

Still, many people hold on to unfounded beliefs. If you don't need a reason to believe something, more power to you. It's your right to do so, but it doesn't seem a reasonable position to me when there is evidence to the contrary.

That's as nice and open minded a reply as I can muster. I wish you well as you sort things out.

I swear, it seems like people either believe or don't believe. Why can't there be an inbetween? It's either there is a God who shapes the world or human only shape the world then are gone forever.---------------------

I BEG you if you have an inking give me something better and stop wasting my time by trying to make yourself feel better then me or put me on your RIGHT path, cause if you can't tell by now being an Atheist isn't for me. It's true I have no GOD, but it don't mean I don't think there isn't anything out there.

If you have no GOD, by your own admission, then you already are an atheist. That is the most basal definition of atheism---some one without theism---some one without one or more "gods". Whether or not you believe in some sort of afterlife is another matter. There isn't any "in between" in terms of belief. You either believe in the thing or you don't. There is no middle ground of belief. It is one thing to say you don't know about something---it is quite another to say you don't believe in it. Agnosticism and atheism very frequently overlap. They are in no way mutually exclusive of each other.