Goodbye Jesus

Jews Perform Sun Ritual For First Time In 28 Years

hereticzero

Go here for story: http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?id=15...WLNWU00L1_UNEWS

JERUSALEM (AP) — Devout Jews around the world on Wednesday observed a ritual performed only once every 28 years, saying their morning prayers under the open sky in a ceremony called the "blessing of the sun."

Tens of thousands of worshippers stood next to the Western Wall in Jerusalem's walled Old City, the holiest site where Jews can pray. Hundreds headed to the ancient desert fortress of Masada, while others prayed on the roof of a Tel Aviv high-rise and congregated on road sides.

"God created the world in seven days," said Yona Vogel, one of the estimated 50,000 who attended the Western Wall prayers. "On the fourth day he put the sun into orbit and every 28 years it returns to the original place that it stood when God created the world."

Wow, they can pin point the exact spot in the sky in which the sun made its very first appearance! Will wonders never cease?

With me, it is not the fact they glorify god, the problem I have with this is that it teaches no respect for astronomy by claiming a 6,000 year old sheep herder's idea of the universe is superior to what we know in the 21st Century. This idea continues to be taught and this influences future generations to walk the earth with their heads up their asses.

BTW: Our solar system, including the Sun, has made 18 trips around the galactic center. So, just where was the location of the Sun when it was created? The sky almost 5 billion years ago would not look like our sky today, even the constellations would have been different. There is no way to pinpoint the exact place in the sky where anything was made. In 100,000 years the sky we have now will be totally different when it comes to viewing constellations. We are continually moving.

And I love how they deny they're worshiping the sun when it's so obvious to everyone else that's what they're doing. This has pagan ritual all over it.

And I love how they deny they're worshiping the sun when it's so obvious to everyone else that's what they're doing. This has pagan ritual all over it.

And your intimate familiarity with Jewish religion and practice revealed this to you ... how?

I'd think a religion that worshipped the sun (or moon) would engage in those rituals a bit more often than once every 28 years, and would include asking the Sun or Moon god to do stuff.

Here's the blessing --

"Blessed are You, LORD, our God, King of the Universe who makes the works of Creation."

I'm not seeing the sun mentioned in there.

Right on. I thought it was pretty cool, too bad the insistence on monotheistic pov kind of ruined it.