Goodbye Jesus

Religious Fetishism And Evangelical Christianity

sethosayher

One thing my Pentecostal family and friends love to boast about is their lack of emphasis on icons, religious images and trinkets. Unlike Catholics, they choose to demonstrate their Christianity through their actions, not a cross or piece of jewelery.

Of course, when I asked my mother how they can reconcile that explanation with the "jesus fish" decals they place on the back of their cars, I got a half-assed answer about how the Jesus fish was less sacrilegious than the cross. Whatever.

I hate the arrogance of certain Christian sects towards other denominations. Or other faiths. Especially when they imply their beliefs are less insane or are more "advanced." Have you guys experienced this?

Oh my goodness...I used to be one of those xtians!!

I was living in Israel and had such contempt for all the tourist sites there, with their wooden crosses and gaudy kitsch. I was a real true xtian that didn't need any of that heavy religiosity. I would watch the hundreds of eastern European elderly women or Italian mama's all dressed in black with their rosaries and felt so offended at their religion. How could they make my jesus out to be so religious. My goodness I was so obnoxious and arrogant. I am embarrassed by it so much now. I have now realised there is no such thing as a true christian. Well I am no longer christian and to me thats all that matters now.

Pentecostals (of which I used to be) still have their labels, they just dont recognise it. Look at the sorts of trendy bibles the youth group all buy, look at their fashions and tell me they aren't doing the same thing by making their own subculture. Even with their music they listen to. Its the exact same thing as having a sub-culture of crosses and rosary beads. Pentecostals just do it more arrogantly and piously. Sickening really.

And don't forget that fundies all worship their real god, the bible. The bible itself is icon worship to xtians because to them if you destroy the inerancy of the bible, you've destroyed their faith.

When I was a xtian, my icon was the Scofield Bible that I carried with me wherever I went.