Goodbye Jesus

Atheist Alternatives To Freemasonry?

sethosayher

So I was reading a thread by a freemason on a forum that I frequent. He really piqued my interest. The idea of joining an ancient, world-wide fraternity devoted to the cultivation of fellowship, ritual and upright character really appealed to me. One problem - the only requirement that Freemasons-to-be must satisfy before joining a Masonic lodge is to answer the question "Do you believe in a Supreme Being?" in the affirmative. They don't care if you're Pentecostal, Buddhist, Norse Pagan or Muslim, as long as you say yes. Other lodges also ask if you believe that you'll get your just deserts in an afterlife and if you believe that this supreme being has communicated his/her will to mankind.

Being an atheist, I can't give the lodge the answer they want without either lying or severely contorting the definition of a "Supreme Being." Are they any alternatives to Freemasonry?

So I was reading a thread by a freemason on a forum that I frequent. He really piqued my interest. The idea of joining an ancient, world-wide fraternity devoted to the cultivation of fellowship, ritual and upright character really appealed to me. One problem - the only requirement that Freemasons-to-be must satisfy before joining a Masonic lodge is to answer the question "Do you believe in a Supreme Being?" in the affirmative. They don't care if you're Pentecostal, Buddhist, Norse Pagan or Muslim, as long as you say yes. Other lodges also ask if you believe that you'll get your just deserts in an afterlife and if you believe that this supreme being has communicated his/her will to mankind.

Being an atheist, I can't give the lodge the answer they want without either lying or severely contorting the definition of a "Supreme Being." Are they any alternatives to Freemasonry?

Sorry sethosayher, I don't think so. None that is so large and well connected anyway.

My husband is a Mason, as I have said before I can't join the Order of the Eastern Star due to my lack of belief. It's okay tho, I still hang out with everyone, and get to help out with dinners and whatnot! I have never encountered a hard time for my lack of belief, just a ....... please , common and Are you sure you don't believe somethings out there? My answer is always the same to them, There "Might" be yes, but I can't say absolutely, hence I lack a type of faith I guess. To be honest, while I don't know anyone's 'hearts' so to say, I think a lot of people play pretend just to be part of the Order/lodge (aka club). I, like you can't compromise my integrity to twist the truth (lie) to get into the order, it really stinks too because it's a great cause full of great people. Good Character is a major part of masonry, it of course is a building block to making good men better. It is Ironic that people have to compromise their character and can't question weather god exists or not or else their out. Once intellectual conversions come up, you can get a pretty good read on where people really stand. I think it's silliness that it's a requirement, but then again, what I think is pretty irrelevant to them as far as their rule book goes! :HaHa:

I'm sorry I can't point you in any direction for an alternative, there might be one, I just haven't heard of it. Best of luck finding something out there! :)

Guest Marty

My dad's a Mason, and growing up I had a lot of questions about what they are and do. He never told me a thing except that it is a secret order and you cannot talk about anything that goes on with people outside. As I got older he tried to get me interested in joining, but I told him I would never join anything that I didn't know what they did before joining. He said they only do good things, that I have nothing to worry about. If they were a good group with nothing to hide, then why all the secrecy? He never even attempted to answer that one.

He gets mad at every "Mason conspiracy" show that comes on, yet how can you be upset if people jump to conclusion as to what your group does if you refuse to mention even the smallest thing that you guys do? IMO, secret clubs have secrets to hide. Simple as that. I don't trust them...

I've always been one of those conspiracy guys...I have read quite a few Masonic books or books by Master Masons like Albert Churchward...who asserts that freemasonry is deeply rooted in the Solar and Lunar cults that, anthropologically speaking, came about LONG before anyone ever heard of YHWH or Zoroaster. Others assert that Lucifer (the light bearer, The morning Star aka the eastern star OES, etc etc) is the GAOTU (Great Architect of the Universe)...I understand that the final revelation of Masonry is the True name of God...being Jah-Bul-On...those are some of the secrets and the reasons why these things must be kept quiet...if the public were aware they would be looked at oddly...not that I personally care ...i kind of understand the mindset of lucifer as the good guy....

as far as atheist organizations like that...i dont know if you will get the same sort of thing out of it, but in the UK there are The Brights, an organization of Atheists....and there is one here in the US but I can't remember the name....or you could maybe charter a society of atheists in your home town...

Guest Marty

Well, the way you describe it, it actually sounds like fun! It is also somewhat surprising cause my dad is not the person I'd expect to belong to a club like that, being mr. xtian as I was growing up. Apparently he is pretty high up (31 degree I think) so he must have been told some of that stuff. We used to argue about the truth of xtianity all the time...

I have thought about faking my way through for years and then exposing the whole lot years later, but #1: Nobody would really believe me and #2: I could not live a lie for years and years.

But I do really, really want to know what they are all about.

I vote we start a super secret atheist club. I mean really, most of the super secret clubs in the world do have religious connections. Why should we get left out? ^_^

We could have our own secret handshake and rituals too!

• Super Moderator

I want an Atheist Decoder Ring.

And coffee mugs and t shirts with messages in code that only the "members" would understand....LOL!

I was thinking the same thing recently. Since leaving the church, I'm going through a severe lack of fellowship.

In reality, the church was my extended family that I chose. I loved the social aspect, friends I saw every week etc.

So I looked into these groups (Masons, Elks etc) and was disappointed that all of them require an affirmation of a supreme being.

What did I end up doing?

I joined a local Sportsman's club. Now I meet buddies at our private shooting range and all is well. There are options out there.