Goodbye Jesus

"gawd Is Watching Over You, Angela"

angelinabee

I need to bitch about my mother.

I am in a play right now, and on my way home from the theater I was on the main highway where I live. This moron next to me decided to jerk his car over into my lane, causing me to have to jerk my car over in order to stop him from hitting me going about 70 MPH.

I lost control of my car, I did two 360s on the highway, barely missed the wall, felt two of my wheels go slightly up in the air (the cop that stopped to check on me confirmed this) and ended up unharmed and with an unharmed car.

I'll tell you how this happened:

1. That stretch of highway is never that busy on Sundays. Never.

2. I know how to drive defensively and how to control an out of control car. I actually paid attention a few years ago when I got a speeding ticket and had to go to driving school.

3. I didn't freak out and I stayed in control of the situation.

When I called my mother later and told her what happened, she wouldn't hear any of that. According to her "God had his hands on my wheel" and it was only because of him that I got out of that situation alive. She couldn't accept that it was MY fast thinking, MY driving skills, and pure luck that it happened on the day that the main roads aren't all that busy around here.

THIS crap is the reason why I, to this day, have trouble with my self esteem. I was always taught that I was worthless and anything good that happened to me happened only because the magical sky fairy allowed it to happen.

Not this time. I SAVED MYSELF! I am okay because of ME!

Goddammit, I'm pissed. I'm not pissed because the assface that ran me off the road and caused it just kept on driving and didn't stop to check on me, I'm just pissed in general.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

If god was watching over you, then why didn't he stop the asshole from swerving into your lane to begin with? If god had his hand on the wheel, then why did you have to do a couple of 360s and almost hit/barely miss a wall? Couldn't an all-powerful, all-knowing, completely in control god do an even better job of driving than you could?

Yes, it was YOUR skills, YOUR alertness, YOUR ability to stay calm in the midst of a possible impending disaster that saved both you and your car. Good on YOU. :)

I don't blame you.

Your mother is full of shit. You survived the accident out of a combination of luck and very clear skill. If God was watching out for you, he must've been sleeping on the job, because he failed to stop the accident from happening in the first place.

I'm glad you're okay, by the way. That'd freak me the hell out. Good save on your part!

I'm glad you're okay. Man, I need to learn skills like that. Drove on the highway for the first time in a while myself today and nearly had a close miss.

Typical, biblegod gets creadit for human skill and hard work. "Miracle on the Hudson" comes to mind.

Something for comic relief:

DON'T Let Jesus Take the Wheel

I'm glad you're okay. Man, I need to learn skills like that. Drove on the highway for the first time in a while myself today and nearly had a close miss.

Typical, biblegod gets creadit for human skill and hard work. "Miracle on the Hudson" comes to mind.

Something for comic relief:

DON'T Let Jesus Take the Wheel

EXACTLY!!!

That man who had been a pilot for something like thirty years landed that plane safely, and all I heard was "OOOOH, gawd was watching over them and guided them to safety!" It's so irritating!!

And I'm not nearly as irritated as I was because of that video. AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

And yeah, if god was watching over me why didn't he make that guy whip over into my lane when he was in front of me? Why did he make me have to go to the effort and barely miss a giant concrete wall at a high speed?

Hell, a few years ago I had a cancer scare and my doctor was wonderful. He was a Johns Hopkins educated physician who was the most attentive and determined doctor I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. When I was cleared of all cancer risk, do you think that anyone I knew gave him and his fellow doctors and nurses any credit? Nope. It was all gawd!

AAAAGH, now I'm pissed again.

Note for next time: Had you crashed...YOU would have gotten ALL the credit.

mwc

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

Glad you made it out ok.

Dog was actually watching over you. /me looks up to the big cloudy sky and sees the cute invisible sky puppy and says "Sup Dog!" (jk hehe)

Sorry that your mom was the usual delusional asshole about the whole affair. That had to suck.

When I called my mother later and told her what happened, she wouldn't hear any of that. According to her "God had his hands on my wheel" and it was only because of him that I got out of that situation alive. She couldn't accept that it was MY fast thinking, MY driving skills, and pure luck that it happened on the day that the main roads aren't all that busy around here.

If you're like me, the time will come when you just won't tell your mother that kind of stuff. If she doesn't have your pearls she can't trample them in the mud. Great driving skills are learned and require effort. Congratulations for coming out of that situation alive and with car undented.

How annoying. I can see how his could mess with someone's self esteem! Seriously! Do some people have no pride in their child's obvious skill and intelligence?

Yes, my mom was always praising God for the good in me (mainly school grades), but other things were 100% caused by my not loving God enough (such as a skinned knee or the flu)

So I feel your pain. BE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not this time. I SAVED MYSELF! I am okay because of ME!

You go, girl! :D