Goodbye Jesus

I'm Not Mad At Jesus

PandaPirate

• Super Moderator

Actually today I am mad at Jesus.

He was replacing some sidewalk sections for the county, and tossed the broken up old concrete in the fucking storm sewer!

Jesus is a numbnuts!

Actually today I am mad at Jesus.

He was replacing some sidewalk sections for the county, and tossed the broken up old concrete in the fucking storm sewer!

Jesus is a numbnuts!

I'd tell him to go kill himself again if he'd only stay dead. F*cking zombies.

A real god would have tattooed his commandments along with a User Manual on each of us. That way it would be quite clear "it" existed.

Oh dear. :nono: You poor thing. YOU didn't come with a tattoo of the commandments and the user manual? This is obviously some type of a problem on your end!

tongue_tattoo.jpg

My boyfriend asks me why atheists (and I'm not atheist btw) are so full of hate and anger toward Christians? He says, "If you don't believe god exists then why are you so mad at him? It would be like being mad at the Easter Bunny."

Well, not exactly, I tell him. First of all, the Easter Bunny doesn't solicit me for my time and my money. The Easter Bunny does not tell me I'm going to hell if I don't believe. The Easter Bunny doesn't do anything except lay pretty coloured eggs.

What I am angry at is these people who constantly spread lies and call them the truth. That's what genuinely pisses me off.

Anger toward Christians and anger towards God and Jesus are two entirely different things.

I don't have a problem with the Bible, Jesus, or God. I don't believe in gods as beings, the Bible is simply a book, and Jesus...well, I don't disagree with him much, tell the truth. I don't think he was the son of a god, but it doesn't matter much. Once you get down to understanding a bit about history, what daily life was like, and the political-religious time he lived in, and gain a bit of skill in understanding parables and metaphors, he basically gave a lot of plain ol' good common sense that's been said many times and in many ways all over the world.

Christianity and most Christians however, drive me up the wall. There are SO many denominations with so many different perspectives on what makes you "saved" or not, that you're pretty well screwed from the get-go if God was really THAT nit-picky. Most of the modern practices of the religion deviate wildly from what the Bible and Jesus were talking about, so it's pretty much it's own beast entirely. For many people, it's used as a method of being self-righteous, smug, hateful, elitist, and terrible to others. I hate that my life gets influenced by Christians and this incredible mis-understanding of their own religion.

So there really is little wonder why so many are sour on it.

This is a great thread topic. Angry at Jesus? I feel horrible about what happened to him. I would never want to see someone tortured and killed. Andd as per the time he lived in, his message was relatively good. Had any responsible person been there, in his time, i think that person would have done their very best to stop the sadism. We need not be angry at any crucifixion victim, surely they went through enough.

Lol, even if he was real back in those times, I probably would have been one of the individuals mocking him for the fun of it. I know, I'm just a cold-hearted person right? :P.

Well, actually yes, you do appear to be...

It's okay, Windstorm. I loves me a good schaudenfreude party too.

I hate Jesus even though I don't think he ever existed. I hate the guilt words attributed to him made me feel and I think the character he is supposed to be is a complete ass. I hate the "he was a good teacher" yarn as well. He wasn't a good teacher. He rode an ass and he was an ass. Fuck him. :crucified:

Seriously. I love how the folks who are so fond of quoting the "swords into plowshares" line always seem to forget "I come not to bring peace, but a sword" was allegedly spouted from those very same lips.

Which isn't to say I'm surprised. Cherry picking is, after all, the favorite past-time of most Jesus lovers. It's awful fun to watch, though.

My boyfriend asks me why atheists (and I'm not atheist btw) are so full of hate and anger toward Christians? He says, "If you don't believe god exists then why are you so mad at him? It would be like being mad at the Easter Bunny."
Isn't that like someone asking why are black people so full of hate and anger towards racist bigots? I could easily turn the question around on Christians. Christians don't believe what atheists say, so why are they mad at atheists when they take away their special privileges?

You nailed it, Neon, with the Christians being the racist bigots and the atheists being the black people--more like atheist=black-hearted in the mind of the bigots.

If they're so sure their god exists and their religion is true--exactly why does this almighty Ruler and Creator of the universe need to be defended by mere mortals of any description???

As for special privileges...I don't see atheists taking away special privileges from anyone. I see some atheists requesting equal rights and respect with fellow citizens. I feel resentful when a Christian who otherwise demonstrates considerable education, in a post about "Major Religious Holidays" for various religions, after the religious holidays he leaves a space, then he posts April Fool's Day as the atheists' holiday. Since it's a Christian forum and I'm sure it's put out as bait, I ignore it and post a batch of secular holidays that he missed--things like Darwin Day and Columbus Day along with Civic Holiday, Canada Day, Family Day, and Labour Day.

There was not one name on his list of a person who discovered entire new worlds or continents, or who came up with a theory that scientifically explained the foundations of life on this planet. (Forgive me if my wording isn't quite right re Darwin; my science is sadly lacking but the guy seems to have found something foundational to our understanding of life.)

"I like your christ. I do not like your christians. They are so unlike your christ."

- Mohandas Ghandi

If I were around I would have said "Speak English!" Then hit him with a rock when he couldn't. Lying SOB. A real god would speak English on request.

mwc

Hmmm.

I remember what it was like learning English.

I have never ever known a world in which there was only one language.

If the adults wanted to say something we little ones weren't supposed to understand, they would say it in English. Like everyone else, I learned English when I started school. As an adult on the farm, if English-speaking customers came to buy farm produce and we needed to check up with each other on some detail that we didn't really want the customer to know, we'd say it in German.

But.

Some customers had their own languages that none of us understood. Italian. Greek. Spanish. Chinese. Various types of German from various parts of the world, including Germany itself. The really strange thing was that the children of all these weirdly speaking adults always understood very well what their elders were saying.

To be really explicit, the Mennonites of Pennsylvania speak with a slightly different accent of Pennsylvania German than we do in Ontario. One day when my youngest sister was about three years old, some American young people visited. One of them noted with amazement that "Even the children speak like Canadians!"

So there you've got it. We learn to speak from the people around us.

I'm trying to understand the logistics of your post, MWC. How could you possibly know English if you were in first-century Palestine?

So far as I know, the language did not exist back then, in any form. Its parent languages were being used, one of which was Latin. German may be another. Really, I haven't studied the history of the English language. But I know for a solid fact that the language we are using here on these forums today did not exist in any recognizable form in first-century Palestine. For example, some of us have a problem reading KJV, written only four centuries ago--imagine what would have happened in the course of twenty centuries in the case that a language existed that was called English.

Maybe I'm missing something...I just find myself gaping in bewilderment when I hear people saying things like that...I always thought God was the maker of languages. See the Tower of Babel story. So I'm sure any gods that existed in first-century Palestine could speak 21st century North American--or any other--English even though no human of the time could have understood the message.

Looking at the title of this thread. I guess this language rant is somewhat off-topic but your complaint is something I keep meeting on these forums and I don't understand it....Exactly why is anyone mad at jesus/god for not speaking English?

I think he meant it as a joke, R. S. Martin...

I'm trying to understand the logistics of your post, MWC. How could you possibly know English if you were in first-century Palestine?

As Scorpion pointed out it was a bit of a joke but it also highlights a point. If I were there then I would know English. It's about the only language I know. I'm not saying if I were born way back then and brought up in that time...that wouldn't truly be me now would it? Nope. I, mwc, happen to be the guy that only exists in the here and now...2009. So if I were there (through some magic I suppose) I'd have to have "jesus" speak in English so I could understand him now wouldn't I? That only makes sense. I want to get the message from the source as well. But I imagine any "jesus" wouldn't be able to pull this off since, as you so aptly pointed out, there was no English. He'd fail. But a true "god" shouldn't fail this simple matter of speaking English...should he? No. So I'd stone him for being a fraud. I guess I'd ruin the whole cross thing by doing so but so what? He wouldn't speak English like the good "god" he was supposed to be.

Anyhow, I think speaking English would be a simple thing for a "god" (especially one that claims omniscience). I don't think "jesus" could speak English.

mwc

Anyhow, I think speaking English would be a simple thing for a "god" (especially one that claims omniscience). I don't think "jesus" could speak English.

Hell, God couldn't even escape the suck of His own creation. He was even scared about what they were going to do to Him.

Pretty weaksauce for a god.

Hell, God couldn't even escape the suck of His own creation. He was even scared about what they were going to do to Him.

Pretty weaksauce for a god.

Wouldn't you be?????? Do you know that the word excruciating is a derivitive of the word crucifixion? According to conventional theology, he was god made flesh. His fearing the passion would thus have been quite justified.

As Scorpion pointed out it was a bit of a joke but it also highlights a point. If I were there then I would know English. It's about the only language I know. I'm not saying if I were born way back then and brought up in that time...that wouldn't truly be me now would it? Nope. I, mwc, happen to be the guy that only exists in the here and now...2009. So if I were there (through some magic I suppose) I'd have to have "jesus" speak in English so I could understand him now wouldn't I? That only makes sense.

Oh, okay. Yeah, you got really strong magic. :)

I guess I am too serious. I was born this way I suppose. Thanks for explaining, all the same....

...Hey, I'm playing with the idea of someone from the 21st century trying to stone Jesus as he's hanging there on the cross. What would be the impact????

Let's see....

We've got the Roman Centurion who's "seen it all." We've got Jesus' family and friends who can't make up their minds if they love or hate him. We've got the smug Pharisees who won't get their hands defiled just before the Passover. We've got the Sadducees out to make a coupla bucks--or whatever they made those days--on all the tourists pouring into town for the long weekend. We've got the hoodlums hanging out to pick up what excitement and bits of nutrition they can where they can--getting the popular rable-rouser hung on a tree just before the Passover, that was kinda neat. They knew that Big Guys were glad to have him out of the way but that they did wish it could have happened a few weeks earlier and not right before the Passover...We've got all of these masses and classes babbling away in Middle Eastern first-century languages with dress to match.

Then...

ENTER:

21-Century

English-Speaking

North American

former baseball pitcher

Male

properly attired in

Business Suit and Tie,

carrying a large rock in his former pitching hand,

saying in ENGLISH:

I request of you, Lord Jesus Christ, son of Mary, born of a virgin,

Tell me:

at the moment when you left your Father's House of Many Mansions

to enter Mary's Womb,

what colour was God's eye--the one that is on the people

who are afraid of him and hope for his mercy?

That's taken from Ps.33:18, KJV.

I wonder what impact that would have had on that mid-eastern crowd.... :scratch:

Would they have thought they were visited by an alien, maybe?

former baseball pitcher

I got into a "disagreement" with my coach and I was placed in the outfield. ;)

Business Suit and Tie,

Levi's and a T-shirt. A suit and tie would kill me. I think I'd want to be the one on the cross. :) I might consider wearing a toga or something. Something in purple? I'm feeling royal. Or maybe a sheet with fluffy clouds or Star Wars? Possibly just a clothes pin on my nose...I have a feeling it might be stinky.

saying in ENGLISH:

That's taken from Ps.33:18, KJV.[/size]

I was thinking of something more like "Hey stupid. Speak English!" I think a god should be able to work out what I mean. I'm not above throwing the first stone. But I imagine I'd show up and it would be "jesus" that would be nowhere to be found.

Would the whole redemption thing worked if I would have shown up while he was up in Galilee somewhere and took him out? No Passover. No cross. No virgin grave. Just some moron doing him in? Even if he did the resurrection trick would it matter? I thought it was about the whole set of events. But maybe not. At least xians would be wearing little "moron throwing rock" images around their necks instead of crosses.

I wonder what impact that would have had on that mid-eastern crowd.... :scratch:

Would they have thought they were visited by an alien, maybe?

You're right. I should probably bring a gun AND a rock. Nah. They probably have plenty of rocks.

mwc

Guest Wellington

Well I felt betrayed by society? family? I felt duped. I get annoyed when I here the dogma. What I see are people worshiping the faith. (worshiping in hopes that there is a god) because there is nothing there to see, feel or hear. Moderate Christan's are very sceptically of those lunatics who claim to see visions and know what god wants. I was a moderate and a historian who came of age and realized that the bible, Koran, tora......and all the others were not Divine or true. In general they are just made up stories.

Without Christians there would be no Christ. He'd disappear into a puff of disbelief. *poof*

mwc

Speaking of getting mad at Jesus, this video is genius: