Who Was Jesus And What Was He Thinking?

EmmaRose

Today in one of my political science classes we were talking about Jesus and the unreliability of the Bible, and I got to thinking, who was Jesus really? And what was he thinking? Was he crazy? Does anyone actually know?

See, I was thinking, maybe Joseph got Mary knocked up and they decided to blame it on God. (An unmarried couple at my church did this exact same thing a few years ago--and their parents believed them. Anyhow.) So, Mary's now pregnant with the son of God. So that's what she tells Jesus he is for the rest of his life. And, in the end, when he's dying on the cross--and she's weeping--its because she knows the truth and that she's the cause of his death.

Anyone know any (obviously not Bible based) theory's about Jesus?

Guest nonreligiousbelieverinGod

I have no idea. I have heard stories about Jesus being an alien or Mary having sex with an alien. You bring up a good point and the reason we are here. We really don't know now do we?

Today in one of my political science classes we were talking about Jesus and the unreliability of the Bible, and I got to thinking, who was Jesus really? And what was he thinking? Was he crazy? Does anyone actually know?

Anyone know any (obviously not Bible based) theory's about Jesus?

There's a bit of irony to your question. The bible is unreliable and yet the whole concept of this "jesus" is reliable? That's the reliable nugget? How about the fact, and I do say fact, that in the latest and greatest dig at Nazareth it supports all the previous looks that show that it had a farm there? No town. No need for a town as there was a large Jewish town down the road one direction and a large Roman one in the other just a few miles away (both are not mentioned in the bible but are mentioned by Josephus...who omits this amazing Nazareth while he defended the Jewish town from the Romans). Strange? Not really. There must be a "jesus" nugget in there. There simply must be. Or not.

The thing is people want to find a "jesus." Well, seek and ye shall find. That much is true. So I'll offer the popular alternative where "Mary" gets knocked by the Roman named "Panther." Not true but the Jews had to eventually come up with something, right? All that matters is a "jesus" came along and did something during the approximate time frame the stories mention just as long as he doesn't do entirely what the stories mention. So we need a popular poor preacher man but not a magical popular poor preacher man.

mwc

^ So is there no record of his historical existence outside of the Bible?? Or is there?

Just clarifying. I agree with the wanting to create/find a jesus.

You might find this link of interest, as it outlines some of the possible "Jesus" scenarios:

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/surfeit.htm

You might find this link of interest, as it outlines some of the possible "Jesus" scenarios:

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/surfeit.htm

Thank you so much for this...its fascinating and answering a lot of my questions.

Yeah, definitely the problem is seeing the Bible as drivel, but at the same time seeing Jesus as a possibility... They're both bunked.