Goodbye Jesus

Early Christians Were Lazy -- Look At The Vedas Also Preserved By Memory

R. S. Martin

As someone pointed out so correctly above, "history is written by the victors." That's why Xtian writers of today tend to paint a picture of orthodoxy always being the accepted version of Xtiainity when we now know from finds like those from Nag Hammadi that early Xtianity was even more seriously diversified than today's religion.

Sometimes history is also rewritten by parties who were not the victors. I was shocked when i came to China and found out what Chinese kids learn about the Korean War (known as the war to "Fight US Aggression and Aid Korea") in school. The official Chinese version is that the whole purpose of the war was that the US wanted to conquer and occupy China. The "Korean conflict" was just an excuse. China was the victor and the US suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Chinese!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• hereticzero

• Abiyoyo

• R. S. Martin

Guest humbletom
The virgin came in through the Septuagint.

See, this is another reason I think Christianity got Christianity all wrong. Jesus disciples where ready to go to war with the Romans, and were 'way off' on Jesus agenda, according to the Gospels that is. So, Christ came not for war(or else I assume, He would've went to war with the Romans), which would debunk that part of prophecy of Jesus. Unfortunately, maybe the whole virgin birth thing made it appealing to the Hellenistic Jews. Anyway, there are still numberous scripture predicting Jesus Christ as the Messiah, but I agree that the virgin one seems to be misrepresented.

The Hebrew word that is found in Isaiah is ‘almâ. This can mean virgin or young woman. Another word that can mean virgin that people think should have been used is betûlâ. However that word also means someone who is still living with her father. Also, just read Isaih: Behold the Lord will give a sign. A ____ will bear a son. A young lady having a child does not seem like a sign.

The Hebrew word that is found in Isaiah is ‘almâ. This can mean virgin or young woman. Another word that can mean virgin that people think should have been used is betûlâ. However that word also means someone who is still living with her father. Also, just read Isaih: Behold the Lord will give a sign. A ____ will bear a son. A young lady having a child does not seem like a sign.

The "sign" is the whole thing, not just someone giving birth. If we take the whole verse: "14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Which could be read that the sign is there will be a son with the name "Immanuel." The "virgin" part is just one part of the sign. But then we could also continue to the next verse and claim that part of being the sign, not just this first verse. And perhaps it's the whole segment, and not just those two verses. To just limit it to the "virgin" part means that we could do the same kind of "interpretation" on other "prophesies," or should we consider just that little part being the prophesy, but not the rest of the verse or the next verse? Do you have any explanation why it's just the first few words which are considered the sign?