Goodbye Jesus

Prophecies Of Impending Doom?

sethosayher

My mother just told me that a member of our church saw that I was going to endure some great suffering soon...some horrible travail...apparently this is the third time she's heard this. The "prophecy" was woefully vague, but it's still unnerving to hear THREE people pronounce your impending doom. How do you deal with these circumstances? How do I calm my mother down? And how do I avoid entangling myself in this irrational fear-mongering?

• Super Moderator
And how do I avoid entangling myself in this irrational fear-mongering?

What works for me is those two little words - Fuck Off!

You prove them wrong. I hear shit like that all the time. Then I remind them that nothing happened.

The great thing about vague prophecies is they inevitably appear to come true. ;) So, for example, someone says that you will die one day for whatever it is that you did (renouncing the faith, etc) and, low and behold, at the ripe old age of 95 you suddenly die! See! Prophecy fulfilled!

I am sure that if I get cancer or have a stroke or something that many zealots from the church I was a part of will be very vocal in proclaiming that as the retribution of a divine and angry god!

• Super Moderator

It's like reading your daily horoscope. It's all purposefully vague so that anything said could apply to anybody reading to some degree or another. The bad predictions are certainly nothing to worry about nor the good ones anything to count on.

This one woman told me that if I ever fornicated with a woman, she would get pregnant and have an abortion and also be possessed by demons.

I turned down so goddamn fucking many sexual opportunities because of that. Not because I didn't wanna piss off God, but because I didn't want to destroy anybody's life and have them commit suicide and go to hell.

Finally losing my virginity, and seeing that nothing horrible happened (and that condoms actually work!), was what got the ball rolling to my deconversion.

The "horrible travail" was having several church people pronounce prophecy over you. It's all done and over with! Go ahead and go back to what you were doing.

Write down the "prophecy", or record it, then wave it in their faces later. I did that with Kim Clement on the blog I used to have. I did a line by line refutation because he gave dates by which it should all have happened. None of it did. I doubt that anyone noticed my writing, but it was there if they wanted it. Most of the true believers don't want to hear anything different from what they already believe.

I wish I had the answer. Right now, if I remember, I'm up to monitoring my phone calls (caller ID), but prophesy is not my issue, although the invasion is. However, I don't think that is the answer either. You may just have to bite the bullet, depending on your mother's disposition, and tell her to leave you alone concerning religious matters. I know that is much easier said than done though.

Just tell your mother that what these church members are doing goes against The Word of God® and will surely cause them to be cast into hell fire if they do not confess their sin to the Lord and repent their evil ways. :lmao:

There are many, many bible verses that state or imply that only God knows the future and that it is an "abomination" to practice or solicit fortune telling.

Here's a whole page on it from a fundigelical viewpoint, so it's OK to share with your mom and any others who claim to be Bible-Believing, God-Fearing Christians™.

http://www.evaldon.com/christian/uph8.htm

Of course, what these church folks are actually doing is making up vague threats in an obvious attempt to scare you back into the cult. I'd pay it no mind. As Oscar Wilde said, "Living well is the best revenge." So, get on with your life and heck with the christ-bots.

You tell her! You have no idea! She and her sister are so delusional that they believe the Bible is more accurate than science.

Tell your mother that they are practicing witchcraft. The wages of sin is death, right? The wages of life are death.

Wow...religious people are scary. :eek:

If this vague prophecy doesn't come to pass, they'll probably lie and say they got the timing wrong and it wasn't going to happen as ''soon'' as they thought *eyeroll*.

Wow...religious people are scary. :eek:

:lol: I agree wholeheartedly, but you make it funny the way you say it.

LOL I'm glad my post could be a source of random entertainment :grin:

*takes a bow* Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Guest DD2014

According to the bible your mom is wrong.

Ecclesiastes 7:14

When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future.