Goodbye Jesus

European Calendar

rstrats

In the United States, many Christians say that they observe Sunday, the first day of the week, at least in part, to commemorate the resurrection which they believe took place on the first day of the week. However, many areas of Europe use a calendar that has Sunday as the seventh day of the week. Does anyone know, in those areas that use that calendar, on what day they hold their weekly worship services? If they hold it on the seventh day, do they also do anything special on the first day?

I can only speak for Germany, but over here we consider Sun's day the last day of the week and church services are held only on that day (in the mainstream churches that is, and excluding any specific holidays).

Thurisaz,

re: “I can only speak for Germany, but over here we consider Sun's day the last day of the week and church services are held only on that day...Any questions?”

Yes. Do you happen to know why folks in Germany hold their services on the seventh day of the week?

Not sure if I'm going a bit outside of the question here, but is anyone sure they are putting a different day as the last day of the week?

I have some calendars that group Sat/sun into one box on the side, I have some that have sunday all the way to the left (which would be the beginning, not the end right)?

Going back to why they hold services on Sunday - Saturday was the original Jewish sabbath, christians moved it to Sunday to keep it separate and distinct from this. Ironically, some Christian groups have reverted and hold services on Saturday to put it back in line with the original sabbath.

My 2 cents...

Do you happen to know why folks in Germany hold their services on the seventh day of the week?

Probably because of the "but on the 7th day da lawd rested blah yadda" stuff. Seriously, I never really cared :)

In Britain, the vast majority of calendars will start with Monday. There are a few that will start with Sunday, but I haven't seen any for a while. People here worship Sundays.

The Russian word for Friday is пятница (Pyatnitza). Pyat = 5, so Friday is considered the 5th day making Sunday (Воскресенье) the last day of the week.

I believe that Calendars that start on Monday do so because that is typically the first work day of the week. Since many countries do (and did in the past) work from Monday through Friday, with Saturday and Sunday off, then it seemed strange to split the weekend off days on a calendar by putting one at the beginning of the week (Sunday) and one at the end of the week (Saturday). So, to keep these two days (Saturday and Sunday) grouped together, many calendars start on Monday and end on Sunday.

Now some countries have four day work weeks, so who knows what we will do with their calendars ;) .

LilaMae,

re: “People here worship Sundays.”

What is their reason for worshiping on the seventh day of the week?

I wish U.S. calendar distributors would make calendars with Monday at the beginning of the week. I know I would buy them. I have heard that in Europe these types of calendars are common. It would just be much more convenient to have calendars set up that way.

I am sure that the reason we don’t have them here is because some fundies would get their panties in wad for messing with GOD’s Calendar and his precious days of the week and their sequence. I would also love to have a calendar that you can use every year too, but that would require everyone to agree that one day a year (or two in Leap Years) would not be recognized as a day of the week and would be called something else. But that idea has been rejected for the same reasons. Religious nut jobs all over the world be up in arms.

LilaMae,

re: “People here worship Sundays.”

What is their reason for worshiping on the seventh day of the week?

Well, the short answer is that they believe the seventh day is when God rested when making creation, and made that day Sabbath.

In answer to the 2nd question in the OP- no they don't do anything on Mondays that I've heard about.