Goodbye Jesus

George W. Bush- Faith Killer

Thegodthatfailed

Back when I was a Xian, I had an intense dislike for the Bush administration(still do) and it's policies. I have been politically neutral

most of my life, but starting with the first few years of the shurub's junta, I became increasing liberal and suspicious of the government.

Although, I was always conservative in my theological beliefs, I couldn't reconcile the right-wing dogma with what was taught in the

gospels. In the first months after 9-11, I started to investigate and learn a few things about how the Bush admin. operated and conducted

itself. I really began to question some of the things they were shoving down our throats at the time,unlike the media or the "good Xians".

Things like the terrorists threats they were overplaying to justify their doctrine of preventive war and torture. During the build-up of the

Iraq war, I knew they were lying. All the lies about the yellow cake uranium, Colin Powell's using a plagiarized essay by a graduate student

and citing dubious Iraqi defectors before the U.N.(later he admitted this was bullshit), Iraq's "nu-clear threat",etc. People were so gullible

to be led into that war based on false pretenses. Then, the Abu Garib scandal a year or two later. All this, and more made me question how

G.W. Bush could consider himself such a good Xain, and more than that how could most Fundy's and evangelicals worship him like some kind of

new saviour. I mean, he and his henchmen had to about the most lying,corrupt,duplicitous,arrogant group of thugs that ever led this nation.

I was a fundy, but just didn't want to be associated with all of the other fundy Bush-bots out there. I tired to justify this in my mind

by saying that Bush wasn't a "true Xian" and that his followers were just deceived or maybe not "true Xian"(whatever that means) either.

Now I know what "true Xian" means to those you use the term - anyone who shares your view on the world and particular interpretation of the

scriptures. But then,I just couldn't understand how someone who claimed to be following Christ,could support such a known lair who got us

into a war that cost over 1 million lives(and counting),justify torture on mostly innocent people,and for the corporate raiding of our society

vs. the rest of us peons. I looked back through history and saw basically the same shit. With the crusades,The Inquisition,slavery being justified

by the "Good book", Hitler(who claimed to be a Xian) and many other examples of killing or other criminal acts committed in the name of God,

I realized this was not a new phenomenon. This forced me to really look into what it meant to be "saved" and how could people justify their

evil doing using the Bible. When I examined the Bible critically then I could see how George W. could justify some of his warmongering, genocidal, torturous ways. He had a ready-made template to go by especially in the O.T.,with all the murder,genocide,and mayhem it is filled

with all being approved by the bible-god.I could then no longer reconcile in my mind the image of a loving God,and what the Bible portrayed

this monster to be and also with what was going on in the world.I could see how Xians could approve of the Iraq slaughter.How dare those people

have a different religion and live above "our" oil. Those heathens need to be liberated by our loving bombs and the gospel of our D.U. tipped

bullets,and shells.This is really when Xianity showed its ugly teeth and dark side to me. Of course,all my Fundy relatives drunk the Kool-aid

and were behind this 100%.They thought I was some kind of freak for being opposed to all this. Finally,after studying the lack of historical,

archaeological,logical basis for Xianity,I said "I've had it".So this is how George W. Bush was a major factor in my abandoning the faith.

How many other people in America or the world did Bush cause to lose their faith is this way? Thanks a lot, George! You asshole!

Maybe that is the only thing you ever done in your miserable life that was for the benefit of humanity.

Well, he played a big role in killing my faith in the Republican Party. My faith in Cheesus was mostly gone by the time George showed up.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

George Bush and Dick Cheney were pretty much just a two man dictatorship come to think of it. They wrecked our Republic and turned it into some weird form of fascism by the time the Jet Blue incident happened.

What I still can't figure out is why they are alive and walking around.

George Bush and Dick Cheney were pretty much just a two man dictatorship come to think of it. They wrecked our Republic and turned it into some weird form of fascism by the time the Jet Blue incident happened.

Yeah, if we lived in any kind of sane society they would have been tried, convicted, and spending the rest of their pathetic lives in a padded cell.

Or better yet, not "s-elected" in the first place. Doesn't seem that Obama will hold them accountable in any meaningful way. He may try to go after

a few lackeys who attempted to legalize torture, but as far as going after Bush/Cheney or Rumsfield etc., forget about it. The Dems aided and abetted

the institution of some of these fascist policies as much as the Repugs.

Yeah, the W. was definitely a reason why I started to question the faith.

At first, I was pissed off because God's own holy church was getting fucked in the ass by the Bush Administration while Karl Rove orchestrated the sweet-talking and provided the lube. I was mad at the GOP for taking the American church for a ride and making non-believers hate the church more than they ever did before.

But then it dawned on me. "God is not in control. If He was, He wouldn't let this bullshit happen to the church."

That was a major chink in the armor for me.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

Yeah, if we lived in any kind of sane society they would have been tried, convicted, and spending the rest of their pathetic lives in a padded cell.

Or better yet, not "s-elected" in the first place. Doesn't seem that Obama will hold them accountable in any meaningful way. He may try to go after

a few lackeys who attempted to legalize torture, but as far as going after Bush/Cheney or Rumsfield etc., forget about it. The Dems aided and abetted

the institution of some of these fascist policies as much as the Repugs.

Yeah, no shit. We went down Soviet Union style with people getting randomly put on terrorist "Watch Lists" by TSA and harassed by the government, everyone from the average Joe to Sen. Kennedy, and not so much as a real fight or outrage from the Democrats. I seriously don't trust anyone in Congress after the last eight years, and I am beginning to believe that the reason some people still do is due to serious indoctrination from a corporate fascist media. Murdoch owns what now? Also, The New York Times Corp is set to gobble up the Boston Globe soon. I literally cannot believe that people are just standing by and not doing anything to stop any of this, and that we didn't for the last eight years either. Of course things have changed a bit with Bush and Paulson starting the bailouts and Obama and Geithner continuing them, but that change at least wasn't change for the better by any sane standards.

Glass-Steagall, gone.

Posse Comatatus, gone (GG Northcom)

US Constitution and the rights it affords every American Citizen in general, gone (GG US Patriot Act and NSA Wiretapping that has yet to be actually revoked)

Habeus Corpus, gone (GG Gitmo and Bagram and we will STILL have Bagram)

Corporate accountability from the government, gone (I think we may have gotten some of that back)

And a few other absurdly major things I fucking forgot.

I mean, wtf? I really wanted Hope and Change, I wanted to believe that my country could come back from the last eight years. I really tried hard, I voted Obama, I could see long before the voting cycle came about that we needed to overthrow the fucking government under GW Bush and I called for it elsewhere on the Net. When Obama got elected I really tried hard, as hard as I could to believe, and then here we are; Geithner and Co. at it again. It's disgusting, it's despicable, it's deplorable, it's fucking ridiculous. We are being turned into a Banana Republic practically. WTF!? Ugh. I feel like I am in the Weimar Republic here or something, this is just gross. And now we have renamed the GWOT, begun to close up shop in Iraq, and are preparing to completely blow the top off the AfPak front and invade Pakistan. I am literally speechless, I can't believe anything from any politician anymore. I actually think we were totalitarian under Bush and it's growing worse, not better. It's despicable.

More and more CCTV's are being slapped up in the Subway Trains and National Security Pamphlets are being handed out advising passengers to keep an eye out for fellow passengers that are "behaving oddly" while the same message plays from the loudspeakers.We are literally being asked by our government to be paranoid and watch each other, that we are the "eyes and ears in the system" (to quote the loudspeaker message). I am speechless. I never thought I would live to see the day when this happened to my country.The next step once people become desensitized to the National Security Paranoia is to come up with lists of unacceptable behavior and start implementing those lists slowly. All the CCTV's will be in place. I just can't believe it, I just can't believe it. It stuns me everytime I sit down and really try to take it in and think about it. I wish I could keep burying my head in the sand with Hope and Change, or be comforted by the partisan illusions of TEABAGGERY vs. Hope and Change, but I can't. I cannot, it's all a joke now. The former Bush bots are a joke, the Tea Baggers are a joke, the Obamatrons are a joke, the Fox news Junkies are the usual joke, the New York Times is a fucking joke, it's all a Goddamn joke. The very real and beneficial phenomena of Globalization is even being used now to misdirect our attention from what's happening to us here at home. I mean, Globalization as it has and is panning out on the international level of communication and trade is a good thing, but Totalitarianism is Not. I can't believe this shit, I just can't believe it.

I always saw Bush as a puppet and Cheney as the puppeteer. I know one thing is certain, Bush destroyed all hopes of the Republican party ever winning a major election for the next decade to come.

• Super Moderator

Well, the man killed faith in the Republican party and government in general. I guess if your religious belief was tied into right wing politics, he could kill that faith as well.

But then it dawned on me. "God is not in control. If He was, He wouldn't let this bullshit happen to the church."

I thought God was in control for awhile. I figured it must just be some great end-times deception set-up by God to separate his "true

Church" from all the posers who where behind the "Decider". I supported some anti-right-wing dominionist ministries for a time, before

I began wondering why God would deceive so many of his sincere followers on purpose and maybe it was just impossible to know what

God's will really was. But I knew if there was a loving, benevolent God, he could not be behind such a corrupt, blood-thirsty regime just

to test and deceive people. So, W. was the beginning of the end for me.

Bush and his supporters were a factor. Not the main reason, but they nudged me down the road toward deconversion.