Retaliating To Repeated Flames

L2K

Alright, so I just have a situation that is bothering the crap out of me, but I don't know what I should do about it. I have my own ideas, but I would like to hear the opinions of some others. It's all an over-reaction, if you ask me.

This lovely story starts on Facebook, where I get a message from someone that hasn't talked to me in probably 4 or 5 months, questioning a Personal Message I had on Windows Live Messenger. It was in response to a message that I had, which was kind of "Against" Xtianity, you could say. I sometimes take quotes from here, make them up, whatever. So, this person just gets on Facebook, and the first thing she says to me in the past 5 months is how she bent over backwards not to be offended by it, and then continues by going the "My god loves me, your gods don't exist. You're a changed person who doesn't believe in religious freedom if you have something that is against Christianity" route in a message.

I, kind of surprised by this, retaliate with a message talking about how I believe that if Christianity can throw crap after crap after crap at the other cultures in the world, they had the right to joke back at them, and how Christians need to learn to deal with the fact that if they throw things at other cultures, it's only a matter of time before something is thrown back.

This obviously didnt go by too well, as she immediately accused me of labeling her, continued to say that I was accusing her of doing things to me, rather than me saying that Christians in general do that.

So, I retalitated once again, as I feel strongly about my faith, and don't exactly like it when someone comes in and starts ripping it to shit from one comment I have on my Windows Live account, especially since I haven't talked to the girl in 5 months. The retaliation was telling her that I never make huge fits about Christian symbolism, quotes, etc around the internet, that my personal message is not directed at any specific person, and that even if I had labeled her, she would've perfectly matched my statement of the fact that Xians can't take any crap thrown back at them, but they can deal with constantly throwing crap at everyone else.

So, I decided I'd check the next day for a reply, and probably wouldn't reply, since she had this whole "I'm right because I'm a Christian and you're not" attitude going on, so this morning, she apparently got a follower, whom also hasnt talked to me in months. 2 months to be exact, because he blocked me for me religiously harassing him (For making one statement about being irritated from having the Christ Birth story constantly thrown down my throat), and he started ripping into it too. His stuff made a little more impact than the original person. Stuff along the lines of "Since when did Odin become a God? No one believes in mythology anymore. You couldn't even name 10 people in the world who do"

It's been bothering the shit out of me all day, but the problem is that I've got two Mind-Sets going. Part of me wants to retaliate back, and once again stand up for my beliefs. Another part of me wants to leave it alone, because I know if I do it again, they're just going to get worse in their ripping, especially since the 2nd person blocked me (without giving me time to retaliate to his accusation of religious harassment) for telling him that it was irritating to have a christian story constantly shoved down my throat because I'm not Christian anymore.

If you were in my position, what would you do?

I responded once in one of the other forums here about an "anti-gun" thread, but my comments were summarily dismissed as irrelevant, and both sides are firmly entrenched in their views. I consider the thread a "wank fest" if you will, where everyone is touting their own opinions strongly and there seems to be no other goal than the pleasure of stating one's views while trashing the opposition. So I declined to respond any further, since it would only add to the puddle of venom and accomplish nothing. On the one hand it feels like I've been stung and my natural response is to do another post and continue the argument, but I can just ignore it and feel more at peace by letting the crap pass me by and moving on to other threads.

I prefer to sever toxic relationships rather than let them pollute my life. I don't hang out with Xians anymore because their mindset irritates me, as do their words (though they often cannot see why - to them it is reality, so it must be expressed; to us it is the lie we escaped, and we don't want to hear it anymore). You, not they, are in charge of how you will respond. Some people like to fight, but this sounds like it is really irritating you. So my suggestion is to let the flames pass, not because you can't answer them, but because they only pollute your peace.

It's been bothering the shit out of me all day, but the problem is that I've got two Mind-Sets going. Part of me wants to retaliate back, and once again stand up for my beliefs. Another part of me wants to leave it alone, because I know if I do it again, they're just going to get worse in their ripping, especially since the 2nd person blocked me (without giving me time to retaliate to his accusation of religious harassment) for telling him that it was irritating to have a christian story constantly shoved down my throat because I'm not Christian anymore.

If you were in my position, what would you do?

Sounds like there cannot be any real discussion (= exchange of opinions and arguments) in that conversation. As long as you feel like it's fun I say continue it - retaliate in kind - but don't think you can make them comprehend your position even the slightest bit. While Mr Orwell probably wasn't thinking about morontheism when he wrote "1984", you are effectively presenting arguments to people who will immediately apply crimestop when they reach them. They will not get through.

Technically, it's best to write them off. Sad but true.

HereticZero: By Personal Message, I'm referring to the Peronal Messages you can use on Windows Live Messenger, which pop up when someone logs into their Hotmail.

and thank you, Thurisaz and Fuego. As much as I'd love to continue the argument, I really don't want to have them come back at me even worse, so I'll just let it go. I don't have ties to them other than Facebook anymore anyways. Crimestop does always go into effect with them, so there is no point in it. That's what I was originally trying to do in the first place, to try to get them to see things as I saw them, not as they saw them.

Religious freedom doesn't mean we can't have opinions about religions, or judge an action caused by religion. When people perform actions, and claim to do so because of a belief system, we can judge those actions as bad without being oppressive towards the belief system. Otherwise the Church of Highway Speeding would be quite popular. If people want to believe in speeding as holy that is fine, but the police are not oppressing them when they protect the public by pulling them over.

As for the 'my god is real and yours isn't' all you can say is 'prove it'

L2K...

It is just the fuckin' InTARwebB....

Not like some fool is in your face swearin', spittin. kickin' and making you madder then hell...

What is this kind of shit worth to you? Taking this stuff seriously is awfully like gradeschool and its little groups of supposed haves and have-nots..

Now that we're adults we DO have the "fuckitall" switch, when turned to a good stiff OFF position most of life's shit slides off.

Use it... It works, especially with electronic life problems. Learn to choose your fights, ignore the bullshit you don't want to fuck with.

"Fuckitall", Not just a pill, it's a way of life!

kFuckitallL

Well, at the moment, it was worth something to me, as I used to be decent friends with these two. When a friend, or someone who you think is a friend, goes and does something like this, it's not exactly heart-warming. Now, is this purely internet-based? Technically, yes, though the two don't live that terrible far away with me. They're in the neighboring states in relation to Ohio, and I'd had a few conversations with them over the phone before.

Now, did I over-react like them? Yeah, I did. I've got a natural tendency to want to argue back when someone comes and says something like they did. Old habits die hard, as they say. Judging by the fact that the girl used to ask me about my faith all the time, even though she was Christian, made me think that I actually could get her to see my point of view and end this Hate Relationship that had started.