Goodbye Jesus

Do You Have Any Wisdom? If So...where Or How Did You Get It?

Kathlene

The only wisdom I've learned is like RS Martin's "if life gives you lemons make lemonade" as I have alot of disabiltes which I don't want to go thourgh them all here. Hell I'm not even sure I know what they all are. But I have found some advantages and I'm not just talking about parking spaces :P. For example my right eye is blurry thanks to being still-born however I find it comes handy when something comes on the telly that might gross me out what I do is cover my left eye and then whatever is on the screen is a blur.

I have the same attitude when it comes to my time spend with the JW's as if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't know the bible like I do and if anything it has made me even more interested in religions then before I went. And of course I wouldn't have discovered this brilliant site without it :D

Do You Have Any Wisdom? If So...where Or How Did You Get It?

Wal-Mart. Aisle 25 between the tampons and the chicken salad.

Don't buy that big box Wisdom. It's made in China from inferior ingredients.

I got my wisdom at Al's down on 42nd. He keeps it on the back bar right next to the ax handle. He only pours it if you're wise enough to ask. I think his granny makes it in a still back in the hills.

• Super Moderator
I god my wisdom at Al's down on 42nd. He keeps it on the back bar right next to the ax handle. He only pours it if you're wise enough to ask. I think his granny makes it in a still back in the hills.

LOL...That wisdom ties right in with an email I got this morning.... (Not to negate any good advice from a qualified therapist, but sometimes practical wisdom comes from unusual sources). :lol:

EVER SINCE I WAS A CHILD, I'VE ALWAYS HAD A FEAR OF SOMEONE UNDER MY BED AT NIGHT. SO I WENT TO A SHRINK AND TOLD HIM . . . 'I've got problems. Every time I go to bed I think there's somebody under it.

I'm scared. I think I'm going crazy.'

'Just put yourself in my hands for one year,' said the shrink. 'Come talk to me three times a week and we should be able to get rid of those fears..'

'How much do you charge?' 'Eighty dollars per visit,' replied the doctor. 'I'll sleep on it,' I said.

Six months later the doctor met me on the street. 'Why didn't you ever come to see me about those fears you were having?' he asked.

'Well, Eighty bucks a visit three times a week for a year is an awful

Lot of money! A bartender cured me for $10. I was so happy to have

Saved all that money that I went and bought me a new pickup!'

'Is that so!' With a bit of an attitude he said, 'and how, may I ask,

Did a bartender cure you?'

'He told me to cut the legs off the bed! - Ain't nobody under there now!!!

SCREW THOSE SHRINKS.. GO HAVE A DRINK & TALK TO YOUR BARTENDER!

The only REAL wisdom that I'd claim to posses involves heavy equipment repair. I have a damn near unnatural affinity for mechanical devices... and I can tell you stories about diesel engines that'll make your back hairs stand up.

But people are a different story- I don't really get them at all. I have learned a few rules of thumb, though, that have worked well for me. BTW, I didn't begin to learn ANY of this until I was at least 22.

A natural approach for me in most situations is cynicism, defensiveness, negativity, and pessimism. In a nutshell, that's the culture I was raised in. But I've learned through trial and LOTS of error that this is possibly the LEAST effective approach to just about any situation that I've encountered. Life is MUCH easier (and more enjoyable) when approached as an optimist.

And like it or not, cynicism IS a defense mechanism. I'm not too happy about that, but I think it's true for me... and probably for most people.

And give people compliments... nothing big or smarmy. But a genuine (and even very minor) compliment will get you a long-term ally. Those come in handy.

But lest ya'll get sick of this nonsense... my rules of thumb for life aren't ENTIRELY happy and optimistic. I've also learned that some people will NOT be treated as equals- they see this as weakness you your part. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt... and I'll usually wait a LONG time before I decide that a person fits into this category. But once identified, the most effective approach to dealing with them that I've come up with is to push their buttons as often and as hard as possible. Pretty quickly they'll learn that it's easier to just avoid you.

And that leads to a final cliche that I've found to be true: You teach other people how to treat you.

Wisdom isn't not falling down. That happens to wiseguys, fools and everyone in between. No, wisdom is picking something up off the floor while you're getting up.

It seems to me that the more I know, the more I know that I don't know.

Anyone who considers themselves wise most likely isn't.