Goodbye Jesus

Spock And Uhura?

But Spock died in Wrath of Khan..

Then was resurrected in the next movie. A plot device I hope is not used again anytime in the near future.

Kill off a major character so people will pay to see the next movie or watch the next episode. I hate that.

But Spock died in Wrath of Khan..

Then was resurrected in the next movie. A plot device I hope is not used again anytime in the near future.

Kill off a major character so people will pay to see the next movie or watch the next episode. I hate that.

What other movies? Next thing you'll be telling me there were other Highlander movies.

Or, heaven forbid, other Star Wars movies.

Oh. My. Gawd...I loved the new Star Trek movie, it was freakin' awesome!!!!!! If my big toes were thumbs, I'd give four thumbs up.

As a child, I loathed the Star Trek series and hated William Shatner. However, I liked the first Star Trek movie back in the day and the ones that followed (except for that stupid ass whale one), and my hubby and I adored TNG--can't stand any of the other Trek offshoots.

Anyway, I thought the directing was fantastic and that a better cast could not have been chosen. I thought the characters were true to the original (McCoy rocked) and the special effects were amazing without going over the top--all of it, spectacular. :-)

Saw it on IMAX last week.

For what it's worth, I've been watching Star Trek since before TNG ever aired. I sort of got lost in the shuffle of new series over time, but I've seen a large portion of even those shows over the years. I didn't see most of the newest stuff, DS9 and beyond, right as it aired, but I have seen the bulk of Star Trek as a whole over time.

I'm not a Trekkie, never have been, but I am a fan of the series as a whole. It was fun, sometimes horrible, but usually enjoyable for what it was. Good fun sci-fi that usually doesn't get too deep and stays mostly on the lighter side of things. Even if it does travel off that path on occasion, it's usually not very far off and gets back to it for the bulk of the time.

The new film was awesome. Trek purist are just bitching for no good reason and it was nothing like Star Wars aside from CGI quality [a complaint I've seen more than once], and that's not a bad thing at all. Get over it, plastic models just don't work anymore.

It fits with the established series, and goes out of it's way to become an Alternate Universe. It even comes up in the film.

The casting was great. Keith Urban and Simon Pegg were brilliant. I was particularly impressed with Urban in the role of Bones.

Anton Yelchin's Checov was excellent. John Cho, as Sulu was Meh. He gets the job done well, but I wasn't particularly impressed with what he did with the role.

Chris Pine as Kirk was inspired. He had Shatner's mannerisms and verbal pacing down pat. If Bill was dead, I'd say he was channeling the man's spirit in the role. He doesn't come off as trying to impersonate the man either. It's very well done, he and Urban impressed me the most in their roles.

Zachary Quinto's Spock was, well I wasn't as impressed as I was with Pine and Urban, but he did an excellent job with the role. It's cool that when he's seen in contrast with Nemoy he doesn't seem out of place at all.

Zoe Saldana as Uhura was decent, but only because she seemed fit in. She seemed a bit more feisty and nerdy than the more subdued, cool, and smooth Nichelle Nichols. Still, she does work in the part.

The cast was inspired. The special effects were awesome. The screenplay itself was average, but the cast rescues it just by being so good.

If you've not yet seen it, go now. You need to see this movie. It's good even if you're not a huge fan.

Anal retentive Trekkies need to learn what an Alternate Universe is. Considering what Star Trek has already done, they should know better. Nobody cares about quibbling details that don't really matter. They really don't. The only people who are bitching about this film are those Trekkies who have an anal retentive absurd religion of detail and unwillingness to accept any change on par with the Simpson's Comic Book Nerd.

Those people are a very distinct minority here. This film kicks ass.

It was an awesome movie. Still, people complaining about inconsistencies and plot holes in Star Trek are oblivious to the source. There are -tons- of them throughout the series. Remember the big one with Chekov in WoK?

Some of them are explained later, but others just hang forever. There are too many in the series to make complaining about a few of them in this film valid. Way too many. It contradicts itself and forgets about things that happened all the time. There are no major gaffs in this film, none on the level of WoK's Chekov screw up anyway.

Get over it, jeeze. Given what's happened in ST before, it just sounds like people are grasping at straws and being desperate to hate this film just for Nerd cred.

Star Trek desperately needed an update, in both the technology used, and the look. It got it here, and it's more awesome than it's ever been before because of it. This movie has tons of nods to it's source, it's respectful of the series, well written, spectacular to look at, and just plain fucking awesome, bar none.

If you've not yet seen it, and aren't busy arguing about the 'true' properties of dilithium crystals, and just what the real range of a transporter is, and how the calculations should totally really work, you should see this. It's well worth the price of a ticket.

It's epic win on every level, the best Star Trek movie yet made. Yeah. Really. [Though, at it's best, some of the other [even numbered] films did come close.]

Star Trek wasn't the greatest thing ever to begin with. It was good, pretty good. This movie is good, really good. It's above and beyond what has come before it.

I just heard on TV this morning that Spock and Uhura hook up in this new movie? WTF?? Are they ignoring everything that has been established in the last 40 years of Star Trek? What about Pon Farr?

I just came back from watching it. This new movie is very well done. I recommend everyone go see it!

As for Spock and Uhura - I remember one of the very earliest episodes "Charlie X" where Uhura is singing a song about Spock. I thought about that song and it made me wonder about their relationship. She sings:

"Oh, on the Starship Enterprise There's someone who's in Satan's guise, Whose devil's ears and devil's eyes Could rip your heart from you! At first his look could hypnotize, And then his touch would barbarize. His alien love could victimize... And rip your heart from you! And that's why female astronauts Oh very female astronauts Wait terrified and overwrought To find what he will do. Oh girls in space, be wary, be wary, be wary! Girls in space, be wary! We know not what he'll do."

if you're quoting that from memory I lay my crown of star trek geek-meister at your feet. I was going to make the same comment but couldn't remember the song.

I just got back from seeing Star Trek today. I waited a week because I was going with a friend and this was the first day they had free. I am 43 and grew up watching the original show on TV and then watched the repeats over and over. My roommate (after I graduated from high school) and I used to watch Star Trek and we would race to see who could name the title of the show first (based on the first few moments). I watched TNG and liked that as well, but I never got into any of the other Star Trek shows. I did like most of the movies, though.

I have to say that the movie Star Trek was absolutely AWESOME! I think the concept of how they moved it to an alternate reality was a fantastic (and yet simple) idea. This breathes new life into the series and allows them to take it to place it has never been before without having to worry too much with what has gone on before. However, at the same time, there was so much in this movie that was a good ol' tip o' the hat to the original series! I chuckled at the obvious lines that just HAD to be there ... and they were! The writers did not miss them! They made SURE to include them and they weren't overdone, but quite welcome. The guy gets on the shuttle and he's all in red and ... YES! ... you just KNOW he is going to die and die soon! And you start to chuckle in anticipation and it is not about being too predictable. In fact, it was SUPPOSED TO BE PREDICTABLE and, damn it, it worked! Loved it!

The actors were great! I looked at them, listened to them talk, watched how they moved and I found myself thinking, "Yes, I can imagine him/her acting that way when younger!"

I am a big fan of Heroes and I did not think that I could ever see Spock because of Siler. However, he did such a great job that he honestly became Spock for me! Impressive!

I never go to pay money to see a movie a second time. Never. I will do it for this one! I have a friend who has not seen it yet. I told him that I am taking him to see this film!

if you're quoting that from memory I lay my crown of star trek geek-meister at your feet. I was going to make the same comment but couldn't remember the song.

No - no more than the first line and the episode - the rest of the lyrics I looked up online. Isn't the internet wonderful? It's quite a memorable scene. This new movie really does take your memory back.

I agree with what DarthOkkata said on the Kirk and Spock portrayals in the new movie. Kirk was inspired, Spock not so much. Not that any of the performances were bad, but Nimoy is just always Spock to me.

I loved the portrayal of McCoy. Its great to see this character back. It made me realize how essential he was to the success of the series.

For me, seeing the characters come to life again was better than the plot, although I can see the necessity for the alternate time line.

Star Trek was awesome!

To answer the question: Did you see Uhura? She's a babe! It was logical!

Star Trek was awesome!

To answer the question: Did you see Uhura? She's a babe! It was logical!

Just makes you wonder if Vulcans have other "enhancements" besides intellect and brawn.

Just came back from the theater and I find that I cannot agree with most of the reviews here. The story was basically good. Many of the plot devices were bloody ridiculous. The CGI was very good. I even started liking the cast. Overall rating...Meh.

But since this is in the rants section.....

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, STOP SHAKING THE GODDAMN CAMERA. YOU'RE NOT CREATING EXTRA DRAMA, YOU'RE CREATING EYE-STRAIN!! :brutal_01: :brutal_01: :brutal_01: Jeezuz! They even rattled the POV around in the CGI scenes to the point that you couldn't tell what the hell was going on half the time.

Sorry to disagree with y'all and rant. But damn, that epileptic cameraman really pisses me off.

Sorry to disagree with y'all and rant.

We'll just have to disagree with your disagreement. ;)

Actually I agree with the overuse of handheld camera work. That was the only thing that really bugged me. I don't know when that style of camera work got really popular but it's always annoyed the hell out of me. Judicious use of it can be very effective at creating an unstable mood, but for some reason too many action film directors and cinematographers seem to think that if a little is good, then way too much is awesome.

Well, they're wrong. A little can be great, too much is audience seasickness.

Other'n that, though, my assessment stands. I still liked the new ST flick. :)

Still haven't managed to see this yet (No, you can't have my Trekkie card. I'm poor, dammit! >.<), but thinking back to The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield, I'm with Jack and Gwen. Strapping your camera to the head of an epileptic seal doesn't add drama or realism, it adds frustration and motion sickness. Knock it off.

Funny, I didn't notice the camera effect at all. Guess I was enjying the film too much or it just doesn't bother me.

I didn't notice the camera work either. I thought it all fit together nicely. But perhaps I am strange (well, we all KNOW that I am strange), but I liked the camera work in Battlestar Galactica as well. In fact, I am still upset that I have nothing to watch on Friday nights now that BSG is over! ;)

The camera work in BSG was perfect. The wavy "hand-held" scenes never happened during action sequences, so you didn't miss anything, and they added a neat little flavor. If the camera work in Star Trek is similar, I'll happily come back and retract my statement - at least WRT that movie. Blair Witch and Cloverfield are still on the chopping block.

As I recall, it's used for effect during 'onboard ship scenes' during the large scale space battle scenes. To show people getting knocked about and internal damage when they get hit by a missile or something. That's the only place I recall noticing it at all.

Doesn't happen during a fight or anything similar that I can remember.

Action scenes are unmarred and clear. Nothing like BWP or Cloverfield at all. I never had any trouble keeping track of what was happening on screen because of it.

I just saw the film yesterday. I have been a Trekkie since the original TV series. I've basically liked all the series and movies. But Deep Space Nine was unappealing to me for some reason. Overall I think TOS and TNG were the two best of the crop in the series. But this movie was very well done, and I could actually understand what was going on. The cast all pulled off great performances, even injecting a little humor. I also thought that the young actor who played Kirk as a young boy in the opening scenes did a nice job pulling off his part. The special effects were mind boggling.

I really liked it.