Goodbye Jesus

What Are You Doing On Sunday?

Amethyst

Today I'll be grading papers, doing license renewal paperwork, pricing quiz bowl buzzer systems, nordictracking, and walking the dogs.

Sleeping in, going on a motorcycle ride, watching the Superbowl and doing some homework.

• 2 weeks later...

On Sundays I watch the great Richard Hammond, James May and Jeremy Clarkson

Today? I played Final Fantasy X for the 100th time, possibly the millionth. That game never gets old. Also, I made cheeseburgers.

I worked this morning on the 'sabbath'. :twitch: A big picture fell off the wall when I was dusting and hit me right on the side of the head! For a minute

I thought it was god hammering me on the head. After the stars sub-sided - I went happily back to my housework and music. Then I played on my computer alllllllllllllllll afternoon!

Ya-hoo! I'm free from church - over 1 1/2 years!

Every. Single. Sunday. I think "HOLY SHIT I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!"

Every. Single. Sunday. I think "HOLY SHIT I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!"

You've always been free, you've just chosen to be free! Congrats!!

• 1 month later...

I usually play world of warcraft. I'm really gonna burn.

Guest Net Eng

Help my daughter and son-in-law settle in to their new apartment!!

Also catch up here at ExC!

Good to be here back home. :grin:

If we're talking about Sundays in general, I just do whatever I do all other days of the week.

If we're talking this Sunday in particular, I plan on celebrating my birthday. Yay!

If we're talking about Sundays in general, I just do whatever I do all other days of the week.

If we're talking this Sunday in particular, I plan on celebrating my birthday. Yay!

Happy Birthday (a little early)!

Sundays are generally reserved for hermit-time with the spouse. If we schedule anything it has to be in the early afternoon -- I need to be home, vegetating by the evening so I can start preparing mentally for the work week. (Being out until 8 or 9 makes me all agitated and ornery). Before we started this diet we're on, we'd sometimes try to go out for brunch, but we always ran into the post-church crowd (Sundays are also for sleeping in). So, Sundays are pretty boring from the outside, but they work. I get laundry done, maybe do some baking, and we watch whatever new movies we've picked up or some older ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Usually Saturday is my day to laze around in the morning and then get chores done the rest of the day. That way Sunday can be quiet and comfortable, used for socializing and stress reduction. It's my favorite day for getting together with people or going out with my husband. Last weekend I had tea with my friend in the morning and it was the first time this year I had sat at my table and listened to the birds sing in the green trees by the open window. If I could bottle and sell that feeling I'd be the world's richest person in no time.

• Super Moderator

This Sunday -- May 22 -- celebrating the Rapture Non-Event that will not have happened Saturday at 6pm local time.

lmao_99.gifGONZ9729CustomImage1539775.giflmao_99.gif

I love Sunday. It's been over a decade since I left the church, and there are still Sunday mornings where I wake up, realize what day it is, and grin from ear to ear because I don't have to go to church. biggrin.gif

I think we'll have to change that.

Getting drunk and having a BBQ outside a church is a fine way to start a Sunday IMHO. :D

Maybe hire a couple of strippers.

Have a few gay guys serving free sausages to everyone while cuddling each other...

Playing AC/DC's "highway to hell turned" up loud.

Yeah. I could have fun with this plan.

• 3 weeks later...

Movies, Xbox, BBQ, visit family...and a standing time for pickup soccer games every Sunday evening.

If I can, I go grocery shopping in the morning while all the Xians are otherwise occupied.

• 3 weeks later...

I work every day at the moment, My second job is doing Friday and Saturday nights at a Hotel. They can be pretty stressful so I usually just lay back and vedge on Sundays. My other easier job starts on midnight Sunday. The idea of taking one day off a week and relaxing is a good one. I don't think we should kill anybody who doesn't.

Sipping coffee and watching Star Trek. FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

• Like 1

I sat out on my deck this morning with a good book and hot coffee. :jerkit::cloud9_99:

Almost 2 years and I do not miss it for 1 second!! :P

• Like 1

I wish I could sleep in (I have a 5 month old and 2 year old). We go grocery shopping in the morning before the after church rush. Basically we just play with our kids and chill out. In the evening, we have dinner with family and friends. I think my husband thanks me every Sunday for me being cool about not going to church.

• Like 1

I wish I could sleep in (I have a 5 month old and 2 year old). We go grocery shopping in the morning before the after church rush. Basically we just play with our kids and chill out. In the evening, we have dinner with family and friends. I think my husband thanks me every Sunday for me being cool about not going to church.

I haven't dropped in on this thread before. I haven't been in even irregular church attendance in a good 15 years now, and it's been some time since I thought about what I do Sundays in the sense that this thread was probably established for, which is, "What are doing with yourself seeing as you're at loose ends and not going to church?"

It occurs to me that Sundays are still particularly laid back here in the US because there is just enough commerce shut down that people tend to focus on family more. I am a recent addition to a household where people more or less do their own thing, which is kind of different for me. The kids call it "chillaxing" these days. Sometimes we go out for breakfast together if we can do so before the church crowds pile in. I'm having a rare Sunday alone tomorrow, although in this house, I'm somewhat alone even when I'm not. I will probably go get myself a large hot latte, take a walk in the park, and go have a nice breakfast someplace, and maybe mow the lawn. Maybe I'll track down my son on the phone, or my brother. I have conversations with online friends, etc.

Frankly I never missed church. It was quite a time sink for me, as I was expected to go to both morning and evening services and once in awhile endure a pot luck dinner in between. Some people miss the sense of community, but somehow that fake making nice never seemed like community to me. Your mileage may vary, etc.

I remember that as my wife's illness progressed in the years before she died, our church attendance dropped to zero even though she was still a believer. One of the big reasons was that we realized no one was interested in us except for our level of involvement. Since my wife's symptoms were highly variable it was difficult for them to handle the fact that we couldn't be counted on to participate regularly in everything, to definitely show up on schedule and on demand. Between that and the need to accommodate her special needs if she attended services, they pretty much ran for the hills. It hurt her, but that's church folk for ya. In fairness to the church, her illness was hard on friendships in general, too, as people understandably want to be able to count on you, but still.

All in all, no great loss, and mostly a gain. For those relatively new to unbelief, give yourself a few years to fully accept the gift of an extra day per week. Don't make the mistake of using it to just work more, but do enjoy it, without guilt. You might say, it's what god intended :-)

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Today we celebrate the birth of noob!

Some people miss the sense of community, but somehow that fake making nice never seemed like community to me. Your mileage may vary, etc.

Ok, I'm new to posting. I'm replying to DesertBob.

I always felt a great sense of community in church when I was a youth and in college. But the most recent church my husband and I went to had 3 different services. So basically you would pass people you know and have some superficial chit chat. I even wonder if people have any idea we stopped going. Also, this time in our lives is more focused on our kids and my in-laws live close by. So we have created a new community and don't need the church community anymore. So that's why we don't miss it.