Goodbye Jesus

What Are You Doing On Sunday?

Amethyst

Today we celebrate the birth of noob!

Thank you, florduh!!!

Since I stopped going to church, Sunday is my second favorite day! Caturday is #1 because I can still look forward to Sunday. As I do every Sunday morning, today I had breakfast with my wonderful group of friends and then I headed to my parents house for my birthday celebration with the family. The day was full of friends, family, food and fun!!! :)

My life is devoid of routine right now, so Sundays are just like any other day, but last year I remember having a lot of rehearsals on Sundays. It was odd being in a building which superficially resembles a church every Sunday.

What am I doing instead of church? Sleeping in of course! :grin: Well that, and just relaxing in general. I don't miss church, and never will. Didn't like the rituals, and it never felt like a community to me. The main reason I endured it without protest as a kid is because I knew I'd be getting a fresh chocolate chip bagel afterwards! :yum: Lol

Today I'm breaking commandments, namely #4/10 (-working on the sabbath. I guess I'll have to get stoned ;-) lol-jk)

Today I'm breaking commandments, namely #4/10 (-working on the sabbath. I guess I'll have to get stoned ;-) lol-jk)

Works for me ....

I do not do work on holidays and weekends, especially Sundays. Not out of reverence for invisible sky fairies but because before I retired i worked almost seven days a week and in other jobs I always had to work holidays and weekends. Since retiring, I do my yard work or whatever around the house and do absolutely as little as possible on weekends. My motto: 'Whatever can be put off tomorrow can be put off today!' And I also enjoy telling the holy rollers who bang on my door on Saturdays and Sundays to fuck off! Aw, life is grand!

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows II, in IMAX 3D. With kids, wife, and some friends. Loved it.

• 3 weeks later...

2 blank canvases, paint, rainy Sunday morning and strong coffee. I found heaven!

I almost NEVER have a sunday off, and today I won't even have time for the gym before clocking in.

but last sunday I attended a "rationalists" meeting where we watched and discussed the short doc "Story of Stuff". It was done in time for me to get to pilates class. Unfortunately all the rationalists seem really old - seriously it was all physicists, nuke engineers, and ecomomists. and at 52 I was far and away the youngest.

that is frightening.

but at least I think I've found people I can communicate with. It will probably be another month before I can attend another meeting tho. they meet sunday mornings and tuesday nights and those are 2 days I never have off.

Tomorrow is the first day of school for students in my system. So I will spend my Sunday at my parents' lake house relaxing and scripting my classes. My kids and wife will swim and play.

I'm always terribly nervous at the beginning of a school year. I think it helps me focus. No matter how many years I teach, no matter how successfully I teach, I am alway nervous, almost to the point of nausea, when the next batch shows up. For the first two weeks, it's like I'm on a speed high. Then we all settle into a routine, more or less, and it is less stressful.

I can't savor the last hours of "freedom", because my mind is already enthralled by the task ahead. But it's cool; I'm kind of excited, as always.

Hanging out with other heathens on ex-christian. :)

On this holy day, I'm coming down from hard drugs (Big Pharma style, morphine and hydrocodone). I almost made it through two days of going cold-turkey, but I want to spend some time with my family today. So I relapsed, and took a few pills this morning, so I could function a bit. I'm sooo tired of having to choose from addictive pills, pain or smoking Mj. Mj could get me fired from my job, but it seems to help with the pain and I like that part of it. The only part I don't like is the stupefying affect it has. I can't focus properly when I use it.

Anyway, I'm feeling like a big pussy today. I'm tired of dealing with a job related injury, and not getting much help from my employer. I contracted a lawyer to help me, but he is so overwhelmed with many other clients, that he hasn't time to give me much advise. He said these things take time, but god damn, waiting sucks ass while in pain.

I'm trying to balance pain, work, addictions and relationships, but it's hard. I need this job to take care of my family, but I feel as if it's killing me. If I go out on disability, I fear I would not be capable of putting food on the table, or continue with the health benefits we have grown accustomed to.

That's what I'm doing this Sunday morning,,, feeling sorry for myself. I know I'll get through everything fine. Life will go on, no matter the outcome. But I'm growing more than just a little tired of it for now.

• 4 weeks later...

I like to take my kids to the dollar theater while everyone is still in church since there is no line and it makes me feel pleasurably naughty. Also, my old church is really close to the theater which heightens the sin! Then sometime in the afternoon after my wife returns from her job I'll probably hit the gym and then in the evening take my domesticated wolves to the dog park.

Or that WAS what I did. This weekend, NFL FOOTBALL!

• Like 1

I like to take my kids to the dollar theater while everyone is still in church since there is no line and it makes me feel pleasurably naughty. Also, my old church is really close to the theater which heightens the sin! Then sometime in the afternoon after my wife returns from her job I'll probably hit the gym and then in the evening take my domesticated wolves to the dog park.

Or that WAS what I did. This weekend, NFL FOOTBALL!

Hallelujah Praises Breesus!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to church in over 8 years and loving every second of it! Sunday mornings are our favorite time to relax over coffee and newspapers and I wouldn't spend it any other way.

Genealogical research into my family, I've made it back as far as the 11th Century! Reconnecting with cousins I have not seen in over 40 years, meeting new cousins I never knew I had, and getting a chance to contact folks in Britain and South Africa about the family. In between e-mails, I am drinking Scotch and Seagram's Dark Honey (damn that's good stuff!)

• 2 weeks later...

I usually practice Chinese calligraphy when woke up. Then wait until my wife wake up and prepare the breakfast. After breakfast, I preach Confucius and other Chinese classics. In my area, most 99%+ are Chinese. 20%- are Christian. Most primary and secondary school are denominational. Most people think Christian has higher moral standard. I think its important to teach my child the right way.

After preaching, may go sleep. Sometimes, we have a bike riding.

Ifs very free and has lots of alternative when abandoned going to church.

I, for the first time in YEARS, am LOVING Sunday mornings. They are so relaxing and replenishing, without having to go mingle with strangers and say "PTL".

We go for hikes and swim our pups in the river. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sundays now!

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I love Sunday mornings. I tend to wake up earlier than her and I let the dogs out. Then I make some coffee and just relax. When she gets up, we might have breakfast together (neither of us are big breakfast eaters) and we just hang out all morning. It's so quiet and nice. It is also one day when we know my family won't be calling us (they're all in church). It's "our" time together.

There's a nip in the air this morning. Quietly a light fog drifts over the lake. I hear geese in the distance, a woodpecker in the tree that stands next to the porch. The air is fresh with the scent of fall, the sun bright in the east.

Today would have been my father's eighty-fifth birthday, he was sixty-four when he died. I miss him!

Later I'll visit my mom, she won't know me, late stage Alzheimer's is completely "unmaking" her.

For now I'll just look and listen. I'll breathe in the clean crisp wondrous air for the three of us and watch life.

It is a good Sunday morning, after all.

• Like 1

It started out by spending some time in bed with my sweetheart(sinning). Got up late and made us some breakfast. It was a beutiful Fall day, about 85 degrees and dry. Hit the river for some fishing and did well. Finished off the day with a couple of fresh ducks on the grill.

I remember the church days. Morning church, preacher admonishing people for not spending an hour in prayer before church. I am like WTF,(some of my first questioning) some of these people have kids to get ready. By the time we got done eating out after church we would hurry to go do something for a few hours, scrambling like mad, before it was time for evening service. Things seemed to be a constant hectic rush.

• Super Moderator

Things seemed to be a constant hectic rush.

That's how I used to feel too. The "Day of Rest" was the most hectic stressful day of the week. I hated and dreaded Sundays.

But Not Any More.........................................biggrin.gif

If you are not kept busy, you might start thinking.

• 2 months later...

Well I am having a quiet morning. feeling really good about standing up for myself to the Christian lady who harassed me.

I am watching DIY programs on tv. drinking coffee. I sat outside for a little bit. the weather is mild today. It has been really cold and brrrr. but today is nice.

I plan on going out to the store maybe look at some holiday decorations. I have no problem with seeing the twinkly lights and putting cute snowman ornaments out and wintery things. I see it as the Winter Solstice and Christmas traditions are steeped in Pagan roots. so I don't feel hypocritical at all.

My son phoned me and asked if it was ok that he can come over and jam with a couple of his friends. He has a drum set out in my garage and his friends plays guitar. my son plays guitar too. but he's good on the drums. I don't mind, I actually like what they play, good rock stuff. My son loves Jimi Hendrix and classic rock stuff. Yes!!!!!! I like listening to it for a while and then I may have to put in my ear plugs. I said I will get some snacks in for them and he said hey that's cool.

yeah I can be sometimes...the cool mom and grandmom too. I have a one year old grandson too. He is a trip. I saw him yesterday. Love my little guy. He plays drums too. No kidding. He has some skills already. My son puts headphone on him to protect his ears but he has good co-ordination and hits the drums in time.

• 1 month later...

I either work or if i am not working I am usually in bed recovering from clubbing the nite before.Ah what i missed in my twenties!